Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: count character
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting count character Post 302173355 by myguess21 on Thursday 6th of March 2008 12:29:16 PM
Old 03-06-2008
it works fine if i use sting="somethinghere"
but when i do echo $FOUNDIT does not work.

here is my code.

cat readfile.txt | while read UID
do
echo $UID "-->uid"
TRIUID=`echo $UID | nawk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="="}{$2=substr($2,length($2)-7)}1'`
echo $TRIUID "-->triud"
echo $TRIUID >> active_ad_ids_2.txt
done

output i got:

viewdtest110 -->uid
viewdtest110= -->triud
viewdtest111 -->uid
viewdtest111= -->triud
viewdtest112 -->uid
viewdtest112= -->triud
viewdtest113 -->uid
viewdtest113= -->triud
viewdtest114 -->uid
viewdtest114= -->triud
veiwdtest115 -->uid
veiwdtest115= -->triud
viewdtest116 -->uid
viewdtest116= -->triud
viewdtest117 -->uid
viewdtest117= -->triud
dtest118 -->uid
dtest118= -->triud
dtest119 -->uid
dtest119= -->triud
dtest11 -->uid
dtest11= -->triud
test120 -->uid
test120= -->triud
dtest12 -->uid
dtest12= -->triud
dtest13 -->uid
dtest13= -->triud
dtest14 -->uid
dtest14= -->triud
dtest15 -->uid
dtest15= -->triud
dtest16 -->uid
dtest16= -->triud
dtest17 -->uid
dtest17= -->triud
dtest18 -->uid
dtest18= -->triud
dtest19 -->uid
dtest19= -->triud
sscheduler
uistst1
uistst2
uistst3
dtest100
dtest101
dtest102
dtest104
dtest106
dtest110
dtest111
dtest19 dtest19=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin52
It should be something like:

Code:
TFOUNDIT=`echo $FOUNDIT | nawk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="="}{$2=substr($2,length($2)-7)}1'`

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl count of character.

Recently I was asked to write a regular expression in Perl to print the occurrences(count) of each character in a string. It should be in one line. Can you help me out with a solution? Thanks in advance. Coolbhai (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolbhai
6 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

character match and count

Use and complete the template provided. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: How can I count number of occurance of a single character in a file.. eg. How many '$' characters are there in account file..! 2. Relevant commands,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character count per record

I have a flat file. How can i retrive the character count per record in whole file. Can anybody assist me on this Cheers (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: subrat
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurences of a character in a field defined by the character in another field

Hello, I have a text file with n lines in the following format (9 column fields): Example: contig00012 149606 G C 49 68 60 18 c$cccccacccccccccc^c I need to count the number of lower-case and upper-case occurences in column 9, respectively, of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character count of each line

Hi, I have a file with more than 1000 lines. Most of the lines have 16 characters. I want to find out lines that have less than 14 characters (usually 12 or 13). wc -l gives me the line count and wc -c gives me the total characters in a file. I could not get the total characters for each line.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - count character count of fields

Hello All, I got a requirement when I was working with a file. Say the file has unloads of data from a table in the form 1|121|asda|434|thesi|2012|05|24| 1|343|unit|09|best|2012|11|5| I was put into a scenario where I need the field count in all the lines in that file. It was simply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting the character count of the last line

I need the character count of the last line of each file in a directory, and not the total. Now I have been doing this but unfortunately, -exec doesn't support pipes: find sent/ -type f -exec tail -1|wc -c {} \; If I try this: find sent/ -type f -exec tail -1 {} \; | wc -c It will give... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character Count in script

#!/bin/ksh read name read mobile echo $name | wc -m Nunberchar=`echo $name |wc -m` echo $Nunberchar I write something above, however the char count is wrong, it always count the $ , how to avoid it ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakurai2601
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain character in a filename and count the characters up to the certain character

Hello, I do have folders containing having funny strings in their names and one space. First, I do remove the funny strings and replace the space by an underscore. find . -name '* *' | while read file; do target=`echo "$file" | sed 's/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
STRING(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 STRING(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat, strcmp, strncmp, strcasecmp, strncasecmp, strcpy, strncpy, strlen, index, rindex - string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> char *strcat(s, append) char *s, *append; char *strncat(s, append, count) char *s, *append; int count; strcmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; strcasecmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncasecmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; char *strcpy(to, from) char *to, *from; char *strncpy(to, from, count) char *to, *from; int count; strlen(s) char *s; char *index(s, c) char *s, c; char *rindex(s, c) char *s, c; DESCRIPTION
These functions operate on null-terminated strings. They do not check for overflow of any receiving string. Strcat appends a copy of string append to the end of string s. Strncat copies at most count characters. Both return a pointer to the null- terminated result. Strcmp compares its arguments and returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0, according as s1 is lexicographically greater than, equal to, or less than s2. Strncmp makes the same comparison but looks at at most count characters. Strcasecmp and strncasecmp are identical in function, but are case insensitive. The returned lexicographic difference reflects a conversion to lower-case. Strcpy copies string from to to, stopping after the null character has been moved. Strncpy copies exactly count characters, appending nulls if from is less than count characters in length; the target may not be null-terminated if the length of from is count or more. Both return to. Strlen returns the number of non-null characters in s. Index (rindex) returns a pointer to the first (last) occurrence of character c in string s or zero if c does not occur in the string. Set- ting c to NULL works. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1987 STRING(3)