Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: find then grep
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find then grep Post 302175222 by flame_eagle on Thursday 13th of March 2008 10:56:47 AM
Old 03-13-2008
The find didn't work because of the -iname argument

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

find and grep

Hi, I need to find out a particular pattern from a directory, for example say X. The X directory contains 10 c files, and it has subdirectory called Y, and Y has 20 c files within it. Now I have to find out the pattern only from parent directory X not from sub directory Y. I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarwan
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and find

Hey, I have a question about using grep and find together to locate all C programs in a directory containing certain words and open the vi editor with each file. I'm not sure how to do this in one command (as in one line). I know find has a "-exec" option that can call vi, but how do you combine... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MEllis5
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find , grep

HI what is the difference between find and grep if I want to find all the files from different directories which contain "ORA" error, and the line number in each file which has ORA error should I use pipeline ? thanks James (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: james94538
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Find w/ Grep?

Hey, I have a Find command like: find $searchDir -type f and this returns a list of files under the directory, which is all good, but, I want to filter that search for files that contain the string "people" I tried something like: find $searchDir -type f -exec grep "people" '{}'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beefeater267
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using find with a grep

:wall:Hello, Im having trouble using the find and grep combined into one command. I have the following: find filname* -mmin -60 grep "ERROR" filename I want to find the "ERROR" text in any file created in the last hour in the current directory. I dont know how to end the command. If I leave... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aispg8
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep or find ?

I have a file called 'test.txt' that contains alphanumeric charecters. The file contains the word 'SBE' followed by other alphabets many times. For example, the file will contain: SBE334GH and also will have SBE77Y8I. When i do grep 'SBE*' test.txt - it outputs the entire file. Can you... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find/xargs/*grep: find multi-line empty "try-catch" blocks - eg, missing ; not in a commented block

How can I recursively find all files in a directory and print out the file and first line number of any text blocks that match the below cases? This would seem to involve find, xargs, *grep, regex, etc. In summary, I want to find so-called empty "try-catch blocks" that do not contain code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifechamp
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Grep

Is it possible with find and Grep to search files under a directory and display only files that have multiple occurrence of a string (In AIX)? Anybody has an example code? If not what are the other options? Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: J_ang
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using grep in find

Hi, On AIX, We have several moveplan.xml files in different folders. I run: find /u0/appl_top/ -name moveplan.xml -exec grep -i Passphrase {} \; And it returns <name>Custom Identity Keystore Passphrase File</name> <name>Custom Trust Keystore Passphrase File</name> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies
MRTG-FAQ(1)							       mrtg							       MRTG-FAQ(1)

NAME
mrtg-faq - How to get help if you have problems with MRTG SYNOPSIS
MRTG seems to raise a lot of questions. There are a number of resources apart from the documentation where you can find help for mrtg. FAQ
In the following sections you'll find some additonal Frequently Asked Questions, with Answers. Why is there no "@#$%" (my native language) version of MRTG? Nobody has contributed a @#$%.pmd file yet. Go into the mrtg-2.16.2/translate directory and create your own translation file. When you are happy with it send it to me for inclusion with the next mrtg release. I need a script to make mrtg work with my xyz device. Probably this has already been done. Check the stuff in the mrtg-2.16.2/contrib directory. There is a file called 00INDEX in that directory which tells what you can find in there. How does this SNMP thing work There are many resources on the net that explain SNMP. Take a look at this article from the Linux Journal by David Guerrero http://www.david-guerrero.com/papers/snmp/ And at this rather long document from CISCO. http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/snmp.htm The images created by MRTG look very strange. Remove the *-{week,day,month,year}.png files and start MRTG again. Using MRTG for the first time, you might have to do this twice. This will also help when you introduce new routers into the cfg file. What is my Community Name? Ask the person in charge of your Router or try 'public', as this is the default Community Name. My graphs show a flat line during an outage. Why ? Well, the short answer is that when an SNMP query goes out and a response doesn't come back, MRTG has to assume something to put in the graph, and by default it assumes that the last answer we got back is probably closer to the truth than zero. This assumption is not per- fect (as you have noticed). It's a trade-off that happens to fail during a total outage. If this is an unacceptable trade-off, use the unknaszero option. You may want to know what you're trading off, so in the spirit of trade-offs, here's the long answer: The problem is that MRTG doesn't know *why* the data didn't come back, all it knows is that it didn't come back. It has to do something, and it assumes it's a stray lost packet rather than an outage. Why don't we always assume the circuit is down and use zero, which will (we think) be more nearly right? Well, it turns out that you may be taking advantage of MRTG's "assume last" behaviour without being aware of it. MRTG uses SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) to collect data, and SNMP uses UDP (User Datagram Protocol) to ship packets around. UDP is connectionless (not guaranteed) unlike TCP where packets are tracked and acknowledged and, if needed, retransmitted. UDP just throws packets at the network and hopes they arrive. Sometimes they don't. One likely cause of lost SNMP data is congestion; another is busy routers. Other possibilities include transient telecommunications prob- lems, router buffer overflows (which may or may not be congestion-related), "dirty lines" (links with high error rates), and acts of God. These things happen all the time; we just don't notice because many interactive services are TCP-based and the lost packets get retransmit- ted automatically. In the above cases where some SNMP packets are lost but traffic is flowing, assuming zero is the wrong thing to do - you end up with a graph that looks like it's missing teeth whenever the link fills up. MRTG interpolates the lost data to produce a smoother graph which is more accurate in cases of intermittent packet loss. But with V2.8.4 and above, you can use the "unknaszero" option to produce whichever graph is best under the conditions typical for your network. AUTHOR
Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> 2.16.2 2008-05-16 MRTG-FAQ(1)