Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: text processing ( sed/awk)
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting text processing ( sed/awk) Post 302171662 by vino on Friday 29th of February 2008 06:46:04 AM
Old 02-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchal_khare
hi vino...
yes i knw what u told....

the output ( stdout ) is unchanaged...
have u tested ur command.. ?
Code:
[/tmp]$ cat t
abcdefghijklmopqrstuvwxyz
[/tmp]$ sed -e "s/.\{4\}/&\n/g" t
abcd
efgh
ijkl
mopq
rstu
vwxy
z
[/tmp]$

Try
Code:
sed -e "s/.\{4\}/&\\n/g" t

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

processing a file with sed and awk

Hello, I have what is probably a simple task in text manipulation, but I just can't wrap my brain around it. I have a text file that looks something like the following. Note that some have middle initials in the first field and some don't. john.r.smith:john.smith@yahoo.com... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manouche
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preparing LaTeX files using Sed/AWK for processing with latex2html

As the title states, my issue involves preparing LaTeX documents for processing with latex2html. Within my LaTeX docs I have used a package which allows me to cleanly display source code listings. However the package is not supported by latex2html which, when processed, does not display the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oski
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, perl Script for processing a single line text file

I need a script to process a huge single line text file: The sample of the text is: "forward_inline_item": "Inline", "options_region_Australia": "Australia", "server_event_err_msg": "There was an error attempting to save", "Token": "Yes", "family": "Family","pwd_login_tab": "Enter Your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hmsadiq
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

text transformation with sed or awk

Hi there, I'm trying to extract automatically opening hours from a website. The page displaying the schedules is http://www.natureetdecouvertes.com/pages/gener/view_FO_STORE_corgen.asp?mag_cod=xxx with xxx going from 101 to 174 I managed to get the following output : le lundi de 10.30 à... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk text processing

Hi Very much appreciate if somebody could give me a clue .. I undestand that it could be done with awk but have a limited experience. I have the following text in the file 1 909 YES NO 2 500 No NO . ... 1 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
8 Replies

6. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text processing using awk

I dispose of two tab-delimited files (the first column is the primary key): File 1 (there are multiple rows sharing the same key, I cannot merge them) A 28,29,30,31 A 17,18,19 B 11,13,14,15 B 8,9File 2 (there is one only row beginning with a given key) A 2,8,18,30,31 B ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovah
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text columns processing using awk

P { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }CODE.cjk { font-family: "WenQuanYi Micro Hei",monospace; }CODE.ctl { font-family: "Lohit Hindi",monospace; }A:link { } I'm trying to build an awk statement to print from a file (file1): A 1,2,3 * A 4,5,6 ** B 1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovah
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text replacement with awk or sed?

Hi guys, I worked for almost a half-day for the replacement of some text automatically with script. But no success. The problem is I have hundred of files, which need to be replaced with some new text. It's a painful work to work manually and it's so easy to do it wrong. For example, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for text processing

Hi,my file is in this format ", \"symbol\": \"Rbm38\" } ]" I want to convert it to a more user readable format _id pubmed text symbol 67196 18667844 Overexpression of UBE2T in NIH3T3 cells significantly promoted colony formation in mouse cell cultures Ube2t 56190 21764855 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: biofreek
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)