Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help on Spliting files - urgent Post 302173399 by radoulov on Thursday 6th of March 2008 04:16:05 PM
Old 03-06-2008
Code:
awk 'BEGIN { split("a b c d e f", f) }
x[length]++ == 5 || !y[length]++ { close(fn); fn = "aa"f[++c]".in" }
{ print > fn }' file

Use nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk on Solaris.
Add more letters if needed Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

spliting up sentences

hello, i'm looking to split up text into a list of words but can't figure it out, any help would be great. thanks steven (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevox
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

spliting variable value

Hi, I am reading two values from oracle to unix variable and spliting them using the read command as follows, get_details=`sqlplus -s $sld_user/$sld_password@$sld_string<<EOF whenever sqlerror exit 1 whenever oserror exit 1 set feedback off set heading off set pagesize... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsh_kats
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

spliting 4gb files to 4*1 gb each

I have log file whose size is 4 GB , i would like to split it to 1 gb each ,Can any one tell me the syntax of csplit comand for that. I am using Sun0S 5.8 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spliting the file dynamically

i am creating the file , when this file reaches the size 2 GB, i need one message or fire (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingganesh04
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

spliting a file

how would i split the file "file1" into smaller files containg lines of 15 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamieMurry
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

spliting up a large file

Dear All, I have a very large file which which i would like split into indvidual frames evrytime the line ends with "ENDMDL" and then name frame1.pdb frame2.pdb etc can any one give me a few sugeestions? ideally i would like to have ENDMDL at the end of each frame or not pressent at all. an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mish_99
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Spliting of two files

hi I have a log file which contains some reports. The log file looks like this:- STARTOFREPORT /tmp file1.txt some text to be folowd ENDOFREPORT some non utilized characters STARTOFREPORT /log file2.txt more text (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zipping files - Please help me its urgent

Dear all, I have thousands of log files in my log directory which I need to zip them and archive. I tried using zip command. But it is not allowing me to archive it more that 4GB of file size. So how to archive them. If it is not possible how to zip all files in to multiple archive files which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tvbhkishore
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spliting log file

Hello, I want to split or cut a large size log file by year wise(eg 2009, 2010) .But the source file must not have the splited or cut lines after this process ,all of them must move to the destination folder.Does grep command have the fuctionality like cut and paste? I used grep -Ev command but... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jobycxa
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML spliting

hi, Am able to split an XML file by using follwing awk command, awk 'NR==1{x=$0;next}/<\/Order>/{print y RS $0 RS "</Order>">f}/Order BillToKey/{f="file"++n".xml";y=x}{y=y RS $0}' filename.xml but i need to insert a following tag in the begining of every file how to do so. The tag is as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitnix
7 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)