Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux UNIX command for Getting IP addresss of different hosts in WLAN Post 302173091 by shamrock on Wednesday 5th of March 2008 04:06:13 PM
Old 03-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasurake
Is thre any command by which i can get the IP addresses of different machines present in a Wireless Local Network Area.
I am not sue about Wireless LANs but if they are part of the same LAN then their IPs should be cached in the arp table on your machine.

Code:
arp -a

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

WLAN PCI Cards

Hi! I just wanted to know what network cards are supported in FreeBSD. I have looked at the list of supported cards but I can't find any of them in the stores. Is the list not updated, I would really preciate info about where (in EU, Sweden) I can buy them. /Peter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barfly.se
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

netstat command between clustered hosts

I have 2 clustered hosts, is it possible for me to issue a netstat command against 1 host from the other ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphyboy
4 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

SSH login via wlan

Hi Is it totally safe to login via SSH through a wlan that is not encrypted? Is there anything to think about when doing it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hjalle
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

How to access others machine in my WLAN

Here is the thing. I've got a TP link router (TL-WR541G) and 3 PCs accessing to Internet through it. 2 Desktop PCs (1 with Debian and 1 WinXP) 1 laptop (with Ubuntu). In my router (192.168.1.1) I can see the MAC and IP of all machines assigned (DHCP) by the router. But when I ping to them... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: funyotros
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking for unix hosts that do not have reverse lookup

Hi there i am not sure how to explain my problem. i need to run a script to give me the results of all my unix hosts that do not have reverse lookup activated (for lack of a better word), i need to give this to out Server guys to add it part of the AD rules. So what i need is a script to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian112
0 Replies

6. IP Networking

Radvd wlan problems

Hi all, I am trying to get radvd to broadcast router advertisements on a wireless interface (wlan0). The wireless interface is running an ad-hoc wireless network. However, for some reason, radvd will say that wlan0 not running and refuse to start. The only way I can get radvd to broadcast... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abxccd
0 Replies

7. AIX

aix tcp wrappers hosts.allow hosts.deny?

hi all just installed the netsec.options.tcpwrapper from expansion pack, which used to be a rpm, for my aix 6.1 test box. it is so unpredictable. i set up the hosts.deny as suggested for all and allow the sshd for specific ip addresses/hostnames. the tcpdchk says the hosts allowed and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wf201626
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

netstat command to be executed for list of hosts

Hi All, Need to run the netstat -i command on the list of hosts and check if "Ierrs" and "Oerrs" has value greaterthan 0. for Ex: below output, driver bge1 and bge3 has Oerrs and Ierrs value > 0, So, script should report saying "Netstat status for $host, driver bge1 has Oerrs = 20, Failed"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a command on multiple hosts

I created a script to check for tsm backup status on linux hosts. Script uses a source file to connect to each host and run a dsmc command on each host and write the output back to a output file located on the parent server where the script is running. The script works fine for the first 2 hosts... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
4 Replies

10. Solaris

How to copy a tar file on a series of remote hosts and untar it on those hosts?

Am trying to copy a tar file onto a series of remote hosts and untar it at the destination. Need to do this without having to do multiple ssh. Actions to perform within a single ssh session via shell script - copy a file - untar at destination (remote host) OS : Linux RHEL6 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
3 Replies
hosts(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  hosts(4)

NAME
hosts - host name data base DESCRIPTION
The file associates Internet (IP) addresses with official host names and aliases. This allows a user to refer to a host by a symbolic name instead of an Internet address. This file contain all addresses for local interfaces that needs at boot time (see ifconfig(1M)). When using the name server (see named(1M)), or Network Information Service (see ypserv(1M)), this file often serves as a backup when the server is not running. In such circumstances, it is a common practice for to contain a few addresses of machines on the local network. should contain a single line for each host with the following information: internet_address official_host_name aliases The internet_address can be an IPv4 or IPv6 address specified in the conventional Internet dot notation. See inet(3N) or inet6(3N) for more information on Internet address manipulation routines. aliases are other names by which a host is known. They can substitute for the official_host_name in most commands. For example: In this example, users can use remote login on by using the command: instead of If your system is in a domain naming environment, an official host name consists of the full domain extended host name. For example: (space or tab character). Items are separated by any number or combination of space or tab characters (blanks). A character indicates the beginning of a comment. Characters from the to the end of the line are not interpreted by routines that search the file. Trailing blanks are allowed at the end of a line. For the Internet, this file is normally created from the official host database maintained at the Network Information Control Center (NIC), although local changes may be required to bring it up to date with respect to unofficial aliases and/or unknown hosts. Host names can contain any printable character other than a white space, newline, or comment character. EXAMPLES
See AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
gethostent(3N), inet(3N), nsswitch.conf(4). hosts(4)