Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl: finding pattern and substituting Post 302172456 by matt.d on Monday 3rd of March 2008 08:07:17 PM
Old 03-03-2008
Yes -- you use the substitution syntax:

s/<regex you want to find>/<string you want to substitute/

Example: s/matt/MATT/ will substitute "matt" with "MATT."

Incidentally, another way to do your regex would be /-[0-9]{4}/ and you could do your substitution like: s/-[0-9]{4}/string/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Last occurance of another pattern when a pattern is found.

Hi, I have two files viz, rak1: $ cat rak1 rak2: $ cat rak2 sdiff rak1 rak2 returns: I want the lines that got modified, changed, or deleted preceding with the section they are in. I have done this so far: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl:: search for tow pattern and replace the third pattern

Hi i want to search two pattern on same line and replace onther pattern.. INPut file aaaa bbbbb nnnnnn ttttt cccc bbbbb nnnnnn ppppp dddd ccccc nnnnnn ttttt ffff bbbbb oooooo ttttt now i want replace this matrix like.. i want search for "bbbbb","nnnnnn" and search and replace for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitindreamz
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding a pattern

Hi, I have the below content in file: <xmlfile> ows_Body="Hi" ows_Title="Title" ows_Author="krishna" </xmlfile> I wanted to remove ows_Body content from the file. I am using the below code sed -e 's/ows_Body.*ows/ows/g' Giving output: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahish20
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding a pattern with grep

I am interested in finding a pattern that looks like this AABBACC These letters are just for example but they can be any letter in the alphabet as long as they are different from each other, but the letter found in a certain spot should act like in the pattern above. Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moyzZ
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to finding the exact pattern

I have a output like below: A1 B2 C1 D3 A12 B4 A14 I am trying to find A1 by using grep grep -i "A1" But I got (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding Pattern

Hi, i need some help regarding finding a pattern in files inside a direstory. i have these files abc123.txt cemj111.txt ckmem.txt cmick.txt crnnc.txt montt.txt xyz123.txt dfd123.txt cvv123.txt i need to find the files with name "*123.txt" which does not contain a perticular... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu182
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding a Particular Pattern In UNIX

Hi, Suppose I have a file with many lines as follows. Now I want to find the following questions from the file through shell script or commands. My name is XYZ. XYZ works for GHT and XYZ is part of PES. GHT is a good organization. XYZ knows swimming. XYZ is also very keen in reading. XYZ is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sktkpl
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the pattern and replacing the pattern inside the file

i have little challenge, help me out.i have a file where i have a value declared and and i have to replace the value when called. for example i have the value for abc and ccc. now i have to substitute the value of value abc and ccc in the place of them. Input File: go to &abc=ddd; if... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: saaisiva
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed] Finding and sticking the pattern to the beginning of successive lines up to the next pattern

I have a file like below. 2018.07.01, Sunday 09:27 some text 123456789 0 21 0.06 0.07 0.00 2018.07.02, Monday 09:31 some text 123456789 1 41 0.26 0.32 0.00 09:39 some text 456789012 1 0.07 0.09 0.09 09:45 some text 932469494 1 55 0.29 0.36 0.00 16:49 some text 123456789 0 48 0.12 0.15 0.00... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: father_7
9 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)