Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Recursively changing permissions on files Post 302171921 by Perderabo on Saturday 1st of March 2008 04:15:25 AM
Old 03-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamaha
Please excuse for double posting,
Excuse me for enforcing the rules, but if you keep this up you will be banned. Please read the rules.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing file permissions

Use the following to Change permission of fileB (fileB could be fileB*) to change its permission same as the permission of fileA. chmod `ls -l fileA | awk '{pr int "u+", substr($1,2,1), substr($1,3,1), substr($1,4,1), ",g+", substr($1,5,1), substr($1,6,1), substr($1,7,1), ",o+",... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagansharma
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing Permissions

Is it possible to change the permissons for an entire directory in one shot? I'm telneting on to a linux server. ...just a beginner-- --Paul (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdavid
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing permissions of a user

So I need to change the permissions of my user account. I can access the root account on the server, but don't know how to change the permissions of my user account. I was advised to try 'userconf' to see if I am part of a group, but I dunno how that works. ANyone who knows how to see the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: achink125
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing file permissions

Is there a way to change a unix user's default file permissions so that when he creates a file, by default permissions are 777??? Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in changing Permissions to 775 for files and directories

Hi All I need to create a script which would change Permissions to 775 All the Files and directories will be mentioned in the Paramter files Can anyone give a Hint how to proceed in this ?? THanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranga27
1 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

Recursively find and change Permissions on Man pages

Just joined after using the site as a guest.. (Very Good Stuff in here.. thanks folks.) I am in the process of hardening a Solaris 10 server using JASS. I also must use DISA Security Checklists (SRR) scripts to test for things that did not get hardened to DISA standards. One of the things... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: altamaha
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing file permission recursively

I have a directory named DIR. The contents of the directory is something like: a.sh b.sh cghsk.sh assjsjkd gdshddll DFG/ ... ... Where only DFG/ is a folder. I want to grant execute permission to all(a+x), for all the files directly under the DIR directory except the files that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script to recursively change permissions on file and dirs differently?

Hi there, I need to change all files/dirs 1. all files with 744 2. all dirs with 755 is there a script for that ? thanks, thegunman (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGunMan
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing the permissions

HI, I wann give permissions to a folder which contains multiple folders..... how can i give permissions to all folder at a time tat means if i give permissions to main folder it the same permissions has to take on all the folders in the main folders how can i use one command to give... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nani1984
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing directory permissions

Hi, Im getting this annoying problem on file permission when I copy a folder to a mounted external directory. the files inside the copied folders become all executable. I tried to search for ways how to undo the permission over the web but to no avail. tried this one but it doesnt change a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
2 Replies
DH_FIXPERMS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_FIXPERMS(1)

NAME
dh_fixperms - fix permissions of files in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_fixperms [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] DESCRIPTION
dh_fixperms is a debhelper program that is responsible for setting the permissions of files and directories in package build directories to a sane state -- a state that complies with Debian policy. dh_fixperms makes all files in usr/share/doc in the package build directory (excluding files in the examples/ directory) be mode 644. It also changes the permissions of all man pages to mode 644. It removes group and other write permission from all files. It removes execute permissions from any libraries, headers, Perl modules, or desktop files that have it set. It makes all files in the standard bin and sbin directories, usr/games/ and etc/init.d executable (since v4). Finally, it removes the setuid and setgid bits from all files in the package. When the Rules-Requires-Root field has the (effective) value of binary-targets, dh_fixperms will also reset the ownership of all paths to "root:root". OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from having their permissions changed. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_FIXPERMS(1)