Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to know the status of process running in background Post 302172187 by sumanta on Monday 3rd of March 2008 02:07:13 AM
Old 03-03-2008
How to know the status of process running in background

I have run one shell script in background that contains a endless while loop.
I am not able to know the status of that job .
Please provide any command to know this. I have already used "ps -aef" , "jobs" to know it , but it didn't work. I am sure the process is running as it is generating a file as expected continiously . I want to kill that process now.......................what to do ???????????pls help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running process in background

I'm trying to install a solaris 9 patch cluster and when I try to use & to run in background it won't allow me to enter in my sudo password so it fails the install and sudo auth. Does Solaris not have screen like linux? If & will work what am I doing wrong? sudo ./install_cluster -q & is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
3 Replies

2. Solaris

how to capture oracle export log while running as background process

I ran the Oracle 9i export command from a terminal to export out a big table using "exp andrew/password file=andrew.dmp log=andrew.log" From the terminal I can see that the export is running as there is some output from the oracle export job. The export job is not complete yet. When i go check... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hippo2020
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to export a variable from a child process running in background to the parent

Hi All, I have a script which calls a child script with a parameter to be run in the background . childscript.ksh $a & Can any one suggest me how do i export a variable from the child script to parent script? Note that the child script is in background If the child script is in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixjadoo
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

send a new value to a variable in a running background process

Hi guys, I have a issue with a background process, I need to update the value of a variable in that process which is running at this time and it will be running for at least 2 days. Any idea? I will apreciate your help. regards. Razziel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: razziel
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the exit status of the script running in background

Hi All, I have a scenario where I am executing some child shell scripts in background (using &)through a master parent script. Is there a way I can capture the exit status of each individual child script after the execution is completed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to see process running at background

Hi , I want to see all the background process that are running in unix box machine...please guide me is there any specific command for that..since I am executing some scripts at background..!!:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nks342
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Shell Script in the cron, background process

Hi, i was looking for an answer for some trouble im having runing a script in the cron, thing is, that when i run it manually it works just fine. But when cron runs it, it just doenst work. I saw a reply on a similar subject, suggesting that the . .profile worked for you, but im kind of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: blacksteel1988
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get status of dd running in background job

Hello everyone While working on TUI for scripts, there there came the idea to' add a command' for dd too. That was, after 'wrapping' tar and wget either, to display their growing size and return the exit code with a textual-visual-feedback to the user. Now displaying the filesize of a... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return from background process and check if it is running or not?

Hi Team, i am executing 3 scripts in background from 1 script and i want to send a message once the script gets completed.these scripts usually takes 1 hr to complete. My sample script is below, Vi abc.sh sh /opt/data/Split_1.sh & sh /opt/data/Split_2.sh & sh /opt/data/Split_3.sh & ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Running process in the background

Hi, I have this simple c program that creates duplicate process with fork(): #include <sys/types.h> main() { if (fork() == 0) while(1); else while(1); } I tried running it in the background gcc -o test first.c test & And I got this list of running process: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uniran
4 Replies
WAIT(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   WAIT(1)

NAME
wait -- await process completion SYNOPSIS
wait [pid] DESCRIPTION
If invoked with no arguments, the wait utility waits until all existing child processes in the background have terminated. Available operands: pid If a pid operand is specified, and it is the process ID of a background child process that still exists, the wait utility waits until that process has completed and consumes its status information, without consuming the status information of any other process. If a pid operand is specified that is not the process ID of a child background process that still exists, wait exits without waiting for any processes to complete. The wait utility exits with one of the following values: 0 The wait utility was invoked with no operands and all of the existing background child processes have terminated, or the process specified by the pid operand exited normally with 0 as its exit status. >0 The specified process did not exist and its exit status information was not available, or the specified process existed or its exit status information was available, and it terminated with a non-zero exit status. If the specified process terminated abnormally due to the receipt of a signal, the exit status information of wait contains that termination status as well. STANDARDS
The wait command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD