Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting simple count script outputting mass errors Post 302174042 by fpmurphy on Sunday 9th of March 2008 07:31:31 PM
Old 03-09-2008
There are numerious errors in your code. The error you showed us relates to the fact that you are not putting a space in front of all the ']''s associated with if statements.

Furthermore, your logic is wrong. Check out the following
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#count execution script

time=0

while [ $time -le 1000 ]
do

time=`expr $time + 1`

if [ $time = 100 ]
  then
       echo "The current tick is 100"
  fi
  if [ $time = 200 ]
  then
     echo "The current tick is 200"
  fi
  if [ $time = 300 ]
  then
     echo "The current tick is 300"
  fi
  if [ $time = 400 ]
  then
     echo "The current tick is 400"
  fi
  if [ $time = 500 ]
  then
     echo "The current tick is 500"
  fi

if [ $time = 600 ]
  then
     echo "The current tick is 600"
  fi
  if [ $time = 700 ]
  then
     echo "The current tick is 700"
  fi
  if [ $time = 800 ]
  then
     echo "The current tick is 800"
  fi
  if [ $time = 900 ]
  then
     echo "The current tick is 900"
  fi
  if [ $time = 1000 ]
  then
     echo "The current tick is 1000"
  fi
done

Note that this can be simplified even further to

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#count execution script

time=0

while [ $time -le 1000 ]
do

time=`expr $time + 1`
  tick=`expr $time % 100`

if [ $tick = 0 ]
  then
       echo "The current tick is $time"
  fi

done

and if we really wanted too, we could eliminate a couple of more lines of code.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

VI questions : mass changes, mass delete and external insert

Is it possible in VI to do a global change but take the search patterns and the replacement patterns from an external file ? I have cases where I can have 100,200 or 300+ global changes to do. All the new records are inside a file and I must VI a work file to change all of them. Also, can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr not outputting properly.. bsd sh script

When i run sh -x test.sh, expr outputs x=expr $x + 1 instead of doing the arithmetic.. been working on this overnight.. and its being a pain in the arse if you ask me.. :confused::confused: #!/bin/sh #script for downloading numerical filenames chap=1 p=1 count=0 x=1 while do if ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspect_p
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to rename in mass

Basically, I have a huge amount of files (ripped audiobooks) that all have the same garbage in their filenames. I'm wondering how to go about writing a bash script to mass rename them. Example filenames as they stand now: The First CD - 1x01 - Title 1.mp3 The First CD - 1x02 - Title 2.mp3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: audiophile
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Assistance - Outputting to file with Awk

I'm trying to take a list of domains, find out the MX resolve it to IP then find out what the NS is and output the contents to a new file. The only problem i'm having is when checking the Ip or host of the MX i can only get it to print the column with the MX record and the results of the host... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spartan22
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Truncation Occurs When Outputting Shell Script to stderr

Operating System: Solaris 10, Shell We are outputting the results of our scripts to the stderr file. However we have encountered a problem where some of the lines in the file are truncated. Is there a way to increase the terminal or column size within the script so that this does not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fazzasx
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script to count files

Hello, I am new to shell scripting and I need your help. I have found similar scripts in the forum but I need further assistance. I am building a script to use hourly in cron to mailx me if the number of files in a path is less than e.g 100 I have started with the following: #!/bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

line count with if /else - syntax errors

this is the script: ps -ef|grep "x_jobstat 10 v001" > jobstatv001.txt ps -ef |grep "x_jobserver 10 v001" >> jobstatv001.txt #Sample text - each line preceded by 4 spaces # root 133064 102986 0 08:49:28 pts/6 0:00 grep x_jobstat 10 v001 # root 137550 1 0 Nov 08 - 0:28... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwalkner
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of errors within logs for last 6 months

I have directory /test/logs which has multiple logs: audit.log audit.log.1 audit.log.2 audit.log.3 audit.log.4 audit.log.5 audit.log is current log file and audit.log.X are archive log files. I need to search within these log files and count word "error-5" logged within last 6 months... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djanu
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting Errors to a Log file

Good Morning, Every so often, I have copy scripts that to don't complete, but I don't immediately know why. It usually ends up being a permissions issue or a length issue. The scripts edit a log file, so I'd like to include any copy errors/issues in that file to check if the copies... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple question about charecter count

Hi, I have collection of letters in a column such as: AA5678 AA9873434 .. .. I am trying to find the number of charecters in each. "echo "AA5678"|wc -c 7----------------> why does it give 7 instead of 6? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvosu
6 Replies
INSTALLSIEVE(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   INSTALLSIEVE(1)

NAME
installsieve - user utility for managing sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
installsieve DESCRIPTION
installsieve is a utility that allows users to manage their sieve scripts kept on the server. OPTIONS
-v <name> View script with the given name. The script if retrieved sucessfully is output to standard output. -l List all of the scripts currently on the server. If one of the scripts is active a arrow is printed indicating that it is the active script. -p <port> Port to connect to. If left off this defaults to "sieve" as defined in /etc/services. -i <file> Install a file onto the server. If a script with the same name already exists on the server it is overwritten. Upon sucessfully putting the script on the server the script is set active. If <file> has the extension .script it is chopped when put on the server since sieve names may not contain a '.'. -a <name> Set <name> as the active script. The list of available names can be obtained from the '-l' option.. -d <name> Delete the sieve script on the server with <name>. -m <mechanism> Force installsieve to use <mechanism> for authentication. If not specified the strongest authentication mechanism is chosen. -g <name> Get the sieve script with <name> and save it to disk with a ".script" extension. If a file with that name already exists it is overwritten. -u <user> Userid/Authname to use for authentication; by default, the current user. CMU
Project Cyrus INSTALLSIEVE(1)