Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD How to use Cygwin to access X windows Post 302173201 by Praveen_218 on Thursday 6th of March 2008 02:29:14 AM
Old 03-06-2008
How to use Cygwin to access X windows

Hi,
I use WinMe, want to access, remotely, X-windows of my FreeBSD6.2 machine using the Cigwin from my windows machine as a normal user.

However, I can login (through ssh and Telnet) to my FeeBSD machine as root and/or 'su' from some users grouped to the 'wheel' group.

I'm still new to server administration stuffs.
May I expect an step by step method for this or a pointer (url) to the same?

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to install Cygwin on Windows XP SP2

Please can anyone help me with how to install cygwin on a windows Xp SP2 platform, I cant seem to get it to work? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimoney
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scp from aix to windows (cygwin) fails

Hi... my problem is that I want to copy one html-file to my windows-box webserver using scp. so far no problem but the destination is in /cygdrive/c/program files/dest and as we all know unix doesnt like spaces in paths. scp html.file user@windowsbox:/cygdrive/c/program... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cypher82
5 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Cygwin OpenSSH Windows

Hi all, I am just enjoying my first experience with UNIX type stuff but I am completely stumped with syntax etc. I have installed OpenSSH on my windows machine which is a working nicley and I can gain access using putty. I am however trying to set up public key authentication and turn off passwords... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bilbonvidia
2 Replies

4. Programming

print C codes from Solaris 10, x86 to cygwin on Windows?

Sorry, I meant to type "porting C codes from Solaris 10, x86 to cygwin in Windows" I just installed cygwin 1.7 to my Windows PC. I have a C program that compiles fine using gcc on Solaris 10, x86. This C program contains system calls like: system ("ls -l > file.txt"); and system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: serendipity1276
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cygwin script problem windows

I'm using cygwin to make some scripts,but I have the following problem. If I create a simple script like this one: if echo "Error" exit 1 fi echo "`expr $1 + $2`" I obtain line 6: syntax error:unexpected end of file. If I create the same script with cat>filename.txt and execute it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Max89
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cygwin/X11 issues on Windows 7

Hi All, I recently upgraded to windows 7 and am therefore reinstalling cygwin/x11 after a long time. On XP I would start xterm from the startxwin.bat file. I am experiencing trouble starting with the startxwin executable which is the new recommended startup method as well as afew other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScKaSx
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run Cygwin bash from windows scheduled task?

Hmmm.... I love these forums because I always get great prompt responses and I want to ask a question about running bash on windows. Is that allowed? Now I know I can install cygwin cron and run bash that way. Can I run bash from windows schedule task? How? thanks siegfried (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I rebuild applications that developed in UNIX? I need to use it in windows os with cygwin

I need to rebuild an application that developed in unix environment and run in windows OS with cygwin. so How can I rebuild from the source code? is there any one who said something on this regard? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bejirond
2 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How can I start a cygwin application from windows 7 command prompt?

I have compiled an application called tmesh.exe, that was compiled for the cygwin, win7 platform. I wonder, if I do that outside X window, Is there a chance that I can run it on the command prompt of windows 7? (tmesh:4048): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: THANKS Jack (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucky7456969
3 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Cygwin script to transfer file from windows to UNIX

Hi, Objective is to transfer files from windows server to Unix server using cygwin. I have installed cygwin, and I manually execute commands and transfer files from windows to unix using sftp. These are steps I execute 1) Run cmd 2) Run cygwin 3) At prompt type sftp user1@uniserver 4) lcd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
2 Replies
NETRC(5)                                                      BSD File Formats Manual                                                     NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc -- user configuration for ftp SYNOPSIS
~/.netrc DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)