Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Best compression for log files? Post 302173588 by adderek on Friday 7th of March 2008 05:58:39 AM
Old 03-07-2008
You might try re-writing the logs and convert date to a binary value on your own. Then gzip it.
However gzip is already doing quite nice thing with compression...
Every time when there is some possibility to optimize something - before doing anything think twice if it is worth of it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file compression

Is it possible to unzip / compress a file that was zipped using WinZip? thanks, kristy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compression utilities

I've noticed bzip2 gives a little bit better compression than gzip. So...I'm curious...what's gives the best compression out of all the compression utilities? Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Un-compression types...

Hi Folks, As I am familiar wih both types compresion forms: gun-zip and .rpm. My questions is how do I uncompress gunz.zip type? As the .rpm I can double click and it will extract...Can someone shed some light on this and thank you... M (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mombo_Z
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid CR after compression

Hi all, I am having few files which needs to be concted into a single file and then it is compressed and FTPed from the UNIX server to the Windows server. For the above purpose i am using gzip command to compress the files after concetenation. And i am FTP ing the compressed file in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sun Cluster log rotation & compression

I currently have in root's crontab: 20 4 * * 0,3 /usr/cluster/lib/sc/newcleventlog /var/cluster/logs/eventlog 20 4 * * 0,3 /usr/cluster/lib/sc/newcleventlog /var/cluster/logs/DS 20 4 * * 0,3 /usr/cluster/lib/sc/newcleventlog /var/cluster/logs/commandlog there is no man page on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkruck
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compression - Exclude huge files

I have a DB folder which sizes to 60GB approx. It has logs which size from 500MB - 1GB. I have an Installation which would update the DB. I need to backup this DB folder, just incase my Installation FAILS. But I do not need the logs in my backup. How do I exclude them during compression (tar)? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevendraG
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modification of MySQLDump-files before compression needed

Hi @all! In my MySQL-backup-script I backup and compress every single table with this command: /usr/bin/mysqldump --opt database_x table_y | /usr/bin/pbzip2 -c > "/media/BackUpDrive/Backup/table_x.gz"Unfortunately these files need modification - they have to start with the following line(s):... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogo555
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compression with openssl

Hi , 1-I need to know please if it's possible to compress using openssl? Here is the version used: openssl version -a OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004 (+ security fixes for: CVE-2005-2969 CVE-2006-2937 CVE-2006-2940 CVE2006-3738 CVE-2006-4339 CVE-2006-4343 CVE-2007-5135 CVE-2008-5077... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eman_in_forum
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting log files to null writing junk into log files

Redirecting log files to null writing junk into log files. i have log files which created from below command exec <processname> >$logfile but when it reaches some size i am redirecting to null while process is running like >$logfile manually but after that it writes some junk into... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
7 Replies