Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Checking passwords - scripts
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking passwords - scripts Post 302174200 by sysgate on Monday 10th of March 2008 10:51:32 AM
Old 03-10-2008
Meta answer - use expect scripting language, or its child - autoexpect - look at the man pages for both, they are very useful when automating unix passwords or similar tasks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass passwords to bash scripts?

I'm finding the following command very tedious to type in all the time, so I created a one line bash script called mount.bash with the following contents: mount -t cifs //mark/C\$ -o unc=//mark\\C$,ip=10.1.1.33,user=Administrator,password=$1 /mnt/mark I don't like the fact that I have to put... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

QA checking for shell scripts

Hi all Does the notion of QA make sense when talking about shell script development? I would like to put in place such a QA procedure to ensure the code we provide is full compliant with certain norms we think are right. I just thought it would be a good idea to ask the community about the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle Passwords in Unix scripts

Hi Most of the shell scripts I am dealing with have to connect to oracle database . The username password is stored in a environment file which sets the variables for username and password . Set user id do not work on AIX so users who will execute these scripts need to have read or execute... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: clifford
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error Checking in Shell scripts.

What i need to do is when the database connection is not successful , the script should move to next list i.e skip the current. But when i do this - if ; then break; fi The script break but it goes to the condition - if ; then for LIST in $LISTS do for TABLE in $TABLES do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH - Passing Unix login passwords through shell scripts

Hi All , I need to call a script runscript_B.sh on server A, the runscript_B.sh script locating in server B. The runscript_B.sh in calls another script runscript_A on server A itself. it seend, i need to be connect from Server A to Server B using ssh. I have tryed like this in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

Scripts to move files via FTP with error checking

Hi Members, Can members please advise or suggest how to write UNIX script which move all zip files in source directory and when done delete zip files from source directory? We want to delete only on successful transfer to the destination. secondly want to add some error checking if the FTP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dxj0815
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in?

I've been using various versions of UNIX and Linux since 1993, and I've never run across one that showed your password as you type it in when you log in, or one that stored passwords in plain text rather than encrypted. I'm writing a script for work for a security audit, and two of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
5 Replies

8. SCO

Stop boot system at "Checking protected password and checking subsystem databases"

Hi, (i'm sorry for my english) I'm a problem on boot sco unix 5.0.5 open server. this stop at "Checking protected password and checking subsystem databases" (See this image ) I'm try this: 1) http://www.digipedia.pl/usenet/thread/50/37093/#post37094 2) SCO: SCO Unix - Server hangs... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: buji
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store the passwords securely and use in scripts?

I want to store the passwords in a global file, so that all the users will not use them to login but a process should use it. One way is to keep the passwords in a .ini file and execute the file in the start of the script and use that variable. But with this, one can echo the variable in the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
15 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)