Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris sshd (openssh) on SunOS without root privileges Post 302175322 by sayeo on Thursday 13th of March 2008 04:35:13 PM
Old 03-13-2008
sshd (openssh) on SunOS without root privileges

Hi, I've just managed to install openssh in my home directory on a server I have access to by using --prefix=$HOME/local after ./configure. Another thing I was having trouble with without root access was privilege separation, so I disabled that in my sshd_config. However, when I run ~/local/sbin/sshd, nothing happens. There is no mention of sshd in the process list either. Is it because I can't start a server from my home directory when there is already one running from the root directory?

The reason why I'm trying to do all this is that I want to use this server as a "middleman" to run a reverse tunnel to my home machine which is behind a NAT firewall, so that I can connect to my home machine from anywhere thru the middleman, as described here.

Anyone have any suggestions?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root privileges &Sudoer

Hi guys... how can a root assign a user all or most of the root privileges? is sudoer comand enough 4 this? thx alot.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blue_7
2 Replies

2. Programming

root privileges

Hi I have make a program that needs root privleges but any user can try to run it, so what I want it is, when any user tries( other than root ) to run the program, an input prompt would open to enter root password ( if user knows ) and program will run ( otherwise exit ), and after completing... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumsin
21 Replies

3. IP Networking

Change the root directory for apache, sshd and ftpd

Helo ! I want to do something and I don't know where to start... I want to make a small web hosting server (just for me and a few friends) and for the sake of learning I'd like to make an account for every user. The thing is that I want everyone to log into the server and to be put in his home... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sergiu-IT
3 Replies

4. Solaris

running sshd server from home directory without root access

Hi, I managed to install openssh from source on my home directory on a server I don't have root access to. I had problems with privilege separation because of permissions initially so I disabled it in sshd_config. But when I run sshd from where I installed it by doing ~/local/sbin/sshd, nothing at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayeo
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root privileges

Hello, As admin with root rights, to execute any command from another user without password-ask, I do : su - <user> -c "<cmd>" But how can I do to give the same rights to another physical user without using root user ? :confused: I've try to create another user "toor" with the same primary... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
4 Replies

6. Linux

grant root privileges to ordinary user

Hi, Is it possible to grant root privileges to an ordinary user? Other than 'sudo', is there some way under Users/Groups configuration? I want ordinary user to be able to mount, umount and use command mt. /Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brendan76
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Privileges like root

My English is no very good. I must make a bash scripting sh create like a backdoor, and when execute the script a user without privileges convert in super user or root, whithout introducing the password. In Spanish: Crear un script que sirva como puerta trasera al sistema, de manera que al... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kitievbr
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Gaining root privileges

Hello I am a new (and only) administrator of a Solaris 10 environment. The previous admin gave me a use (say user123) that is supposed to have administrative privileges. Now the problem is, the user does not have this privilege! Here is what i tried so far: $ id uid=109(user123) gid=1(other)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

User with root privileges in hp ux

hi, i am new in hp ux and i must create a user with root privileges and so i disable ssh connection from root login. thanks.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliste
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you gain root privileges if the suid program does not belong to root?

I had a question in my test which asked where suppose user B has a program with 's' bit set. Can user A run this program and gain root privileges in any way? I suppose not as the suid program run with privileges of owner and this program will run with B's privileges and not root. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies
libssh2_sftp_statvfs(3) 					  libssh2 manual					   libssh2_sftp_statvfs(3)

NAME
libssh2_sftp_statvfs, libssh2_sftp_fstatvfs - get file system statistics SYNOPSIS
#include <libssh2.h> #include <libssh2_sftp.h> int libssh2_sftp_statvfs(LIBSSH2_SFTP *sftp, const char *path, size_t path_len, LIBSSH2_SFTP_STATVFS *st); int libssh2_sftp_fstatvfs(LIBSSH2_SFTP_HANDLE *handle, LIBSSH2_SFTP_STATVFS *st) DESCRIPTION
These functions provide statvfs(2)-like operations and require statvfs@openssh.com and fstatvfs@openssh.com extension support on the server. sftp - SFTP instance as returned by libssh2_sftp_init(3) handle - SFTP File Handle as returned by libssh2_sftp_open_ex(3) path - full path of any file within the mounted file system. path_len - length of the full path. st - Pointer to a LIBSSH2_SFTP_STATVFS structure to place file system statistics into. DATA TYPES
LIBSSH2_SFTP_STATVFS is a typedefed struct that is defined as below struct _LIBSSH2_SFTP_STATVFS { libssh2_uint64_t f_bsize; /* file system block size */ libssh2_uint64_t f_frsize; /* fragment size */ libssh2_uint64_t f_blocks; /* size of fs in f_frsize units */ libssh2_uint64_t f_bfree; /* # free blocks */ libssh2_uint64_t f_bavail; /* # free blocks for non-root */ libssh2_uint64_t f_files; /* # inodes */ libssh2_uint64_t f_ffree; /* # free inodes */ libssh2_uint64_t f_favail; /* # free inodes for non-root */ libssh2_uint64_t f_fsid; /* file system ID */ libssh2_uint64_t f_flag; /* mount flags */ libssh2_uint64_t f_namemax; /* maximum filename length */ }; It is unspecified whether all members of the returned struct have meaningful values on all file systems. The field f_flag is a bit mask. Bits are defined as follows: LIBSSH2_SFTP_ST_RDONLY Read-only file system. LIBSSH2_SFTP_ST_NOSUID Set-user-ID/set-group-ID bits are ignored by exec(3). RETURN VALUE
Returns 0 on success or negative on failure. If used in non-blocking mode, it returns LIBSSH2_ERROR_EAGAIN when it would otherwise block. While LIBSSH2_ERROR_EAGAIN is a negative number, it isn't really a failure per se. ERRORS
LIBSSH2_ERROR_ALLOC - An internal memory allocation call failed. LIBSSH2_ERROR_SOCKET_SEND - Unable to send data on socket. LIBSSH2_ERROR_SOCKET_TIMEOUT - LIBSSH2_ERROR_SFTP_PROTOCOL - An invalid SFTP protocol response was received on the socket, or an SFTP operation caused an errorcode to be returned by the server. AVAILABILITY
Added in libssh2 1.2.6 SEE ALSO
libssh2_sftp_open_ex(3) libssh2 1.2.6 22 May 2010 libssh2_sftp_statvfs(3)