Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with the 2 for loops
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with the 2 for loops Post 302172712 by vadharah on Tuesday 4th of March 2008 02:51:20 PM
Old 03-04-2008
Data Help with the 2 for loops

#!/bin/bash

IFS=$'\n'

A= a c b t g j i e d
B= t y u i o p
counter=0
found=""

for i in $(cat $A)
do
for j in $(cat $B)
do
if [ $A=$B ]
then
found="yes"
fi
done
if [ $found="yes" ]
then
echo $i found
else
echo Position $counter....not found
found="no"
counter=$((counter+=))
fi
done

its saying all files in A have been found and even if i put dummy items the condition is always correct...Pliz help me where im going wrong...am a stranger to bash!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

loops?

hello....very new user to unix...and i have a question..i am not sure if there is such a thing For example...the user is asked if he likes Bananas....if he says yes.... echo You like Bananas $name at the end of the script it echos all that the user has entered so they can read it.... but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonas27
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loops within loops

I am running on HPUX using ksh. I have a script that uses a loop within a loop, for some reason the script seems to hang on a particuliar record. The record is fine and hits the condition in Blue. If I kill the 1st loop process the script continues on with no problem. Begin code> <Some... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bthomas
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

While Loops

I'm trying to create a loop that will prompt the user for 15 values, not forcing them to enter all 15. If the user enters through one or more of the prompts the null value needs to be converted to 0, otherwise set the parameter = to the value entered: ex. Please enter file no #1: 17920 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdc
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

two loops

Hi, how can I use "for" to have two loops : this is my script : for i in (A B C) do for j in (a b c) do echo $i$j done done #End I want to print out Aa Ab Ac .... But I have error message : syntax error at line 1 : `(' unexpected Many thanks before. How should I use "for" ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loops

Hi I've a file like so: Now, I want to read my file and take ex. the Media ID and the Type for each groups of Media (Media1,Media2,...,Media(n): cat /tmp/file|\ while read FILE do while $(FILE|cut -d: -f1)=Media$i do #here will be some test, ex: #if Media ID < 23 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nymus7
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with While Loops

I am traversing down a list, and I am not quite sure how to tell the loop to break when it's done going through the file. #!/bin/sh while : do read list <&3 echo $list done is the code. The file "list" is simply 5 4 3 2 1 any advice on how to break the loop after the file is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loops

Hi All, I want to execute a script the number of times a user enters. Please can you advise on hor can I do the same. Many Thanks, Shazin (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

loops with tr

Hello, I'm not sure if this is more appropriate for the 'unix for dummies' or the 'unix for experts' forum because I'm new to this forum and this is the second topic I've discussed, but if you could let me know which one was more appropriate for something like this, please do! So in tr (an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juliette salexa
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with loops?

I'm trying to understand better the while and until loops, can someone help me with this example? #!/bin/bash # Listing the planets. for planet in Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto do echo $planet # Each planet on a separate line. done echo; echo for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jose2802
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with for loops

Why wont my for statements work? Im trying to get this script to swich to a user an if you put in a start/stop/or restart paramater to do just that for each user. I commented out the actual start/stop actions to test it just by using echos and not do anything hasty in the environment but it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LilyClaro
0 Replies
CounterFile(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  CounterFile(3pm)

NAME
File::CounterFile - Persistent counter class SYNOPSIS
use File::CounterFile; $c = File::CounterFile->new("COUNTER", "aa00"); $id = $c->inc; open(F, ">F$id"); DESCRIPTION
This module implements a persistent counter class. Each counter is represented by a separate file in the file system. File locking is applied, so multiple processes can attempt to access a counter simultaneously without risk of counter destruction. You give the file name as the first parameter to the object constructor ("new"). The file is created if it does not exist. If the file name does not start with "/" or ".", then it is interpreted as a file relative to $File::CounterFile::DEFAULT_DIR. The default value for this variable is initialized from the environment variable "TMPDIR", or /usr/tmp if no environment variable is defined. You may want to assign a different value to this variable before creating counters. If you pass a second parameter to the constructor, it sets the initial value for a new counter. This parameter only takes effect when the file is created (i.e. it does not exist before the call). When you call the "inc()" method, you increment the counter value by one. When you call "dec()", the counter value is decremented. In both cases the new value is returned. The "dec()" method only works for numerical counters (digits only). You can peek at the value of the counter (without incrementing it) by using the "value()" method. The counter can be locked and unlocked with the "lock()" and "unlock()" methods. Incrementing and value retrieval are faster when the counter is locked, because we do not have to update the counter file all the time. You can query whether the counter is locked with the "locked()" method. There is also an operator overloading interface to the File::CounterFile object. This means that you can use the "++" operator for incrementing and the "--" operator for decrementing the counter, and you can interpolate counters directly into strings. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1995-1998,2002,2003 Gisle Aas. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. AUTHOR
Gisle Aas <gisle@aas.no> perl v5.10.0 2004-01-23 CounterFile(3pm)