Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK with allow me to add spaces Post 302173720 by shamrock on Friday 7th of March 2008 03:51:30 PM
Old 03-07-2008
How will the awk handle Apr 1 as it will display Apr 0 instead of Mar 31?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add spaces between Characters

I need to add spaces in between characters in a string variable. Is there a shortcut? I know you can remove the spaces with sed, but does sed have a way to add them? Example: I have: DATA01 I want it to be: D A T A 0 1 What I have done so far is to create a function... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: heyindy06
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk adding spaces.

I have a file that contains... elm,mail elm,lisp,composer,cd,ls,cd,ls,cd,ls,zcat,|,tar,-xvf,ls,cd,ls,cd,ls,vi,ls,cd,ls,vi,elm,-f,ls,rm,ls,cd,ls,vi,vi,ls,vi,ls,cd,ls,elm,cd,ls,cd,ls,vi,vi,vi,ls,vi,ls,i,vi,ls,cp,cd,fg,ls,rm,cd,ls,-l,exit elm,mail,biff,elm,biff,elm,elm elm,ls ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

can v add 'n' of spaces by a single command?

Hi All, I just need to check for 'tabs' in my input file and need to replace all tabs into 'n' no. of spaces. Say for example if I give NO_OF_SPACE=5, then it should replace all tabs with 5 spaces abc.in ##### asdasdasd \t\t\tasjkalskdl;asdsdjfksldfjklsdfxcmxm,cv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: askumarece
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VIM add white spaces

Hello, How do I adda two whitespaces at the begining of each lines between line 12 and line 90; something like :12,90 ??? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCR
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

add semicolumn and remove spaces

Hi I have a file like: one two three four five six seven eight nine ten and I'd like to get one:two:three:four:five I'm trying to do it with sed, but the problem is also that the spaces between the words are not constant. Any idea please? thanks ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and spaces in filenames

Hey there, this is my first post and I'll try to explain my situation as best I can.Here is a sample of the input file: ADO Sample.h,v ADO Sample 2010-05-21 lyonsb /repository/patents/TSCommon/OpenSource/Dundass/ug6mfc/DataSources/Ado/ADO Sample ADO SampleDoc.h,v ADO SampleDoc 2010-05-21... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rodan90
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for removing spaces

HI, I have a file with lot of blank lines, how can I remove those using awk?? Thanks, Shruthi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add spaces when x-coordinate changes with Awk

I have a tab-delimited file with three columns. They are arranged in blocks like this 1 1 8 1 2 3 1 3 7 1 4 4 1 5 7 2 1 9 2 2 4 ... I would like to add spaces so that the file looks like this: 1 1 8 1 2 3 1 3 7 1 4 4 1 5 7 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machinus
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to add trailing spaces to the variable

I want to keep string/varible length to 10 even its actual length is less than 10(may be no value). so, i want to add trailing spaces to my string. :wall: "typeset -L10 myvarible" is not working, its saying invalid typset -L option. Can you please advise. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djaks111
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add spaces to variable

Hi, I'm passing a variable to a scrpit which can be 1 to 3 characters long. How can I force it to be three character long and add spaces to it? The passed variable is stored in $1 and I would like to be stored in NewName I tried without success NewName=$(printf "%*s 3 $1) So if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
2 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)