Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help.. Problems in using awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help.. Problems in using awk Post 302172463 by Perderabo on Monday 3rd of March 2008 09:44:52 PM
Old 03-03-2008
Code:
$ echo 00450000.000000 00402300.000000 00040000.000000 00020000.000000 00020000.000000 00020000.000000 00020000.000000 \
| awk -v RS=" " '{sum=sum+$1;printf("sum: %.0f\n",sum)}'
sum: 450000
sum: 852300
sum: 892300
sum: 912300
sum: 932300
sum: 952300
sum: 972300

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with AWK

Hi I'm a newbie to Unix scripting and was having some problems with AWK. I have written this little script that should read a process list and then print out the PID's of the offending processes. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work! The script is as follows: ps -ef | awk '{if... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: trainee
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk problems

If i try the -f option for awk, i get the "awk: can't open " error message The following awk statement works fine without the -f option `awk <$RULES '/^IGNORE_POLICY / { print $2 }'` Below how i turned on debugging to show what is happening, can someone provide me with some advice!!!! ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junes
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

awk problems

awk ' FILENAME=="First"{ arr = 1; x=sub ; } FILENAME=="Second"{ if (/^10/ &&... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ehab
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problems with awk

Using Linux, I am trying to create a list of all the lines that have "Non-white" or "No" in column 3 of a file: ethnicity.txt. I have used the following command : awk '$3 == "No" || $3 == "Non-white" {print $1, $2, $3}' ethnicity.txt This only returns the lines with "No" and none of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: polly_falconer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problems using awk command.

Hi All, I have the following requirement. In a directory i get files from external source. I at regular intervals check that directory for any incoming files. The file name is underscore delimited. Such as: aaa_bbb_ccc_ddd_eee_fff.dat I am using awk and and splitting the file name. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishpv_2002
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with AWK

Hi I am writing a shell script for a number of things and aone problem that keeps comming up is AWK formatting. When commands are typed into the command line they are fine, but when executed in the script the results are pilled up and not in a list/table format. I have tried using ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AngelFlesh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple problems in awk

Dear All, I have the following awk script. #!/bin/bash sh stdev.cmd data.file | awk '{print $2}' > out.data read d < out.data echo $d awk '{print $1,$2- $f}' new > newz The script runs "stdev.cmd" and output a file "out.data" and the value of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yacob_123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk problems - awk ignores conditions

awk 'BEGIN{ if('"$CATE"'<'"${WARN}"') printf ("%s", "'"`Kfunc "" ; break`"'") else if (('"${CATE}"'>='"${WARN}"') && ('"${CATE}"'<'"${CRIT}"')) printf ("%s", "'"`Wfunc ""; break`"'") else if ('"${CATE}"'>='"${CRIT}"') printf... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having Problems with AWK

So, I'm having a lot of crazy problems with Awk that I cannot understand. This one in particular is driving me nuts. Here is one section of my Awk script: print $0 sub(/Jan/,"",$2) sub(/Feb/,"",$2) sub(/Mar/,"",$2) sub(/Apr/,"",$2) sub("May","",$2) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrdein
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution Problems with awk

Ubuntu, Bash 4.3.48 Hi, I have this input file: a1:b2:c30:g4:h12:j7 and I want this output file: a1=g4:b2=h12:c30=j7 I can do it this with this code: awk -F':' '{print $1"="$4":"$2"="$5":"$3"="$6"}' INPUT > OUTPUTIn this case I have 6 columns, I calculate manually the half number of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: echo manolis
6 Replies
discgrp(5gv)						     Geometry Project Programs						      discgrp(5gv)

NAME
discrete group file formats SYNOPSIS
An ascii file representation of a discrete geometric group. SUMMARY
This file format applies to a wide variety of groups encountered in topology and geometry. At the beginning of the file is the string DIS- CGRP, in conformity with other OOGL file formats (see oogl(5)). The remainder of the file is a series of parenthesized expressions. The file format is based on an expandable set of key markers and values. A typical entry would be (group borromean ) where parentheses enclose the expression. The string 'group' is called the key marker. The remaining text contains a value, in this case a character string which is the name of the group. Key markers currently recognized and their values include: group A name for this group. comment An arbitrary comment [maximum length 256 bytes] [must be enclosed in double quotes] attribute One of a several keyword identifiers including: euclidean is a euclidean group hyperbolic is a hyperbolic group spherical is a spherical group transposed the matrices are transposed finite this is a finite group model In the case that 'hyperbolic' is an attribute, and the dimension is three, this keyword sets the model that is expected for reading subsequent isometries, i.e., expects elements of SL(2,C) if the model is upperhalfspace or conformalball and O(3,1,R) if it is projective. projective default upperhalfspace conformalball [not currently implemented] display These values set characteristics of the the display of the discrete group. centercam keeps the camera centered in central dirichlet domain. zcull removes tiles which lie behind the camera. showcam if centercam is set, displays camgeom, if provided (see below). dimn The dimension of the space. ngens Number of generators. gens List of generators. nels Number of group elements. els List of group elements. wafile Word acceptor file (in DEAGL format version 2.2) camgeom An OOGL-format geometry description to represent the observer. geom An OOGL-format geometry description. Will replace the default Dirichlet domain computation. String-matching of key markers and attribute values is case-insensitive. Currently all matrices must be 4x4 real matrices. Hence the only valid dimensions are 2,3, or 4. The typical case is dimension 3 where there are projective models for hyperbolic, euclidean, and spherical geometry. Dimension 2 groups should leave the z-coordinate unchanged. Matrices are considered transposed if they are considered to act on column vectors as in: M.v = v'. This is the usual mathematical conven- tion convention. So, if you use this convention you must mark your matrices as being transposed. Group elements are specified by an optional character string followed by a list of 16 real numbers. For the case of generators, the char- acter string represents the name of that generator. Its main use is with the automatic group software: the name used here should match that of the generator in the word acceptor file. It should, for example, be a single character for the software to work reliably. For composite elements, the string is the word in the generators which describes this group element. OOGL libraries expect discrete group files to use the '.dgp' suffix. A file which describes the group of the three dimensional torus follows: DISCGRP (group 3torus ) (comment " This is a test of the new discrete group library. " ) (attribute Euclidean ) (display centercam ) (enumdepth 3 ) # look at all words of length 3 or less in generators (enumdist 10.0 ) # and which don't move the origin more than 10.0 (dimn 3 ) (ngens 3 ) (gens a 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 -0.1 1 b 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0.1 1 0 1 c 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0.2 1 1 ) (cpoint 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 ) (camgeom { = OFF 5 2 5 0 0 0 -0.1 0 0.5 0.1 0 0.5 0 -0.1 0.5 0 0.1 0.5 3 0 1 2 200 200 0 .8 3 0 3 4 0 200 200 .8 } ) FILES
Example group files are to be found in the OOGL release in ${GEOM}/data/groups, where e.g., GEOM = /u/gcg/ngrap. See also discgrp(3) and automata(1). AUTHORS
Charlie Gunn. BUGS
For dimension 2, the code should read and write 3 x 3 matrices. Date: 92/08/26 discgrp(5gv)