Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Shell Script Dependency/Tracer Post 302174236 by ag79 on Monday 10th of March 2008 12:37:02 PM
Old 03-10-2008
Shell Script Dependency/Tracer

Hello All,

We have a very old system at hand in which there are hundreds of shell scripts that use other shell scripts, all on the same server. There are several that are not used at all as well. In short, it's an unmanaged system thats been lying around for many years, and it needs to be cleaned up.

One of the ways I've been thinking of is to build a script that shows the plan of execution, given a seed script. For example, if a script A calls B and C and B calls M and N, then the given a seed of A, the script produces something like:

A
++B
++++M
++++N
++C

The intent of course is to identify which scripts are in use, and which ones are not.

Alternatively, I have considered checking the access timestamp using the -a option of ls to identify the script not being used for a long time. However, it does not give me the results I need.

Of course, I welcome other solutions to this problem and your experience if you've faced similar situations.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process dependency

how to find all the processes associated with a given process in unix,is there any command for this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laddu
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Dependency problem

Hi all am new to solaris ............ i installed amanda client pkg that time am getting lots of dependency problem.......... is there any Yum server like things in solaris Regards ' prAn (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pran
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling 'n' number of shell scripts based on dependency in one shell script.

Hello gurus, I have three korn shell script 3.1, 3.2, 3.3. I would like to call three shell script in one shell script. i m looking for something like this call 3.1; If 3.1 = "complete" then call 3.2; if 3.2 = ''COMPlete" then call 3.3; else exit The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi369
1 Replies

4. Infrastructure Monitoring

Weird dependency problem!

Hi, I want to install net-snmp-devel package but i have following dependecy problem. It's very odd, i don't get it. One of packages is depended on the other one, the other one is depended on the previous one as well. :S :S Could you help me please? Here are the steps: # ls -l total... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oduth
4 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Tynt Tracer Must Die

First of all, I want to thank everyone who runs this forum for the fine job they've done. While I myself have not yet had any need for help, I have enjoyed and learned while helping others. Due diligence disclaimer: I searched for a discussion on this issue, using "tynt" and "copy paste", but... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: alister
11 Replies

6. Programming

Fortran dependency checking

Hello, I'm creating an add-on for a large piece of software written in Fortran. In my directory I reference subroutines in other directories, which in turn reference more subroutines. I'm running into trouble because on occasion the developers of the main software change some sub calls. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kudude
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

make -j dependency

Hi, I had a make file, something like that, all: cd dir1; make cd dir2; make the problem is the makefile under dir2 need some objs from dir1, so I need to set some dependency let dir2 run only after the dir1 run is done. how to set the dependency? Thanks. peter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: laopi
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Library dependency coming out of nowhere

I'm building on a HP-UX ia64 system. During building, I'm getting an error ld: Can't find dependent library "libnnz10.so" Nowhere in my makefile do I link with this library. This library is there in the directory /databases/oracle10.2.0_64BIT/lib. I'm having two source files ora8ibulk.cpp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: old_as_a_fossil
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing Dependency Printing

Gurus, I came across a typical requirement where the input is like- TRANS FIRM DEPT CUST TRANS CUST TRANS DEPT FIRM CUST & the expected Output is- CUST DEPT FIRM TRANS This is basically a dependency list for processing the tables where FIRM is feeding data to TRANS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapeeljoshi
3 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)