Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help with a 'while read' loop to change the names of files Post 302171958 by ghostdog74 on Saturday 1st of March 2008 10:26:44 AM
Old 03-01-2008
Code:
#!/bin/sh

path="/path/oldnames"
newpath="/path/newname"
ls $path | awk -v path=$path -v newpath=$newpath ' pass the variables path and newpath to awk
BEGIN{ 
  # this "BEGIN" block will be executed first before any input record is processed
 q="\047"  # set variable q to contain the single quote
 while( (getline f < "names" ) > 0 ) { 
   # get the contents of "names" file, using f to store each line as the while loop iterates the file
   # then store the value of each line (f) to array "a". "c" is the index of the array
   a[++c]=f
 } 
 close("names") # close the file
}
{
  # process the results of "ls" command, putting each file listed into array "b", and increment the index
 b[++d]=$0  # 
}
END{
  # the below is done at the very end of processing the inputs.
  for ( i=1; i<=c;i++) {
    cmd="cp "q path"/"b[i] q" "q newpath"/"a[i]q
    print cmd
    #system(cmd) #uncomment to execute
  }
}
'

Last edited by ghostdog74; 03-01-2008 at 10:04 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help writing script to read files names

Hi there, I am trying to do somehting similar, but on a wider scale. I am trying to write a script that would open the home directory, open the first (of 650) user's folder open the ?mail directory, which every user has Then I need the script to read each of the files and folder names with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: technett
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change files names

HI, Is there any possibility to change names of many files using "mv" and "for" loop ??? For ex. I have many txt files. file1.txt file2.txt ... And I tried something like this, but it's not working for (( i=1 ; $i<=10 ; i++ )) ; do mv file$i.txt newfile$1.txt; done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Physix
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read and edit multiple files using a while loop

Hi all, I would like to simply read a file which lists a number of pathnames and files, then search and replace key strings using a few vi commands: :1,$s/search_str/replace_str/g<return> but I am not sure how to automate the <return> of these vis commands when I am putting this in a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Writing a loop to changing the names of files in a directory

Hi, I would like to write a loop to change the names of files in a directory. The files are called data1.txt through data1000.txt. I'd like to change their names to a1.txt through a1000.txt. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two columns from two files with similar names into a loop

I have two files like this: fileA.net A B C fileA.dat 1 2 3 and I want the output output_expected A 1 B 2 C 3 I know that the easier way is to do a paste fileA.net fileA.dat, but the problem is that I have 10,000 couple of files (fileB.net with fileB.dat; fileC.net with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
3 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Change name of files to their paths -- find loop

Dear All, I have many sub-folders but each of them have a file with same name but different data. I want to either move or copy them into a new folder but they need to have the path of where they are coming as part of their name... I have managed to find the files but dont know how to change... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop inside awk to read and print contents of files

Hello, I have a set of files Xfile0001 - Xfile0021, and the content of this files (one at a time) needs to be printed between some line (lines start with word "Generated") that I am extracting from another file called file7.txt and all the output goes into output.txt. First I tried creating a for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaldo0805
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read loop from two files using descriptors

What I would like to do is read each line in the atdinfile: A sample atdinfile would look like this: 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 664 665 666 667 668 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop a file containing list of file names until the files are found?

Hi, I have a control file which will contain all filenames(300) files. Loop through all the file names in the control files and check the existence of this file in another directory(same server). I need to infinitely(2 hrs) run this while loop until all the files are found. Once a file is found,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

10. Programming

Read .xlsx and text files in a loop using openpyxl

I have a list of .xlsx files (names 1.xlsx, 2.xlsx etc) in a directory, on which I need to insert data from its corresponding text file (named 1.txt, 2.txt etc) on the second worksheet named 'Filtered' and save it. The code I am trying is #!/usr/bin/python import os from... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
8 Replies
Rscript(1)								FSF								Rscript(1)

NAME
Rscript - front end for scripting with R SYNOPSIS
Rscript [--options] [-e expr] file [args] DESCRIPTION
A binary front-end to R, for use in scripting applications. expr An optional expression to be evaluated, used in place of expr. file Input file of R expressions args Optional further arguments to be processed by commandArgs in the R interpreter. OPTIONS
--options accepted are --help Print usage and exit --version Print version and exit --verbose Print information on progress --default-packages=list Where 'list' is a comma-separated set of package names, or 'NULL' and also options to R (in addition to --slave --no-restore), such as --save Do save workspace at the end of the session --no-environ Don't read the site and user environment files --no-site-file Don't read the site-wide Rprofile --no-init-file Don't read the user R profile --restore Do restore previously saved objects at startup --vanilla Combine --no-save, --no-restore, --no-site-file --no-init-file and --no-environ SEE ALSO
R(1) R scripting April 2007 Rscript(1)