Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Filtering paquets with pcap.h Post 302172343 by ramen_noodle on Monday 3rd of March 2008 12:17:38 PM
Old 03-03-2008
Sure. But the pcap_dump() function and whatever method you use to store the u_char packet data and pcap_pkthdr elements gives you the raw information you need. The parsing logic for packet and packet header is what it sounds like you need.

This may help..I don't think it's very well written but it gives you a start.
libpcap packet capture tutorial

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Compiling Pcap.c

I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this but hopefully someone can atleast point me in the right direction if they can't help me. I am trying to install the Net::Pcap module for perl from Tim Potter version .04. I have installed gcc 2.95.3 on my Solaris 8 box. I am sure it's just... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TioTony
6 Replies

2. Programming

pcap.h

I cant use pcap.h include file. How can I do so? :confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pervez Sajjad
8 Replies

3. Programming

Pcap.h Sniffing

Can someone please help me figure out how to use pcap.h to sniff packets between only 2 computers whose mac addresses are know? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: papabearcares
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pcap.h Sniffing

Can someone please help me figure out how to use pcap.h to sniff packets between only 2 computers whose mac addresses are know? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: papabearcares
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering pcap files

Hi, I am new at UNIX and programing in general and only have a basic knowledge of C++. I am helping out with some research at a college and was given the task to sort through captured packets via IP addresses. I was wondering if anyone could help me with writing a code which filters through pcap... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hershey101
1 Replies

6. Programming

searching through pcap files

Hi, I am new at UNIX and programing in general and only have a basic knowledge of C++. I am helping out with some research at a college and was given the task to sort through captured packets via IP addresses. I was wondering if anyone could help me with writing a code which filters through pcap... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hershey101
4 Replies

7. Programming

Packet capturing using pcap

Hi, i am using a linux CentOS machine. I have 2 real network interfaces eth0, eth1 and 2 virtual interfaces tap0 and tap1. I am using PCAP library to capture the packets on theses interfaces. If i specify the interface as "any", i cannot find a way to know from which interface the packet... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulnitk2004
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sampling pcap file

Hi, I have a standard pcap file created using tcpdump. The file looks like 06:49:36.487629 IP 202.1.175.252 > 71.126.222.64: ICMP echo request, id 52765, seq 1280, length 40 06:49:36.489552 IP 192.120.148.227 > 71.126.222.64: ICMP echo request, id 512, seq 1280, length 40 06:49:36.491812 IP... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajal.bhatia
8 Replies

9. Programming

Ascii vs Pcap tracing

Dear All, Which is better to use ? Ascii or Pcap tracing ? Or are they complementary ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knowledgeSeeker
1 Replies

10. Programming

PCAP -> PFRING

Hi I have a program that captures packets with the libpcap library by calling the pcap-functions, e.g. pcap_next(...). I would like to use PF_RING for the program and therefore I would have to adjust the calling functions to pfring_open(...) pfring_recv(...) I'm pretty knew in network... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Freaky123
0 Replies
PCAP_NEXT_EX(3PCAP)													       PCAP_NEXT_EX(3PCAP)

NAME
pcap_next_ex, pcap_next - read the next packet from a pcap_t SYNOPSIS
#include <pcap/pcap.h> int pcap_next_ex(pcap_t *p, struct pcap_pkthdr **pkt_header, const u_char **pkt_data); const u_char *pcap_next(pcap_t *p, struct pcap_pkthdr *h); DESCRIPTION
pcap_next_ex() reads the next packet and returns a success/failure indication. If the packet was read without problems, the pointer pointed to by the pkt_header argument is set to point to the pcap_pkthdr struct for the packet, and the pointer pointed to by the pkt_data argument is set to point to the data in the packet. The struct pcap_pkthdr and the packet data are not to be freed by the caller, and are not guaranteed to be valid after the next call to pcap_next_ex(), pcap_next(), pcap_loop(), or pcap_dispatch(); if the code needs them to remain valid, it must make a copy of them. pcap_next() reads the next packet (by calling pcap_dispatch() with a cnt of 1) and returns a u_char pointer to the data in that packet. The packet data is not to be freed by the caller, and is not guaranteed to be valid after the next call to pcap_next_ex(), pcap_next(), pcap_loop(), or pcap_dispatch(); if the code needs it to remain valid, it must make a copy of it. The pcap_pkthdr structure pointed to by h is filled in with the appropriate values for the packet. RETURN VALUE
pcap_next_ex() returns 1 if the packet was read without problems, 0 if packets are being read from a live capture, and the timeout expired, -1 if an error occurred while reading the packet, and -2 if packets are being read from a ``savefile'', and there are no more packets to read from the savefile. If -1 is returned, pcap_geterr() or pcap_perror() may be called with p as an argument to fetch or display the error text. pcap_next() returns a pointer to the packet data on success, and returns NULL if an error occurred, or if no packets were read from a live capture (if, for example, they were discarded because they didn't pass the packet filter, or if, on platforms that support a read timeout that starts before any packets arrive, the timeout expires before any packets arrive, or if the file descriptor for the capture device is in non-blocking mode and no packets were available to be read), or if no more packets are available in a ``savefile.'' Unfortunately, there is no way to determine whether an error occurred or not. SEE ALSO
pcap(3PCAP), pcap_geterr(3PCAP), pcap_dispatch(3PCAP) 5 April 2008 PCAP_NEXT_EX(3PCAP)