Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Check existence of a login
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Check existence of a login Post 302172290 by xavier054 on Monday 3rd of March 2008 09:19:39 AM
Old 03-03-2008
MySQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
No, in general, a shell does not know whether a particular user exists or not. The operating system may know that information.

As for tilde expansion, here is the relevant section from ksh93 s+.
Thanks, this answers my question. Furthermore I was wrong, and you are right: the shell knows only for users already logged at least once on the system. I could test getpwnam() on a set of PCs running Linux with PAM authentication, it failed for PAM logins of users that never logged on the machine. Same occurred with tidlde expansion.

BTW, I understand that getpwnam() manpage is confusing : it claims that /etc/passwd is parsed. But seen the output of last(1), and the outcome of my test, I understand it is rather /var/run/wtmp...

X.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for FILES existence

hi, I have a list of filenames and I want to verify if they all exist. I know "if filename" would do the trick but how do I go about a list of files? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable check for existence ?

Hi , I have a script wherein i have a For Loop. Within this for loop i create a variable and assign it a value. The script goes to a For Loop only if certain conditions are met , which means the variable may or may not exists. However down the line in the script i have to check if that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samit_9999
2 Replies

3. Programming

C function to test existence of a login

Hi everybody, I need to check in C program whether a given login is known on the system. Is there any system function that could do this ? So far, all I could find is getpwnam(), which answers my problem by parsing the local password database. But won't work if a user is authenticated by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavier054
2 Replies

4. AIX

check for file existence

Hello I am having a requirement like if there is no file in the directory then i need a message to pop on after the execution of the script. My script basically does for File in `ls -t $DIRECTORY | tail -1`; if there is no file the DIRECTORY then the script is simply exiting with out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
2 Replies

5. AIX

Check for File Existence

I have requirement where i need to search for files which start with SALESORDER and PURCHASEORDER. i need to process the files with SALESORDER first and then PURCHASEORDER. If SALESORDER files are not there i dont want to process PURCHASEORDER and i want to come out of script. I have written a code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check existence of the path

Hi How can I check if the path exist or not? echo "Enter path:"; read my_path; ##I should check whether my_path exists or not.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for file existence?

i want to check if the file is in the directory or not, and also it should be handle error conditions, like missing files and report the error and exit. i did something like this: file ="hello" if !test -e "${file}" then echo "No such files exist!" exit 1 else do something....... fi ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mingming88
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To check for existence of a file

I need to check for the existence of a file *.log in a specific directory using a perl script. Presently am not in that particular directory. So i am using chdir ("/path/to/my/file) And then i am using the -e in an if statement to check if it exists. if (-e $File) {......} $File contains the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manutd
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the Files existence

Hi I have a requirement to check whether the files exists, then it will call other steps in shell script. I did ls *.csv|wc -l if then checking the count of the files should be more than 1 then it will call other steps. I am getting the error that too many arguements as there n... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnrj
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence check

hi i wanted to check if the file exist or not(multiple files) DIRE=/home/V478 if ; then echo "file present" else echo "file not present" fi But i am getting the error as : [: unexpected operator/operand (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
3 Replies
PAM_ISSUE(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						      PAM_ISSUE(8)

NAME
pam_issue - PAM module to add issue file to user prompt SYNOPSIS
pam_issue.so [noesc] [issue=issue-file-name] DESCRIPTION
pam_issue is a PAM module to prepend an issue file to the username prompt. It also by default parses escape codes in the issue file similar to some common getty's (using x format). Recognized escapes: d current day l name of this tty m machine architecture (uname -m) machine's network node hostname (uname -n) o domain name of this system release number of operating system (uname -r) current time s operating system name (uname -s) u number of users currently logged in U same as u except it is suffixed with "user" or "users" (eg. "1 user" or "10 users") v operating system version and build date (uname -v) OPTIONS
noesc Turns off escape code parsing. issue=issue-file-name The file to output if not using the default. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the auth module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_IGNORE The prompt was already changed. PAM_SERVICE_ERR A service module error occurred. PAM_SUCCESS The new prompt was set successfully. EXAMPLES
Add the following line to /etc/pam.d/login to set the user specific issue at login: auth optional pam_issue.so issue=/etc/issue SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8) AUTHOR
pam_issue was written by Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_ISSUE(8)