Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C function to test existence of a login Post 302172668 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 4th of March 2008 12:12:09 PM
Old 03-04-2008
Did you check man wtmp or man wtmpx?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to test for file existence using file size?

ok im doing this in a normal shell. i need to check the file in the script. how should i write the if else statment? if the filesize contains 0kb then it will echo out file contains nothing else if the script contains more than 0kb then it will echo out file exist. any one care to help?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check existence of a login

Hi everybody, I need to check in C program wether a given login is known on the system. Is there any system function that could do this ? So far, all I could find is getpwnam(), which answers my problem by parsing the local password database. But won't work if a user is authenticated by... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavier054
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

test for function name?

Hi, I found this: https://www.unix.com/unix-advanced-expert-users/27318-how-see-function-shell.html which indicates I can use typeset -f to list the functions. But it also lists the contents of the functions. Is there a lighter weight way to see what is defined? Is there an internal... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: duderonomy
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test for a file existence

deleted (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test File for Existence with Whitespaces in Path

Hi Everyone! I'm quite new to shell scripting so this might be trivial, though 3 days of struggle and search didn't help to solve the problem: I want to look for files called '*HUN*' in a huge amount of directories most of their names contain whitespaces and print the path of the directory if... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumi76
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test for existence of files

Hello, Can you please help me to see if log files exist in a directory? I need to scan logs in different directories, so I am using an array to change dynamically. I need help in the if test statement dir=/logs/MSD dir=/logs/UPD countA=1 while (( countA <= ${#dir } )) do cd ${dir}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
1 Replies

7. Solaris

How to test the existence of trailer record

SunOS 5.10 Generic_142900-15 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5240 I have a script that needs to test a file for the existence of a trailer record. Is there a command and is a header and trailer differect record type? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

test for existence of files with same extension

Hi, I am checking for existence of files with the same extensions #! /usr/bin/ksh txtfiles = '*.txt' if then cp ${dirpath}/${txtfiles} ${dir2path} fi I am getting the following error line 5: [: too many arguments for the if check condition (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chen.sara
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

explanation of test function

I have found a code some where, which looks like if (test $value) then <do something> fi I am not understanding what is test doing here. I have seen test with !,-eq, -e etc. But, the above appears to be a new one to me. Can anyone please expalin me. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test function not working

i am writing the following snippet and cannot figure out why the variable measType remains 0. it should be 1 I also tried "\#analog" and '\#analog' in the test statement and it still doesn't work. What is going on? bash$ measType=0 bash$ read line < 2iconfig.ini bash$ echo $line #analog... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oahmad
4 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)