Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: count times for one string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting count times for one string Post 302172676 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 4th of March 2008 12:46:38 PM
Old 03-04-2008
Code:
sort myFile | uniq -c

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a single line to count how many times one character occurs in a word...

I've been looking on the internet, and haven't found anything simple enough to use in my code. All I want to do is count how many times "-" occurs in a string of characters (as a package name). It seems it should be very simple, and shouldn't require more than one line to accomplish. And this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shingoshi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting - write a script that will count the number of times a particular word

hello everyone, I'm trying to learn some scripts but i cant get my head around two of them. 1. how can i write a script that will count the number of times a particular word is used in file? 2. how can i make a script that will take me to a web page from unix? if anyone could help it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match and count the number of times

ile1 Beckham Ronaldo file2 Beckham Beckham_human Ronaldo Ronaldo_spain Ronaldo Ronaldo_brazil Beckham Beckham_manch Zidane Zidane_Fran Rooney Rooney_Eng Output shud be (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

The loop was executed $count times

#!/bin/sh count=0 for i in 2 4 6 do echo "i is $i" count='expr $count + 1' done echo "The loop was executed $count times" with these scripts my output is : i is 2 i is 4 i is 6 The loop was executed expr $count + 1 times What should I do to get the value instead of 'expr... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ymwong
17 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to count number of times each word exist in a file

I'm trying to count the number of times each word in the file exist for example if the file has: today I have a lot to write, but I will not go for it. The main thing is that today I am looking for a way to get each word in this file with a word count after it specifying that this word has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shnkool
4 Replies

6. Programming

Printing same strIng many times

In python how we need to print a same string many times without using loop. I cane across something like * operator for this . How we Can use this in a print statement ? I am using python 3.x Please help me (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Count amount of times of appearing of character before a word?

Hello Is there a way to calculate how many times a particular symbol appeared in a string before a particular word. Desktop/Myfiles/pet/dog/puppy So, I want to count number of occurence of"/" in this directory before the word dog lets say. Cheers, Bob (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count how many times in every file, strings appeared in a directory.

Hello, I have some files and i want to count how many times a string is appeared in each file. Lets say : #cat fileA stringA sdh stringB stringA #cat fileB stringB stringA sdb stringB stringB I need the output to be something like: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I count how many times a specific word appear in a file (ksh)?

Hi Please can you help how do I count the number of specific characters or words that appear in a file? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count same word which has come many times in single lines & pars

can i get a simple script for , Count same word which has come many times in single lines & pars Eg file would be == "Thanks heman thanks thanks Thanks heman thanks man" So resullt should be Thanks = 5 heman=2 man = 1 thanks in advance :) Please use code tags for code and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heman96
1 Replies
STRING(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 STRING(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat, strcmp, strncmp, strcasecmp, strncasecmp, strcpy, strncpy, strlen, index, rindex - string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> char *strcat(s, append) char *s, *append; char *strncat(s, append, count) char *s, *append; int count; strcmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; strcasecmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncasecmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; char *strcpy(to, from) char *to, *from; char *strncpy(to, from, count) char *to, *from; int count; strlen(s) char *s; char *index(s, c) char *s, c; char *rindex(s, c) char *s, c; DESCRIPTION
These functions operate on null-terminated strings. They do not check for overflow of any receiving string. Strcat appends a copy of string append to the end of string s. Strncat copies at most count characters. Both return a pointer to the null- terminated result. Strcmp compares its arguments and returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0, according as s1 is lexicographically greater than, equal to, or less than s2. Strncmp makes the same comparison but looks at at most count characters. Strcasecmp and strncasecmp are identical in function, but are case insensitive. The returned lexicographic difference reflects a conversion to lower-case. Strcpy copies string from to to, stopping after the null character has been moved. Strncpy copies exactly count characters, appending nulls if from is less than count characters in length; the target may not be null-terminated if the length of from is count or more. Both return to. Strlen returns the number of non-null characters in s. Index (rindex) returns a pointer to the first (last) occurrence of character c in string s or zero if c does not occur in the string. Set- ting c to NULL works. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1987 STRING(3)