Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting the path from a variable Post 302172541 by vanathi on Tuesday 4th of March 2008 04:06:55 AM
Old 03-04-2008
thank you

thank you danmero. it is working.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Path Environment Variable

Hi..... I'm kind of new to c programming in Unix...need help here. Supposed to write a source code to support Path environment variable for my programming assignment for Spring semester. but i'm kind of stuck. Could anyone out there assist me? prompt> /bin/ls My program could output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tancy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

:: in PATH environment variable

whats the meaning of :: colon in PATH environment? /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/gnu/bin::.:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/gnu/bin:/usr/local/bin and whats the meaning of // in PATH ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set variable PATH

Hi, i know that this topic discussed for many times but although i had researched them i couldnt succeed in my problem. i am following a step-by-step instruction guide and must do the following: ------------- To ensure access, set the path PATH $ORACLE_HOME/perl/bin:$PATH and set the Perl... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merope
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a variable in File Path

How can i add a varying filename at the end of a constant file path? Eg: Variable containing file name is varfile (say varfile=newfile) File path is C:\Test\ I want to access newfile which can be done as C:/\Test/\newfile But instead of directly accesing the newfile i want to access it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_hi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove a path from PATH environment variable

Hi I need a script which will remove a path from PATH environment variable. For example $echo PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:test/rmve:/usr/games $echo rmv test/rmve Here I need a shell script which will remove rmv path (test/rmve) from PATH... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu84
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

one liner to extract path from PATH variable

Hi, Could anyone help me in writing a single line code by either using (sed, awk, perl or whatever) to extract a specific path from the PATH environment variable? for eg: suppose the PATH is being set as follows PATH=/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/java:/usr/bin/perl3.4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a path in user's PATH variable

Hello Folks, I want to append a path in user's PATH variable which should be available in current session. Background Numerous persons will run a utility. Aim is to add the absolute path of the utility the first time it runs so that next runs have the PATH in env & users can directly run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Path a variable to sed that includes a path

Hi I'm trying to select text between two lines, I'm using sed to to this, but I need to pass variables to it. For example start="BEGIN /home/mavkoup/data" end="END" sed -n -e '/${start}/,/${end}/g' doesn't work. I've tried double quotes as well. I think there's a problem with the / in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavkoup
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate Path name to a variable??

I have the path name in a Variable Ex: $XML_PATH_FLAG = /ebs/appl/u00/universe01/inbound/universeorders Now I have to pick up ALL XML files in this directory . In other words I have to pick up ALL the files /ebs/appl/u00/universe01/inbound/universeorders/F1.xml... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pete.kriya
2 Replies
scandir(3)						     Library Functions Manual							scandir(3)

NAME
scandir, alphasort - Scans or sorts directory contents LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/dir.h> int scandir ( char *dir_name, struct dirent * (*name_list[ ]), int (*select) ( struct dirent *dir ), int (*compare) ( struct dirent **dir1, struct dirent **dir2 ) ); int alphasort ( struct dirent **dir1, struct dirent **dir2 ); PARAMETERS
Points to the directory name. Points to the array of pointers to directory entries. Points to a user-supplied function that is called by the scandir() function to select which entries to include in the array. Points to a user-supplied function that sorts the completed array. Points to a dirent structure. Points to a dirent structure. DESCRIPTION
The scandir() function reads the directory pointed to by the dir_name parameter. It then uses the malloc() function to create an array of pointers to directory entries. The scandir() function returns the number of entries in the array and, through the name_list parameter, a pointer to the array. The select parameter points to a user-supplied function that the scandir() function calls to select which entries to include in the array. The selection routine is passed a pointer to a directory entry and returns a nonzero value for a directory entry that is included in the array. If the select parameter is a null value, all directory entries are included. The compare parameter points to a user-supplied function that is passed to the qsort() function to sort the completed array. If the compare parameter is a null value, the array is not sorted. The memory allocated to the array can be deallocated by freeing each pointer in the array, and the array itself, with the free() function. The alphasort() function alphabetically compares the two dirent structures pointed to by the dir1 and dir2 parameters. This function can be passed as the compare parameter to either the scandir() function or the qsort() function. A user-supplied subroutine may also be used. RETURN VALUES
The scandir() function returns -1 if the directory cannot be opened for reading or if the malloc() function cannot allocate enough memory to hold all the data structures. If successful, the scandir() function returns the number of entries found. The alphasort() function returns the following values: Less than 0 (zero): The dirent structure pointed to by the dir1 parameter is lexi- cally less than the dirent structure pointed to by the dir2 parameter. 0 (zero): The dirent structures pointed to by the dir1 parameter and the dir2 parameter are equal. Greater than 0 (zero): The dirent structure pointed to by the dir1 parameter is lexically greater than the dirent structure pointed to by the dir2 parameter. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: malloc(3), opendir(3), qsort(3) delim off scandir(3)