Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk & cut record separator problem Post 302173986 by pondlife on Sunday 9th of March 2008 12:04:49 PM
Old 03-09-2008
fpmurphy - you were right! Thanks Smilie

I just had to tweek it like this:

Quote:
IFS=""
i.e. setting it to NULL.

I put this in my script before the cut's and it's doing the job!

Thanks again,

p.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

record separator

can anyone tell me any way to change record separator (default is new line). RS in nawk as not working. Thanks in advance. Regards Rochit (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - double quotes as record separator

How do I use double quotes as a record seperator in awk? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using > as record separator

I have tried to use ">" as record separator, but it doesn't work. I have tried this: awk BEGIN{RS=">"}'{print $0}' input output: awk: BEGIN{RS=>}{print $0} awk: ^ syntax error awk BEGIN{RS="\>"}'{print $0}' input awk: BEGIN{RS=\>}{print $0} awk: ^ backslash not... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, string as record separator, transposing rows into columns

I'm working on a different stage of a project that someone helped me address elsewhere in these threads. The .docs I'm cycling through look roughly like this: 1 of 26 DOCUMENTS Copyright 2010 The Age Company Limited All Rights Reserved The Age (Melbourne, Australia) November 27, 2010... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: spindoctor
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut & AWK

HI all, i have the source file like below, 05 BL-FEE-CYC-CDE PIC S9(03) COMP-3. 05 BL-FEE-ERR-MSG PIC X(00030). 05 BL-FEE-TYPE PIC X(00001). 418181*# 05 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskivs
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

apply record separator to multiple files within a directory using awk

Hi, I have a bunch of records within a directory where each one has this form: (example file1) 1 2 50 90 80 90 43512 98 0909 79869 -9 7878 33222 8787 9090 89898 7878 8989 7878 6767 89 89 78676 9898 000 7878 5656 5454 5454 and i want for all of these files to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - single quotes as record separator

How do I use single quotes as record separator in awk? I just couldn't figure that out. I know how to use single quotes as field separator, and double quotes as both field and record separator ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use string as Record separator in awk

Hello to all, Please some help on this. I have the file in format as below. How can I set the record separator as the string below in red "No. Time Source Destination Protocol Length Info" I've tried code below but it doesn't seem to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut & awk

I am using the following code to modify all odd lines in a file: awk 'NR % 2 { print } !(NR % 2)' FWD-1.fas | cut -c5-600 I however, do not want cut to affect the odd lines Any help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk regular expression for RS record separator

Hi, I'm using gawk to read a text file and count the sentences. I want to use a record separator of a period, exclamation mark and a question mark. The problem is that the file contains words like "Mr. Smith" so the periods in the appellation are tripping my record separator. This is my... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1Brajesh
12 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)