Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: problem with tar
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users problem with tar Post 302174483 by ajcannon on Tuesday 11th of March 2008 07:52:40 AM
Old 03-11-2008
problem with tar

First of all I have already asked about this in the scripts/perl forum but the advice I got did not do the trick.

A script I have to use unzips some xxx.tar.gz files and then tries to tar -xvf them. on the tar -xvf I get the following:-

tar: code/sql: Cannot utime: Operation not permitted
tar: code/scripts: Cannot utime: Operation not permitted
tar: code/maestro: Cannot utime: Operation not permitted
tar: code: Cannot utime: Operation not permitted

It was suggested to me that the OS was not happy with the tar file (maybe created under another flavour of UNIX). Accordingly, I have now got the tar files created under the same unix flavour

Linux <hostname> 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20 17:03:35 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Does anyone have any ideas?

regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar Problem

I need to do a bakcup for some files, in the same tape but in diferente time.... at 9am i need the file /public/test1.txt then... tar -cvf /dev/st0 /public/test1.txt at 12pm i need the file /public/test2.txt the.... tar ¿? /public/test2.txt in this point i have problem beacuse when... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sokobans
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar problem

hi , On AIX 4.3.3 I typed the following command tar -cvf <filename> ( actually I forgot to type the device name) the output was change in the file size to 10240 bytes I tried tar -xvf to extract the same but file size is same. The file was "txt" file and was readable before the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar problem

Can someone please verify for me if tar compresses the directory or filesystem it is asked to back up?? reason am asking is I checked the size of the /home directory before running a tar command now, after I ran the tar command and the tar was done extracting the directory from the archive, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar problem

I am using a tar command to backup my system. It works properly. I have had some trouble and I need to restore a few files. I am using the following command : tar xvf /dev/rmt2h myfile_to_restore The tar command seemd to work but after a long time I got the following error message :... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: renard
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar doubts - problem with tar

The below tar command works fine for me, tar -cvf - `find ./srcdir -type d` | (cd ./destdir ; tar -xvf - ) but this version is giving error to me: cd ./srcdir && tar -cf - . | gzip -9 | cd ../destdir && gzip -d | tar -xf - error is: gzip: compressed data not read from a terminal.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar problem

I've done a tar -cvf data.tar * in our live data directory on a Solaris machine. I copy the tar file to the test area and try tar -xvf data.tar . and it uses the full path in the tar file and overwrites the live ones again. I've used tar many a time and don't understand why its happening.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kinhell
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem is tar

i have some 685 files in my directory.Below the count: find . -name "CurrentCollectorMeterReadBackup_2009*" -exec ls -ltr {} \; | wc -l 685 i want to tar them but it is telling me arg list too long. how to tar all this files in one shot tar -cvf - -L... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ali560045
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

9. Linux

tar problem

can someone help me here. apparently, the colon i included in the name of this file is making it difficult for tar to untar it. please help ####### tar xvf DailyConfigs_Nov-19-11\:00-2009.tar rsh: DailyConfigs_Nov-19-11: Name or service not known tar: DailyConfigs_Nov-19-11\:00-2009.tar:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies
BF_TAR(1)																 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. 07/23/2007 BF_TAR(1)