Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Proper use of prune...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Proper use of prune... Post 302175036 by guriboy on Wednesday 12th of March 2008 10:06:56 PM
Old 03-12-2008
Proper use of prune...

My goal was to find any directories inside of any directory called "09_Client Original" not modified in the last 30 days.
Code:
$ find /Volumes/Jobs_Volume/ -type d -name "09_Client Original" -exec find {} -mtime +30 -type d -maxdepth 1 \;

The results of this find are passed along in a perl script to this command, which is the Stuffit command line utility for MacOSX:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/stuff -f sit5 -m 2 -o -D /results/from/above

This works fine for me, but I have run into an issue. Sometimes there are huge directories [>50GB] inside of "09_Client Original" that make it impractical to run the stuff command on.

I'd like to rename these directories with a _phsht suffix and prune the results in my find command. I tried this:
Code:
find /Volumes/Jobs_Volume/ -type d -name "09_Client Original" -exec find {} -mtime +30 -type d -maxdepth 1 \( -type d -name "_phsht" -prune \) -o -print \;

The results of this command list files in the results. I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command with prune help

I have a directory named https-abcd Under that I have some directories, files and links. One of those directories is with name logs and the logs directory has lot of files in it. I need to tar the whole https-abcd directory excluding the logs directory only, I should get all the links, files and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_nbk
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using prune with find command

Hi, I am using a find command like below in my script: find /outfiles -type f -name cat -o -name vi -o -name grep 2>/dev/null Which will search for files like "cat" , "vi" or "grep" in the "/outfiles" and subdirectories. I want to ignore a particular subdirectory from the search. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
4 Replies

3. Linux

doubt in -prune option

i want to find only the file t4 in directory t3. i am in dir t . the tree is as follows. if i give, find . o/p is . ./t4 ./t1 ./t1/t2 ./t1/t2/t3 ./t1/t2/t3/t4 ./t1/t2/t4 ./t1/t4 directories are like t/t1/t2/t3 and each directory has file t4. my question is , i want to find file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhuvaneshlal
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find with prune option

Hi, I want to list files only from the current dir and its child dir (not from child's child dir). i have the following files, ./ABC/1.log ./ABC/2.log ./ABC/ABC1/A.log ./ABC/ABC1/B.log ./ABC/ABC1/XYZ/A1.log ./ABC/ABC1/XYZ/A2.log Here i want to list only the log file from current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use -path and -prune with find

OK, I'm trying search and destroy tabs again. This time I'm having trouble excluding certain directories from my search. Here is what I have tried and it is not ignoring the top level build directory: find . -path ./build -prune -name \*.java -o -print | xargs grep -i ' ' I don't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find + prune + mtime

Hi, i try to catch all files in a dir ,without going down in subdir , which don't have file extension and older than 10 days for example: my dir : drwxr-xr-x 7 notes01 notes 4096 Mar 8 14:11 . drwxr-xr-x 116 root system 4096 Mar 9 11:17 .. -rw-r----- 1 notes01... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find prune Trash

How do I run a find without is looking in ./Trash gregg@gregg-desktop:/media/Audio$ find . -type f ! -name '*.jpg' -size 1M -print |head find: `./.Trash-1000/expunged/2781324553/mp3-to-m4b-batch': Input/output error find:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: -prune and -name options

I am trying to find all .rhosts files on some unix systems. I tried just -name ".rhosts" but we have a lot of really large NFS and MVFS systems that I do not want to crawl and I am having a hard time excluding them. I also need to scan more than just /root /home and /users, so I really need to scan... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Usage of -prune and -name in find

I am into cd /home/work/amey/history-*/ Under amey I have directories history, history-1, history-2 and under history-2 I have got 2 files 3 and 2. When I run the find command I get the below o/p. find /home/work/amey/history-*/. -name . -o -prune -type f /home/work/amey/history-1/.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ameyrk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using prune with find

Hi, I have two files under two separate directories as in: find . -name test.sh ./test.sh ./abc/test.sh I want my find to only look for the file test.sh that is under the current directory and not one under /abc How do I use prune to achieve this? I am on AIX (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
3 Replies
lndir(1X)																 lndir(1X)

NAME
lndir - create a shadow directory of symbolic links to another directory tree SYNOPSIS
lndir fromdir [todir] DESCRIPTION
lndir makes a shadow copy todir of a directory tree fromdir, except that the shadow is not populated with real files but instead with sym- bolic links pointing at the real files in the fromdir directory tree. This is usually useful for maintaining source code for different machine architectures. You create a shadow directory containing links to the real source which you will have usually NFS mounted from a machine of a different architecture, and then recompile it. The object files will be in the shadow directory, while the source files in the shadow directory are just symlinks to the real files. This has the advantage that if you update the source, you need not propagate the change to the other architectures by hand, since all source in shadow directories are symlinks to the real thing: just cd to the shadow directory and recompile. The todir argument is optional and defaults to the current directory. The fromdir argument may be relative (e.g., ../src) and is relative to todir (not the current directory). Note that RCS, SCCS, and CVS.adm directories are not shadowed. Note also that if you add files, you must run lndir again. Deleting files is difficult because the symlinks will point to places that no longer exist. BUGS
The patch routine needs to be able to change the files. You should never run patch from a shadow directory. Use a command like the following to clear out all files before you can relink (if the fromdir has been moved, for instance): find todir -type l -print | xargs rm The following command will find all files that are not directories: find . ! -type d -print lndir(1X)