Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to grep / zgrep to output ONLY the matching filename and line number? Post 302174952 by vvaidyan on Wednesday 12th of March 2008 05:18:37 PM
Old 03-12-2008
Thanks Keelba, from your program, I got it into one liner:

(echo "1.txt";echo "2.txt") | xargs zgrep -n STRING | awk -F: '{printf "%s %s", $1" -", $2 "\n"}'

Later:

xargs zgrep -n STRING | awk -F: '{printf "%s %s", $1" -", $2 "\n"}'

I placed the above line in a file: vv-grep

Then, I can run this script neatly as:

(echo "1.txt";echo "2.txt") | ./vv-grep

The final thing which I want to enhance here is only for the input string to be searched for, so that the program can be executed like:

(echo "1.txt";echo "2.txt") | ./vv-grep STRING

I am trying to find out how I can get input in command line parameter to the script.

Thanks for the great help. I was able to understand your suggestion and could mould it in the way I wanted.

It will be great if you could tell me if you know as how to get the input from comand line parameter to the script.

vvaidyan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Losing filename in grep output

I have the following line in a script that searches files in several directories and shows the search results on the screen. ls "$path" | xargs cat | tr -s " " | fgrep -i "$search_arg" But, because I'm also using CAT and TR, the output from the search does not display the name of the file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: netguy
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep all files matching partial filename

What would be the easiest way to grep all files within a particular directory that match a partial filename? For example, searching all files that begin with "filename.txt" and are appended with the date they were created. I am using Ksh 88, btw. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get Filename and Line Number using grep

Hi, I am using the Korne shell to try and get the filename, line number and the line of text using grep e.g. find ./ -type f -name "*.java" -exec grep -nf test.txt '{}' \; (test.txt contains strings to search) will return the line number and the line of text. grep -l would return the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ceemh3
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep string and output filename

Hello, I have over 200 files and some of them have the string like "John price $200". I would like to grep the string. Then output the filename which found the string. I have the following script, but it ONLY output the string echo Please input list file name: read listn for file in `cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find out line number of matching string using grep

Hi all, I want to display line number for matching string in a file. can anyone please help me. I used grep -n "ABC" file so it displays 6 ABC. But i only want to have line number,i don't want that it should prefix matching context with line number. Actually my original... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to grep a number from output line

I`m having a output shown below, CFR 235,BBC DM-2 ALL CFR 111,BBC DM-2 ALL CFR 333,BBC DM-2 ALL from the above Output i want to use 235,111,333 as input for other purpose. these no always change every time i run script.so please suggest me the way i could do it with example,i have tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin_aaa27
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep and zgrep then display the next few lines

Hello everyone. I would like to know if I can use grep or zgrep to search for a particular pattern then print the x number of lines after the pattern was found. Lets say for example a pattern was found on line 3, I wanted the output to show lines 3, 4 and 5. Thanks! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read each line in fileA, replace in all files with matching filename

Hello, I supposed that I asked the similar question but I could not have found it when I search on our forum. EXYU+: EXYU%3A+HRT+1 EXYU%3A+HRT+2 EXYU%3A+HRT+3 EXYU_url: #SERVICE 1:0:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:http%3A//xxxx%3Ayyyy@mmmm%3A55555/stream/channelname/YYYY?profile=htsp7777.ts #SERVICE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert the line number from text file to filename output

Hi everyone :) I have a file "words.txt" containing hundreds of lines of text. Each line contains a slogan. Using the code below i am able to generate an image with the slogan text from each line. The image filename is saved matching the last word on each line. Example: Line 1: We do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to control grep output intact for each matching line?

I have multiple (~80) files (some can be as big as 30GB of >1 billion of lines!) to grep on a pattern, and piped the match to a single file. I have a 96-core machine so that each grep job was sent to the background to speed up the search: file1.tab chr1A_part1 123241847 123241848... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)