Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Replacing $ in variable
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replacing $ in variable Post 302171669 by sank on Friday 29th of February 2008 06:59:10 AM
Old 02-29-2008
probably the variable k is not formed correctly. Can you try echo $k and see if you get $DESTDIR/$PKG/$VERSION ? Are you forming the variable k like this : k="\$DESTDIR/\$PKG/\$VERSION" ? if so, the sed command works as expected.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing pattern in variable

My String variable is holding value as - abc"def I want to replce " with \" I tried with awk : echo $var | awk '{gsub(/"/,"\"");print}' and I am getting an error, `)' is not expected. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing set of characters with a value of a variable

I need to replace anything immediately after the pattern "standard01/" in a file with the value of a variable I don't know the length of the characters stored in that variable. - that might vary. I know there is some string after the pattern "standard01/", i don't know the what the string is or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prekida
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in replacing text with the value of a variable

Input file - tmp <begin> ./00003/ ./00004/ <end> I would like to replace "." with the value of pwd so that the output will look like /dev/project/00003/ t=`pwd` sed -e "s/\./$t/g" tmp > tmp1; The above piece of code is not working. Appreciate your help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lotto_123
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a pattern using variable?

ip1="xxx" ip2="bbb" sed 's/$ip1/$ip2/g' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivarajM
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing in a variable

Hi, If I have a variable var1 ='TH 12/1234' How can I set this too in a script var1 ='TH 12~1234' Bearing in mind "/" might be in a difference place each time and that the "/" might not even exist each time the variable is set. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: belfastbelle
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing line with variable

All I want to do is replace the 2nd line in a file with a variable, eg, var=xxx the file 'test' containing: aaa bbb ccc replace bbb with xxx aaa xxx ccc I had it working with sed on a redhat machine, but it doesn't work on a mac machine. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sideways
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing ' ' and :'s with _'s in a variable

Hi guys In my shell script I have a variable that contains a string that contains the current time. I want to replace the spaces and colons in the value with underscores. TIME=`date` echo $TIME gives me: Thu Sep 24 16:40:53 BST 2009 I want it to show:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alinaqvi90
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing date with a variable in a file

Hi, I've a variable for example.. ACTIVATION_DATE=2010-11-11 (the date above is a result of a sql query and not hardcoded) now there is another file (test_2.parm) where there are many variables predefined.. REG_CODE=111 ACT_DATE=2010-10-10 CAN_DATE=8888-31-12 Now I want to search for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RRVARMA
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable to another file and replacing

Hi all, I have a script in file1 which gets input from the user say variable "TYPE". This variable is present in the other file2. I want to replace the variable in the file2 with the value given by the user and print the file. How can I achieve this task? file1 code echo "Give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a variable in a loop

input.txt I want to make 3 seprate ouputs such that toast1.txt ICH.txt ICH_SV.txt I have tried "echo" and "sed 's/k/toast1/g' to replace k, but its not quite working. Please help me out :) Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
4 Replies
lreplace(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       lreplace(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
lreplace - Replace elements in a list with new elements SYNOPSIS
lreplace list first last ?element element ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
lreplace returns a new list formed by replacing one or more elements of list with the element arguments. first and last are index values | specifying the first and last elements of the range to replace. The index values first and last are interpreted the same as index values | for the command string index, supporting simple index arithmetic and indices relative to the end of the list. 0 refers to the first ele- | ment of the list, and end refers to the last element of the list. If list is empty, then first and last are ignored. If first is less than zero, it is considered to refer to before the first element of the list. For non-empty lists, the element indicated by first must exist or first must indicate before the start of the list. If last is less than first, then any specified elements will be inserted into the list at the point specified by first with no elements being deleted. The element arguments specify zero or more new arguments to be added to the list in place of those that were deleted. Each element argu- ment will become a separate element of the list. If no element arguments are specified, then the elements between first and last are sim- ply deleted. If list is empty, any element arguments are added to the end of the list. EXAMPLES
Replacing an element of a list with another: % lreplace {a b c d e} 1 1 foo a foo c d e Replacing two elements of a list with three: % lreplace {a b c d e} 1 2 three more elements a three more elements d e Deleting the last element from a list in a variable: % set var {a b c d e} a b c d e % set var [lreplace $var end end] a b c d A procedure to delete a given element from a list: proc lremove {listVariable value} { upvar 1 $listVariable var set idx [lsearch -exact $var $value] set var [lreplace $var $idx $idx] } SEE ALSO
list(n), lappend(n), lindex(n), linsert(n), llength(n), lsearch(n), lset(n), lrange(n), lsort(n), string(n) | KEYWORDS
element, list, replace Tcl 7.4 lreplace(n)