Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help with a 'while read' loop to change the names of files Post 302171968 by starsky on Saturday 1st of March 2008 11:34:15 AM
Old 03-01-2008
vgersh99 I tried tinkering with the script you gave me but still couldn't get it working - still struggle with basic scripting.

ghostdog74 - script worked a treat, I just wish I could understand what everything is doing

thanks again guys.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help writing script to read files names

Hi there, I am trying to do somehting similar, but on a wider scale. I am trying to write a script that would open the home directory, open the first (of 650) user's folder open the ?mail directory, which every user has Then I need the script to read each of the files and folder names with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: technett
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change files names

HI, Is there any possibility to change names of many files using "mv" and "for" loop ??? For ex. I have many txt files. file1.txt file2.txt ... And I tried something like this, but it's not working for (( i=1 ; $i<=10 ; i++ )) ; do mv file$i.txt newfile$1.txt; done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Physix
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read and edit multiple files using a while loop

Hi all, I would like to simply read a file which lists a number of pathnames and files, then search and replace key strings using a few vi commands: :1,$s/search_str/replace_str/g<return> but I am not sure how to automate the <return> of these vis commands when I am putting this in a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Writing a loop to changing the names of files in a directory

Hi, I would like to write a loop to change the names of files in a directory. The files are called data1.txt through data1000.txt. I'd like to change their names to a1.txt through a1000.txt. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two columns from two files with similar names into a loop

I have two files like this: fileA.net A B C fileA.dat 1 2 3 and I want the output output_expected A 1 B 2 C 3 I know that the easier way is to do a paste fileA.net fileA.dat, but the problem is that I have 10,000 couple of files (fileB.net with fileB.dat; fileC.net with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
3 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Change name of files to their paths -- find loop

Dear All, I have many sub-folders but each of them have a file with same name but different data. I want to either move or copy them into a new folder but they need to have the path of where they are coming as part of their name... I have managed to find the files but dont know how to change... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop inside awk to read and print contents of files

Hello, I have a set of files Xfile0001 - Xfile0021, and the content of this files (one at a time) needs to be printed between some line (lines start with word "Generated") that I am extracting from another file called file7.txt and all the output goes into output.txt. First I tried creating a for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaldo0805
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read loop from two files using descriptors

What I would like to do is read each line in the atdinfile: A sample atdinfile would look like this: 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 664 665 666 667 668 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop a file containing list of file names until the files are found?

Hi, I have a control file which will contain all filenames(300) files. Loop through all the file names in the control files and check the existence of this file in another directory(same server). I need to infinitely(2 hrs) run this while loop until all the files are found. Once a file is found,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

10. Programming

Read .xlsx and text files in a loop using openpyxl

I have a list of .xlsx files (names 1.xlsx, 2.xlsx etc) in a directory, on which I need to insert data from its corresponding text file (named 1.txt, 2.txt etc) on the second worksheet named 'Filtered' and save it. The code I am trying is #!/usr/bin/python import os from... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
8 Replies
SIEVESHELL(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     SIEVESHELL(1)

NAME
sieveshell - remotely manipulate sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
sieveshell [--user=user] [--authname=authname] [--realm=realm] [--password=password] [--exec=script] [--execfile=file] server[:port] sieveshell --help DESCRIPTION
sieveshell allows users to manipulate their scripts on a remote server. It works via MANAGESIEVE, a work in progress. The following commands are recognized: list list scripts on server. put <filename> upload script to server. get <name> [<filename>] get script. if no filename display to stdout delete <name> delete script. activate <name> activate script. deactivate deactivate all scripts. OPTIONS
-u user, --user=user The authorization name to request; by default, derived from the authentication credentials. -a authname, --authname=authname The user to use for authentication (defaults to current user). -r realm, --realm=realm The realm to attempt authentication in. -p password, --password=password The password to use when authenticating to server. Note that this parameter can be seen in the process list. Use with caution! -e script, --exec=script Instead of working interactively, run commands from script, and exit when done. -f file, --execfile=file Instead of working interactively, run commands from file file and exit when done. REFERENCES
[MANAGESIEVE] Martin, T.; "A Protocol for Remotely Managing Sieve Scripts", draft-ietf-managesieve-03.txt, Mirapoint, Inc.; May 2001, work in progress. AUTHOR
Tim Martin <tmartin@mirapoint.com>, and the rest of the Cyrus team <cyrus-bugs@andrew.cmu.edu>. perl v5.14.2 2014-06-03 SIEVESHELL(1)