Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting deleting 'carriage return' from string Post 302174260 by Franklin52 on Monday 10th of March 2008 02:23:13 PM
Old 03-10-2008
Or:

Code:
sed 's/^M$//' file > newfile

Press Ctrl-V then Ctrl-M toget ^M in the sed command.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture carriage return.

I try to test the carriage return in a variable. $ LENGTH=`expr $VARIABLE : ".*"` will return the length of the variable. But this doesn't work if $VARIABLE has zero length. Any help will be well appreciated. Thanks in advance. Giovanni (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dont want carriage return

I have observed with print & echo, they produce carriage return <CR> or newline, after they display string next to them. Is there anyway to avoide these <CR> after the intended string is displayed? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

carriage return and linefeed

hi can anyone please tell me the difference between carriage return, linefeed and newline ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfi8er
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove ^M (carriage return) with string manipulation

Hello, I want remove ^M at end of my files line if I use command : tr -d '\r' <inp>out it work fine but get I the same result by manipulating the string ? I want this because in my text file I manipulate some other part I have input "the cat^M" I want output "the cat" I have made... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquila_1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 carriage return within a record

Hi all, need your help in replacing carriage return in a record. Input: col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|col8|col9|col10 1|aa|bb|cc|dd|eee eee|ff|ggggg|hh hhh|iii 2|zz|yy|xx|ww|vv|uu|tt|ss|rr Output: col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|col8|col9|col10... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search_Replace with a Carriage Return

Hey folks, I've been working on this for some time. Seems simple, but I'm stumped. I need the following data format: New_York:Commercial Geology Geophysics Petrophysics Production_Engineering Reservoir_Engineering Pasadena:Commercial ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leepet01
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Carriage return in a file after particular string

Hi All, I want to remove carriage return in a file using some unix command without writing a script my file is as follows abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 I want the output as follows: abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 , Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish8484
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Carriage return ksh

Hello, How do i usecarriage return in ksh. I want to do an echo "bla bla" and another echo "bla bla" will appear and replace the first echo on screen. I tried: until ; do echo "bla bla \r" done please advice. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute \n with carriage return

Hello all, I've a flat file in the following format: AB\001\CDED\001\ABC\001\nEG\001\HIJF\001\EFG\001\nHI\003\HIUL\003\HIJ\003 And I want to substitute \n with the carriage return. Any help is appreciated! Regards, - Seth (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh string replacement over a carriage return

Hi. I need to make multiple string replacements in a file but several of the strings have been broken up by a carriage return so that the first few characters are on one line and the remainder on the following line. E.g like the word 'post' in the following: Use descriptive thread... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Big_Jeffrey
3 Replies
HW_GETOBJECT(3) 							 1							   HW_GETOBJECT(3)

hw_GetObject - Object record

SYNOPSIS
mixed hw_getobject (int $connection, mixed $objectID, [string $query]) DESCRIPTION
Gets an object record. If the second parameter is an array of integer the function will PARAMETERS
o $connection - The connection identifier. o $objectID - The object identifier, or an array of identifiers. o $query - The query string has the following syntax: <expr> ::= "(" <expr> ")" | "!" &lt;expr> | /* NOT */ <expr> "||" <expr> | /* OR */ <expr> "&amp;&amp;" <expr> | /* AND */ <attribute> <operator> <value> <attribute> ::= /* any attribute name (Title, Author, DocumentType ...) */ <operator> ::= "=" | /* equal */ "<" | /* less than (string compare) */ ">" | /* greater than (string compare) */ "~" /* regular expression matching */ RETURN VALUES
Returns the object record for the given object ID if the second parameter is an integer. If the second parameter is an array of integer the function will return an array of object records. In such a case the last parameter is also evaluated which is a query string. SEE ALSO
hw_getandlock(3), hw_getobjectbyquery(3). PHP Documentation Group HW_GETOBJECT(3)