Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to start/stop cron jobs on live server Post 302175063 by santosh.mane on Thursday 13th of March 2008 01:09:23 AM
Old 03-13-2008
Restart cron.

Instead of killing the daemon and starting it. Use /etc/init.d/cron stop and /etc/init.d/cron start.

OR

if you just wish to refresh the cron daemon to reread the entries give HUP signal to cron daemon.

#kill -HUP PID #### (PID is for cron daemon)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Start/Stop Script

I'm a newbie to the Unix world Help! I have to maintain a host of Sybase database servers sitting on Unix Sun Solaris 8...I've been tasked with finding/creating a way to auto start/stop Unix via unix commands, specifically when the Unix servers need to be restarted we want Sybase to start... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjv1
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Help: how to start/stop FTP server in solaris?

As the title. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eddsos
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the jobs running in background and stop

Hi All, I have requirement. I am running a job every 30mins. before starting the process, i need to check the process, if the process is still running then i need not trigger the process again, if it is not running then trigger the process again. I am using cron to trigger the shell script. Can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivas_paluku
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cron jobs in a unix server

Dear all, Is it possible to view all the cronjobs set under all the userids in a server. Or view all the cronjobs in the server? Thanks in anticipation, Sree. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejith_VK
2 Replies

5. Linux

Why service (start|stop) can not be called from cron?

Hi, When I googled, I came to know that I can not call the command "service <service-name> start" from cron, insted I have to specify path to the service-name. I wanted to know the reason. Thanks, Hansini (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Cron jobs and at jobs

There are two jobs in Solaris , Cron and at jobs.. I know how to disable or enable cron jobs. How can I enable at jobs and disable it. Kindly help. Rj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron VPN Client start/scp/stop

Hi, Anyone can help me on how my script will run on crontab, When I manually run my script, it work. But when I put in cron didn't work. #crontab schedule 00 16 * * * /home/scriptdir/myscript.sh # myscript.sh #!/bin/bash echo "mypassword"| sudo -S /etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to stop all the cron jobs

Hi All, Please provide the command to stop all the cron jobs. Thanks in Advance Regards, Sindu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira_s
2 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Is it mandatory or not to stop/start Applcation server ehen Restarting Database Server?

Good afternoon I need your help please. There is a Mantenance Windos which needs to Restart de Database Server 192.x.x.97 to set up some configuration Is it mandatory or not to stop/start Applcation server that runs in 192.x.x.95 ? Is it mandatory or not to stop/start apache and Tomcat?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to stop and start server

Hi, I need to create a shell script for automated server patching, with the following scenario: I have two Linux servers Primary and secondary. Server patching should start on Primary 1st and then secondary. 1st check both servers are up and running. Then stop primary and patching will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcroyal88
1 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
Cron executes commands at specified dates and times according to the instructions in the files /etc/crontab and /etc/crontab.local. None, either one, or both of these files may be present. Since cron never exits, it should only be executed once. This is best done by running cron from the initialization process through the file /etc/rc; see init(8). The crontab files consist of lines of seven fields each. The fields are separated by spaces or tabs. The first five are integer patterns to specify: o minute (0-59) o hour (0-23) o day of the month (1-31) o month of the year (1-12) o day of the week (1-7 with 1 = Monday) Each of these patterns may contain: o a number in the range above o two numbers separated by a minus meaning a range inclusive o a list of numbers separated by commas meaning any of the numbers o an asterisk meaning all legal values The sixth field is a user name: the command will be run with that user's uid and permissions. The seventh field consists of all the text on a line following the sixth field, including spaces and tabs; this text is treated as a command which is executed by the Shell at the specified times. A percent character (``%'') in this field is translated to a new-line character. Both crontab files are checked by cron every minute, on the minute. FILES
/etc/crontab /etc/crontab.local 7th Edition October 23, 1996 CRON(8)