Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Log4j overwriting logs! ..sometimes... Post 302174839 by .Chris. on Wednesday 12th of March 2008 09:30:01 AM
Old 03-12-2008
PHP Log4j overwriting logs! ..sometimes...

Hey,
hoping someone here can help me. I'm using log4j for logging in a Java server. Its using DailyRollingFileAppender and rolls every hour. The reason I'm posting here is that in windows it works fine, but in unix it doesnt. What happens is the logs are logged in a file, lets say 'requests'. Then every hour the requests are rolled. so after the first hour of the day we would have the file 'requests-08-03-12-01.log'. Then requests for the current hour will be logged in requests again. Problem is that if we stop the server then restart what happens is that the requests that were currently logged in 'request' get written to the previous log file, overwriting any existing info. This doesnt happen in windows. Also I read about changing directories and it seems to work if we log to a different directory, i.e. it doesnt overwrite anything on restart. So any ideas as to why when we use this directory we have this issue?

Thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep yesterday logs from weblogic logs

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would go search and get the info from the logs based on yesterday timestamp and write yesterday logs in new file. The log file format is as follows: """"""""""""""""""""""""""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish.parker
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwriting File

How to overwrite every time a particular portion of a file? ---------- Post updated at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:07 PM ---------- I have a file whose contents are something like: Output of "apachectl fullstatus" command: ---------------------------------------------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

log4j - my unix version

Hi, I am starting to do a log4j framework but with unix shell script. So, this framework, will create the log file, will put all info in there, and will close the log file. He will only work whenever he is called by the father script. Now, I want him to be able to work with different father... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pipoca
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change values in Log4j.xml using ksh script

Hi, I am new to UNIX and shell scripting. I have to create a shell script(ksh) which parses log4j.xml file for a given webservice name and change the corresponding value from INFO to DEBUG or vice-versa. My log4j.xml looks like:- <!-- Appender WEBSERVICENAME--> <appender... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjeevcseng
3 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

overwriting on a file

I have loads of files in different directories which I do miner changed on them and till now I have to create totally new directories for them, specially as I deal with a whole directory at once :wall::wall::wall::wall: it creates such as mess really e.g. FILES="F1/*" for X in $FILES do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File overwriting

Hi, An application is transferring a file to linux system with same file name. As file is transferring with same name always file will be overwritten. In this case we want to know what times file was overwirtten like below. Modify: 2014-05-12 00:52:01.000000000 Modify: 2014-05-12... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
2 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Logrotate with catalina.out "daily compressed file is overwriting the logs"

Hi Everyone, We are trying to do a logrotate for "catalina.out" daily, So have used the "copytruncate" option in the logrotate configuration but ended up seeing there was a 0kb file touched with "catalina.out" and the other file with the current date(compressed) file created and seems the log is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thiyagoo
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log4j combining lines to single line

Hi, Our log4j file contents look like this: 2018-11-20T00:06:58,888 INFO ql.Driver: Executing command(queryId=hive_20181120000656_49af4ad0-1d37-4312-872c-a247ed80c181): CREATE TABLE RESULTS.E7014485_ALL_HMS_CAP1 AS SELECT name,dept from employee Where employee='Jeff'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
4 Replies
ROTATELOGS(8)							    rotatelogs							     ROTATELOGS(8)

NAME
rotatelogs - Piped logging program to rotate Apache logs SYNOPSIS
rotatelogs [ -l ] [ -f ] logfile rotationtime|filesizeM [ offset ] SUMMARY
rotatelogs is a simple program for use in conjunction with Apache's piped logfile feature. It supports rotation based on a time interval or maximum size of the log. OPTIONS
-l Causes the use of local time rather than GMT as the base for the interval or for strftime(3) formatting with size-based rotation. Note that using -l in an environment which changes the GMT offset (such as for BST or DST) can lead to unpredictable results! -f Causes the logfile to be opened immediately, as soon as rotatelogs starts, instead of waiting for the first logfile entry to be read (for non-busy sites, there may be a substantial delay between when the server is started and when the first request is handled, meaning that the associated logfile does not "exist" until then, which causes problems from some automated logging tools). Available in version 2.2.9 and later. logfile rotationtime The time between log file rotations in seconds. The rotation occurs at the beginning of this interval. For example, if the rotation time is 3600, the log file will be rotated at the beginning of every hour; if the rotation time is 86400, the log file will be rotated every night at midnight. (If no data is logged during an interval, no file will be created.) filesizeM The maximum file size in megabytes followed by the letter M to specify size rather than time. offset The number of minutes offset from UTC. If omitted, zero is assumed and UTC is used. For example, to use local time in the zone UTC -5 hours, specify a value of -300 for this argument. In most cases, -l should be used instead of specifying an offset. EXAMPLES
CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.nnnn where nnnn is the system time at which the log nominally starts (this time will always be a multiple of the rotation time, so you can synchronize cron scripts with it). At the end of each rotation time (here after 24 hours) a new log is started. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs -l /var/logs/logfile.%Y.%m.%d 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.yyyy.mm.dd where yyyy is the year, mm is the month, and dd is the day of the month. Logging will switch to a new file every day at midnight, local time. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 5M" common This configuration will rotate the logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes. ErrorLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/errorlog.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S 5M" This configuration will rotate the error logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes, and the suffix to the logfile name will be cre- ated of the form errorlog.YYYY-mm-dd-HH_MM_SS. PORTABILITY
The following logfile format string substitutions should be supported by all strftime(3) implementations, see the strftime(3) man page for library-specific extensions. o %A - full weekday name (localized) o %a - 3-character weekday name (localized) o %B - full month name (localized) o %b - 3-character month name (localized) o %c - date and time (localized) o %d - 2-digit day of month o %H - 2-digit hour (24 hour clock) o %I - 2-digit hour (12 hour clock) o %j - 3-digit day of year o %M - 2-digit minute o %m - 2-digit month o %p - am/pm of 12 hour clock (localized) o %S - 2-digit second o %U - 2-digit week of year (Sunday first day of week) o %W - 2-digit week of year (Monday first day of week) o %w - 1-digit weekday (Sunday first day of week) o %X - time (localized) o %x - date (localized) o %Y - 4-digit year o %y - 2-digit year o %Z - time zone name o %% - literal `%' Apache HTTP Server 2010-11-06 ROTATELOGS(8)