Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using system calls
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Using system calls Post 302171923 by Perderabo on Saturday 1st of March 2008 04:21:40 AM
Old 03-01-2008
System calls are subroutines or functions that can be invoked from a C program. The program that invokes one must test the reurn code to see if it worked. If not, the program may display an error. But what message, if any, will be displayed is up to the programmer who wrote the program.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Calls

What does the system call "dup" do? What is the difference between dup and dup2 I have a fair idea of what it does but I am confused when its coming down to the exact details... Please help me!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clickonline1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls for cp and mv

Which system calls are made for operations cp and mv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurava99
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls?

open, creat, read, write, lseek and close Are they all primitive? :confused: *Another Question: is there a different between a system call, and an i/o system call? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PlunderBunny
2 Replies

4. Solaris

System calls ?

where can i find the differences in System calls between solaris and aix? also is it possible to find a comprehensive list of them? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECHRAMESH
1 Replies

5. Programming

System calls

why user is not able to switch from user to kernel mode by writing the function whose code is identical to system call. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
1 Replies

6. BSD

system calls

what is the functions and relationship between fork,exec,wait system calls as i am a beginer just want the fundamentals. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sangramdas
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About system calls.

Hi all, I am new here . I want to know about system call in detail. As system calls are also function .How system identifies it.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system calls in C

Hello, how would i be able to call ps in C programming? thanks, ---------- Post updated at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:31 AM ---------- here's the complete system call, ps -o pid -p %d, getpit() (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls in UNIX

Hi i am very new to programming in UNIX and don't understand the difference between a system call and a normal function call. Also can I implement system calls from within a program? If so could someone please give me an example of a system call from within a program. Lastly, when creating a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bjhum33
1 Replies

10. Programming

Are system calls in c language only????

Hi friends, I have three questions. 1) What are system calls? 2) Is it necessary that system calls be in c language (in unix operating system)? 3) Importance of c language when programming in unix environment??? Looking forward to your wonderful replies! ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies
GETCIFSACL(1)						  CIFS Access Control List Tools					     GETCIFSACL(1)

NAME
getcifsacl - Userspace helper to display an ACL in a security descriptor for Common Internet File System (CIFS) SYNOPSIS
getcifsacl [-v|-r] {file system object} DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the cifs-utils suite. getcifsacl is a userspace helper program for the Linux CIFS client file system. It is intended to display a security descriptor including ACL for a file system object. It is best utilized when an option of cifsacl is specified when mounting a cifs share in conjunction with winbind facility of Samba suite. Fields of an ACE such as SID, type, flags, and mask are displayed separated by /. Numeric values of type, flags, and mask are displayed in hexadecimal format. OPTIONS
-v Print version number and exit. -r Display a security descriptor in raw mode. Values such as type and flags are displayed in hexadecimal format, a SID is not mapped to a name. NOTES
Kernel support for getcifsacl/setcifsacl utilities was initially introduced in the 2.6.37 kernel. SEE ALSO
mount.cifs(8), winbindd(8), setcifsacl(1) AUTHOR
Shirish Pargaonkar wrote the getcifsacl program. The Linux CIFS Mailing list is the preferred place to ask questions regarding these programs. cifs-utils 08/19/2011 GETCIFSACL(1)