Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected Post 302175676 by Herry on Friday 14th of March 2008 11:04:17 PM
Old 03-15-2008
Java awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there

i write one awk script file in shell programing
the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format

but i get an error

please can anybody help me out in this problem ??????

i give my code here including error

awk `
# date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day, Year
BEGIN {
listmonths = "January,Febmary,March,April,May,June,"
listmonths = listmonths "July,August,September,"
listmonths = listmonths "October,November,December"
split(listmonths, month, ",")
}

$1 != "" {
sizeOiArray = split($l, date, "/")
if (sizeOfArray == 1)
sizeOfArray = split($l, date, "-")
if (sizeofArray == 1)
exit
date[1] += 0
print month[date[1]], date[2]", 19" date[3]
}`

error : Syntax Error : `split' unexpected

please do something to solve my problem..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

"syntax error at line 21 :'done' unexpected." error message"

I am trying to run the script bellow but its given me "syntax error at line 20 :'done' unexpected." error message" can someone check to see if the script is ok? and correct me pls. Today is my first day with scripting. Gurus should pls help out #!/bin/ksh # Purpose: Check to see if file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibroxy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on shell script : syntax error at line 62: `end of file' unexpected

Hi All, I have written a korn script (code pasted below). It is giving the error while debugging "new.sh: syntax error at line 62: `end of file' unexpected". I have re-written the whole code in VI and explored all help related to this error on this Unix forum and tried it. Somehow, I could... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: schandrakar1
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

I have a very simple script that reads in the contents of a file (_open.txt) into an array "lyrics": #!/bin/sh # read in the text lyrics=( `cat _open.txt` | tr '\n' ' ') exit 0 It gives the following error message: ./lyrics.sh: 1: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")") I have... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash (Ubuntu server): Syntax error: "|" unexpected in While-loop

Hello forum, I hope my problem is easy to solve for someone in here! My main task is to copy a large amount of imap-accounts from one server to another. There is a tool (Perl) called imapsync which does the job exellent. Unfortunately I'm only able to run it on one account at a time. After... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: primaxx
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error near unexpected token `"Hit <ENTER> to continue:"'

the below code will search attr string inside makefile under the modelno on given path. echo "Enter model no for searching string inside makefile" read inputs2 #find /pools/home_unix/sapte/work/models/model/$inputs2 -name "makefile" | xargs grep "attr" \; #;;I am getting below error.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathigara
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with error "syntax error: unexpected end of file"

Hi Techies, can anyone please debug the following Script and let me know what is going wrong here. im getting the following error #!/usr/bin/bash # ############################################################################################## # # Variables # #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahi_mayu069
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with FTP Script which is causing "syntax error: unexpected end of file" Error

Hi All, Please hav a look at the below peice of script and let me know if there are any syntax errors. i found that the below peice of Script is causing issue. when i use SFTP its working fine, but there is a demand to use FTP only. please find below code and explain if anything is wrong... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahi_mayu069
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error"syntax error at line 15: `end of file' unexpected"

While i m running below code, it is giving me the error"syntax error at line 15: `end of file' unexpected". Pls let me know what is wrong here..i tried many ways, but no luck dbSID="SWQE" usrname="apps" password="Wrgthrk3" count=0 while do sqlplus $usrname/$password@$dbSID... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
5 Replies

9. BSD

Keep getting error "-bash: ./.profile_z2: line 52: syntax error: unexpected end of file"

#!/bin/bash #-------------------------------------------------------- # Setup prompt # Author Zeeshan Mirza # Data: 06-08-2017 #-------------------------------------------------------- if then . ./.profile_custom_pre fi umask 022 set -o vi export EDITOR=vi export VISUAL=vi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: getzeeshan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error: "Syntax error; unexpected end of file"

Hello all, I am running a script to generate a report and mail it to an email address. When I am trying to validate whether the file is a 0 kb file, I am getting the below error. Error: "Syntax error; unexpected end of file" Any suggestions please? Code: #!/bin/sh .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pradeep_Raj
1 Replies
date(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   date(1)

Name
       date - print date and time

Syntax
       date [-c | -u] [ +format ] [[yy[mm[dd]]]hhmm[.ss][-[-]tttt][z]]

Description
       If no argument is given, or if the argument begins with +, the current date and time are printed.  Otherwise, the current date is set.  The
       first mm is the month number; dd is the day number in the month; hh is the hour number (24 hour clock); the second mm is the minute number;
       .ss  the second; -[-]tttt is the minutes west of Greenwich; a positive number means your time zone is west of Greenwich (for example, North
       and South America) and a negative number means it is east of Greenwich (for example Europe); z is a one letter code indicating the dst cor-
       rection mode (n=none, u=usa, a=australian, w=western europe, m=middle europe, e=eastern europe); yy is the last 2 digits of the year number
       and is optional.  The following example sets the date to Oct 8, 12:45 AM:
       date 10080045
       The current year is the default if no year is mentioned.  The system operates in GMT.  The takes care of the conversion to and  from  local
       standard and daylight time.

If  the	argument begins with +, the output of is under the control of the user.  The format for the output is similar to that of the first
       argument to All output fields are of fixed size (zero padded if necessary).  Each field descriptor is preceded by % and is replaced in  the
       output by its corresponding value.  A single % is encoded by %%.  All other characters are copied to the output without change.	The string
       is always terminated with a new-line character.

Options
       -c     Perform operations using Coordinated Universal Time (UCT) instead of the default local time. The UCT does not use  leap  seconds	so
	      UCT is the same as GMT.

-u     Perform operations using Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) instead of the default local time.

+ format
	      The following is a list of field Descriptors that can be used in the format (Note: date exits after processing format information) :

%a   Locale's abbreviated weekday name

%A   Locale's full weekday name

%b   Locale's abbreviated month name

%B   Locale's full month name

%c   Locale's date and time representation

%d   Day of month as a decimal number (01-31)

%D   Date (%m/%d/%y)

%h   Locale's abbreviated month name

%H   Hour as a decimal number (00-23)

%I   Hour as a decimal number (01-12)

%j   Day of year (001-366)

%m   Number of month (01-12)

%M   Minute number (00-59)

%n   Newline character

%p   Locale's equivalent to AM or PM

%r   Time in AM/PM notation

%S   Second number (00-59)

%t   Tab character

%T   Time (%H/%M/%S)

%U   Week number (00-53), Sunday as first day of week

%w   Weekday number (0[Sunday]-6)

%W   Week number (00-53), Monday as first day of week

%x   Locale's date representation

%X   Locale's time representation

%y   Year without century (00-99)

%Y   Year with century

%Z   Timezone name, no characters if no timezone

%%   %

Examples
       The following command line
       date +%m/%d/%y
       generates the following output
       04/02/89
       The following command line
       date +"DATE: %m/%d/%y%nTIME: %H:%M:%S"
       generates the following output
       DATE: 04/02/89
       TIME: 14:45:05
       The quotes (") are necessary because the format contains blank characters. Use single quotes (') to prevent interpretation by the shell.

Diagnostics
       Failed to set date: Not owner
	    You are not the super-user and you tryed to change the date.  Do not change the date while the system is running in multiuser mode.

Restrictions
       An attempt to set a date to before 1/1/1970 will result in the date being set to 1/1/1970.

Files
       /dev/kmem

date(1)