Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting deleting 'carriage return' from string Post 302174600 by ShawnMilo on Tuesday 11th of March 2008 02:33:45 PM
Old 03-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by viko
i get string from a sql query, so it's in a variable: $string

i can't see carriage return any time in variable, because echo $string does no print these. and i'm not sure i'm talking about a CR.

<snip>
If you pipe the line(s) to "od -c" you will be able to "see" the special characters (\t for tabs, etc.). That should help you make a more precise fix.

Example:

cat file.txt | od -c

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture carriage return.

I try to test the carriage return in a variable. $ LENGTH=`expr $VARIABLE : ".*"` will return the length of the variable. But this doesn't work if $VARIABLE has zero length. Any help will be well appreciated. Thanks in advance. Giovanni (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dont want carriage return

I have observed with print & echo, they produce carriage return <CR> or newline, after they display string next to them. Is there anyway to avoide these <CR> after the intended string is displayed? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

carriage return and linefeed

hi can anyone please tell me the difference between carriage return, linefeed and newline ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfi8er
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove ^M (carriage return) with string manipulation

Hello, I want remove ^M at end of my files line if I use command : tr -d '\r' <inp>out it work fine but get I the same result by manipulating the string ? I want this because in my text file I manipulate some other part I have input "the cat^M" I want output "the cat" I have made... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquila_1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 carriage return within a record

Hi all, need your help in replacing carriage return in a record. Input: col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|col8|col9|col10 1|aa|bb|cc|dd|eee eee|ff|ggggg|hh hhh|iii 2|zz|yy|xx|ww|vv|uu|tt|ss|rr Output: col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|col8|col9|col10... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search_Replace with a Carriage Return

Hey folks, I've been working on this for some time. Seems simple, but I'm stumped. I need the following data format: New_York:Commercial Geology Geophysics Petrophysics Production_Engineering Reservoir_Engineering Pasadena:Commercial ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leepet01
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Carriage return in a file after particular string

Hi All, I want to remove carriage return in a file using some unix command without writing a script my file is as follows abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 I want the output as follows: abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 , Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish8484
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Carriage return ksh

Hello, How do i usecarriage return in ksh. I want to do an echo "bla bla" and another echo "bla bla" will appear and replace the first echo on screen. I tried: until ; do echo "bla bla \r" done please advice. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute \n with carriage return

Hello all, I've a flat file in the following format: AB\001\CDED\001\ABC\001\nEG\001\HIJF\001\EFG\001\nHI\003\HIUL\003\HIJ\003 And I want to substitute \n with the carriage return. Any help is appreciated! Regards, - Seth (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh string replacement over a carriage return

Hi. I need to make multiple string replacements in a file but several of the strings have been broken up by a carriage return so that the first few characters are on one line and the remainder on the following line. E.g like the word 'post' in the following: Use descriptive thread... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Big_Jeffrey
3 Replies
SNMPGET(1)							     Net-SNMP								SNMPGET(1)

NAME
snmpget - communicates with a network entity using SNMP GET requests SYNOPSIS
snmpget [COMMON OPTIONS] [-Cf] AGENT OID [OID]... DESCRIPTION
snmpget is an SNMP application that uses the SNMP GET request to query for information on a network entity. One or more object identifiers (OIDs) may be given as arguments on the command line. Each variable name is given in the format specified in variables(5). OPTIONS
-Cf If -Cf is not specified, some applications (snmpdelta, snmpget, snmpgetnext and snmpstatus) will try to fix errors returned by the agent that you were talking to and resend the request. The only time this is really useful is if you specified a OID that didn't exist in your request and you're using SNMPv1 which requires "all or nothing" kinds of requests. In addition to this option, snmpget takes the common options described in the snmpcmd(1) manual page. Note that snmpget REQUIRES an argu- ment specifying the agent to query and at least one OID argument, as described there. EXAMPLES
The command: snmpget -c public zeus system.sysDescr.0 will retrieve the variable system.sysDescr.0 from the host zeus using the community string public : system.sysDescr.0 = "SunOS zeus.net.cmu.edu 4.1.3_U1 1 sun4m" If the network entity has an error processing the request packet, an error packet will be returned and a message will be shown, helping to pinpoint in what way the request was malformed. If there were other variables in the request, the request will be resent without the bad variable. Here is another example. The -c and -v options are defined in the snmpcmd(1) manual page. (Note that system.sysUpTime is an incomplete OID, as it needs the .0 index appended to it): snmpget -v1 -Cf -c public localhost system.sysUpTime system.sysContact.0 This example will return the following: Error in packet Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB. This name doesn't exist: system.sysUpTime Similarly, the command: snmpget -v1 -c public localhost system.sysUpTime system.sysContact.0 Will return: Error in packet Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB. This name doesn't exist: system.sysUpTime system.sysContact.0 = STRING: root@localhost With the -Cf flag specified the application will not try to fix the PDU for you. SEE ALSO
snmpcmd(1), snmpwalk(1), variables(5). V5.7.2 18 Jun 2007 SNMPGET(1)