Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: LANG=C not English?
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu LANG=C not English? Post 302172947 by grumpf on Wednesday 5th of March 2008 06:35:18 AM
Old 03-05-2008
man locale

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bc arbitrary precision cal lang

Hello all, I don't know ksh that well but when I try to run a simple script using the bc command I get "unexpected '.' ", has any one encouter this or help me. I'm running under redaht 7.2. Here is a simple example: #!/bin/ksh # kilo=`echo "2495 * .25"|bc` if then echo "LESS THEN"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lang

Hi, I have LANG set to C.iso88591 what does this value mean and what other options do I have? The problem is that I am using mailx to send out reports. When the report arrives the email has a lot of details about a charecter set not being supported. I don't want to have a null value... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to set the LANG variable

When I login to my AIX server, the LANG variable is automatically being set to En_US. This is causing locale warning messages when I run emacs or perl. The reason seems to be that En_US is not a valid locale (seen by running locale -a). I can change the variable from the command line (export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wvdeijk
3 Replies

4. Solaris

java.lang.OutofMemoryError in Sun Studio 12

Hello everyone, I have installed Sun Studio 12 in my Sun Solaris 10 (x86) OS. At first, there was nothing wrong with it but recently, I couldn't open the Sun Studio IDE. When I try to open it, I keep on getting the following error messages:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wintersakura
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting the $LANG info needed

Hello (Very New to UNIX -Solaris 10) I'm trying to set the LANG variable to C but not sure if it's getting set, need some help on this. Currently I have it set to en_GB.UTF-8 I need to set it to C for an install. but when I run set LANG=C and then run echo $LANG its still set to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deedaz
2 Replies

6. Programming

How to do 'export LANG=en" Using C

Hi Could you please help me How to program Linux shell commands using C. I want set Language environment before start a particular application. Example:- export LANG=hi_IN.UTF-8 gedit This will start Localized Hindi( Indian Language) version of the 'gedit', if the Hindi language... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ram Das
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

install arabic lang

hi how to install arabic language and set it as default in hpux. also there is any website provide vm for hpunix for testing. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drpix
2 Replies

8. AIX

Undestanding LANG setting in /etc/environment

Hi All, We had issue with a application which reports process counts in log, application used to log process counts as Integer data type (1500). One fine morning we started seeing process counts in application log as Decimal (1,500). Our UNIX admin did investigate and figured-out that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aaron Boyce
5 Replies

9. Solaris

/etc/default/init LANG Setting Not Working

Hey guys, I'm setting up a new server(Fujitsu M10-4 / Solaris 10 1/13) to move our app/DB and I'm having trouble figuring out why my LANG setting is not taking effect. I'm trying to set LANG=C in the /etc/default/init file which should make it the default system wide from what I gather. However... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaledragule
7 Replies
LOCALE.CONF(5)							    locale.conf 						    LOCALE.CONF(5)

NAME
locale.conf - Configuration file for locale settings SYNOPSIS
/etc/locale.conf DESCRIPTION
The /etc/locale.conf file configures system-wide locale settings. It is read at early boot by systemd(1). The basic file format of locale.conf is a newline-separated list of environment-like shell-compatible variable assignments. It is possible to source the configuration from shell scripts, however, beyond mere variable assignments, no shell features are supported, allowing applications to read the file without implementing a shell compatible execution engine. Note that the kernel command line options locale.LANG=, locale.LANGUAGE=, locale.LC_CTYPE=, locale.LC_NUMERIC=, locale.LC_TIME=, locale.LC_COLLATE=, locale.LC_MONETARY=, locale.LC_MESSAGES=, locale.LC_PAPER=, locale.LC_NAME=, locale.LC_ADDRESS=, locale.LC_TELEPHONE=, locale.LC_MEASUREMENT=, locale.LC_IDENTIFICATION= may be used to override the locale settings at boot. The locale settings configured in /etc/locale.conf are system-wide and are inherited by every service or user, unless overridden or unset by individual programs or individual users. Depending on the operating system, other configuration files might be checked for locale configuration as well, however only as fallback. /etc/vconsole.conf is usually created and updated using systemd-localed.service(8). localectl(1) may be used to alter the settings in this file during runtime from the command line. Use systemd-firstboot(1) to initialize them on mounted (but not booted) system images. OPTIONS
The following locale settings may be set using /etc/locale.conf: LANG=, LANGUAGE=, LC_CTYPE=, LC_NUMERIC=, LC_TIME=, LC_COLLATE=, LC_MONETARY=, LC_MESSAGES=, LC_PAPER=, LC_NAME=, LC_ADDRESS=, LC_TELEPHONE=, LC_MEASUREMENT=, LC_IDENTIFICATION=. Note that LC_ALL may not be configured in this file. For details about the meaning and semantics of these settings, refer to locale(7). EXAMPLE
Example 1. German locale with English messages /etc/locale.conf: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8 SEE ALSO
systemd(1), locale(7), localectl(1), systemd-localed.service(8), systemd-firstboot(1) systemd 237 LOCALE.CONF(5)