Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dash after ampersant
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers dash after ampersant Post 302174932 by csecnarf on Wednesday 12th of March 2008 03:47:06 PM
Old 03-12-2008
So... by closing stdout you are sending the output to nowhere. Is like that?

Thank you!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

double-dash options

I need to create a file that accepts arguments and options, and the options have to allow for single-dash options (-abc) and double-dash options (--help). What is the best way to do this? Getopt(s) is great for single-dash, but chokes on double-dash. Do I really need to save the arguments to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhinge
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ignoring a dash in file name

so i have a simple file called -x and i need it renamed to x now i dont understand why when using the most basic methods, only the code mv ./-x x changes the file name while using any other type of escape characters around the dash, such as single/double quotations or backslash, doesnt. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LumpSum
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove dash

hi I am using ksh #A="abc-def" #typeset -u B="$A" #echo $B ABC-DEF how to remove the dash? i.e. ABCDEF? thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting string before first dash in a file name

Hi all, Given a file name such as EXAMPLE=lastname-02.30.71-firstname-town-other.tar.gz How do I print everything before the first dash (i.e. lastname) Note: I do not know exactly how many dashes or what information there will be in each file name so it is important that the code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Exclude dash (-) from word separators in vi

vi uses dash and space as word separators. is there any way to exclude dash from word separators ? This is required to work with the symbols generated by ctags exe. when symbol contain a "-" ,vi tags fails to locate that even though symbol is generated properly. For example Symbol -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cabhi
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude dash in grep

Hi, I must be overlooking something, but I don't understand why this doesn't work. I'm trying to grep on a date, excluding all the lines starting with a dash: testfile: #2013-12-31 2013-12-31code: grep '^2013-12-31' testfileI'm expecting to see just the second line '2013-12-31' but I don't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
3 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Installing Dash Shell on OS X Lion

For those interested in installing dash shell on OSX Lion to help test POSIX compliancy of shell scripts, it is quite easy. I did it like this: If you don't have gcc on your system: 0. Download and install the Command Line Tools for Xcode package from Sign In - Apple * 1. Download the dash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scrutinizer
2 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

'time' does NOT work on a function in 'dash'.

Hi guys and gals... I am writing a piece of code that is dash compliant and came across this error. I have put it in the OSX section as that is what I am using. I have no idea what the 'dash' version is but was installed about 6 months ago. MBP, OSX 10.12.6, default terminal running dash on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

A dash to GOTO or a dash from GOTO, that is the question...

Well, guys I saw a question about GOTO for Python. So this gave me the inspiration to attempt a GOTO function for 'dash', (bash and ksh too). Machine: MBP OSX 10.14.3, default bash terminal, calling '#!/usr/local/bin/dash'... This is purely a fun project to see if it is possible in PURE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
XZDEC(1)							     XZ Utils								  XZDEC(1)

NAME
xzdec, lzmadec - Small .xz and .lzma decompressors SYNOPSIS
xzdec [option]... [file]... lzmadec [option]... [file]... DESCRIPTION
xzdec is a liblzma-based decompression-only tool for .xz (and only .xz) files. xzdec is intended to work as a drop-in replacement for xz(1) in the most common situations where a script has been written to use xz --decompress --stdout (and possibly a few other commonly used options) to decompress .xz files. lzmadec is identical to xzdec except that lzmadec supports .lzma files instead of .xz files. To reduce the size of the executable, xzdec doesn't support multithreading or localization, and doesn't read options from XZ_DEFAULTS and XZ_OPT environment variables. xzdec doesn't support displaying intermediate progress information: sending SIGINFO to xzdec does nothing, but sending SIGUSR1 terminates the process instead of displaying progress information. OPTIONS
-d, --decompress, --uncompress Ignored for xz(1) compatibility. xzdec supports only decompression. -k, --keep Ignored for xz(1) compatibility. xzdec never creates or removes any files. -c, --stdout, --to-stdout Ignored for xz(1) compatibility. xzdec always writes the decompressed data to standard output. -q, --quiet Specifying this once does nothing since xzdec never displays any warnings or notices. Specify this twice to suppress errors. -Q, --no-warn Ignored for xz(1) compatibility. xzdec never uses the exit status 2. -h, --help Display a help message and exit successfully. -V, --version Display the version number of xzdec and liblzma. EXIT STATUS
0 All was good. 1 An error occurred. xzdec doesn't have any warning messages like xz(1) has, thus the exit status 2 is not used by xzdec. NOTES
Use xz(1) instead of xzdec or lzmadec for normal everyday use. xzdec or lzmadec are meant only for situations where it is important to have a smaller decompressor than the full-featured xz(1). xzdec and lzmadec are not really that small. The size can be reduced further by dropping features from liblzma at compile time, but that shouldn't usually be done for executables distributed in typical non-embedded operating system distributions. If you need a truly small .xz decompressor, consider using XZ Embedded. SEE ALSO
xz(1) XZ Embedded: <http://tukaani.org/xz/embedded.html> Tukaani 2010-09-27 XZDEC(1)