Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Confusion about IFS Variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Confusion about IFS Variable Post 302172856 by Awadhesh on Wednesday 5th of March 2008 01:10:07 AM
Old 03-05-2008
Tools Thanks!!

thanks, u always come with a torch.

pd-ksh is there, but i really dont know how to use it in script.

[root@eul3p3 tmp]# rpm -qa|grep -i pdksh
pdksh-5.2.14-30.3
[root@eul3p3 tmp]#

Awadhesh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

IFS changing the variable value

Hi, I have a while read loop that reads files in a directory and process. The files have spaces in between, so I have the IFS=\n to to read the whole line as one file name. The read works fine but I have a problem with another variable that I set in the beginning of the script. The variable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

the IFS variable

Hi all, Ok os heres my situation. I have created a database style program that stores a persons info (name,address,phone number etc.) in a file ("database"). after i read in all the values above, i assign them to a line variable: line="$name^$address^$phonenum" >> phonebuk as you can see... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djt0506
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IFS variable

How can I set the value for IFS variable (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on IFS command!

Hi! I am working in korn shell. I want to reset the dimiliter for the set command to "|" but instead of a command prompt return I am getting something as below After issuing the command I am getting this....as if the shell is expecting something else. Can anybody suggest what's the problem. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: udiptya
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

resetting IFS variable

Hi, I have modified the IFS variable in the K shell program and with in the program i want to reset to the default one. How do i reset the same. e.g in the begining of the program IFS is default in the middle i changed it to IFS="|" and again i want the default value for the IFS. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

regarding IFS=

hi i am a learner can some explain "export IFS=$(echo "\n\t\a")" i am not able to understand the functionality please help thanks Satya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

little confusion about variable initialization.

Whenever i execute the below scriptlet with out proper file name it deletes /tmp directory . I guess this is because value of variable a didnt get initialized and there for rm -rf /tmp/ get executed and entire /tmp directory get deleted. How would i avoid any empty variables to be used in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop and IFS?

Hi, while ; do echo "Please enter " read enter yyyy=${enter:0:4} mm=${enter:5:2} dd=${enter:8:2} result=`validateDate $yyyy $mm $dd` When does the loop keeping repeating till?? till 1 is equal to 1? what does this mean "${enter:0:4}" .The 0 and 4 part?? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sid22
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to understand IFS

Hi , i am in my initial learning phase of unix. i was going thru the function part. below is the example which was there but i am not able to understand logic and the use of IFS(internal field separator) lspath() { OLDIFS="$IFS" IFS=: for DIR in $PATH ; do echo $DIR ; done IFS="$OLDIFS"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Odd Behaviour for Set and IFS variable

Ok, so I'm playing around with delimters and reading files. and I came across this behaviour that I thought was a bit odd, regarding how the set command takes values... If I run this: IFS=$'-' #Assigns the - as the default delimiter for bash set I-love-my-gf-a-lot #uses set to put a bunch of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
1 Replies
rpm2cpio(1)							   User Commands						       rpm2cpio(1)

NAME
rpm2cpio - convert Red Hat Package (RPM) to cpio archive SYNOPSIS
rpm2cpio [file.rpm] DESCRIPTION
The rpm2cpio utility converts the .rpm file specified as its sole argument to a cpio archive on standard output. (See NOTES.) If no argu- ment is given, an rpm stream is read from standard input. In both cases, rpm2cpio will fail and print a usage message if the standard out- put is a terminal. Therefore, the output is usually redirected to a file or piped through the cpio(1) utility. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Converting an rpm file example% rpm2cpio Device3Dfx-1.1-2.src.rpm | cpio -itv CPIO archive found! -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2635 Sep 13 16:39 1998, 3dfx.gif -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11339 Sep 27 16:03 1998, Dev3Dfx.tar.gz -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1387 Sep 27 16:04 1998, Device3Dfx-1.1-2.spec 31 blocks Example 2: Converting from standard input example% rpm2cpio < Device3Dfx-1.1-2.src.rpm | cpio -itv CPIO archive found! -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2635 Sep 13 16:39 1998, 3dfx.gif -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11339 Sep 27 16:03 1998, Dev3Dfx.tar.gz -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1387 Sep 27 16:04 1998, Device3Dfx-1.1-2.spec 31 blocks ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrpm | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cpio(1), attributes(5) NOTES
rpm2cpio handles versions 3 and 4 RPMs. SunOS 5.10 20 Aug 2001 rpm2cpio(1)