Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk/sed/ksh script to cleanup /etc/group file Post 302171159 by pdtak on Wednesday 27th of February 2008 06:17:41 PM
Old 02-27-2008
One more thing...

Thank you for everything... but I forgot to mention that I need to get rid of only users that starts with a alpha character followed by 4 digits (ie. A9999).
Can you do this with awk or do I have to use ksh?
Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed Command : Parse parameter file / send the lines to the ksh export command

Sorry for the duplicate thread this one is similar to the one in https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/88132-awk-sed-script-read-values-parameter-files.html#post302255121 Since there were no responses on the parent thread since it got resolved partially i thought to open the new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with ksh/awk/sed script, random # of fields

Hello all, I'm working on an attendance callout script for a school district. I need to change our current layout for the vendor. Currently the data is in the form of: studentid,period,building, Heres a sample of some made up records: 500,1,30, 500,2,30, 500,3,30, 500,6,30,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP! Group by in shell script (awk/sed?)

Hello, Could some expert soul please help me with this? I have following file format - task time abc 5 xyz 4 abc 5 xyz 3 ddd 10 ddd 2 I need to generate output as - task ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sncoupons
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK or KSH : Sort, Group and extract from 3 files

Hi, I've the following two CSV files: File1.csv File2.csv Class,Student# Student#,Marks 1001,6001 6002,50 1001,6002 6001,60 1002,7000 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Matrix2682
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH to group records in a file and compare it with another file

Hi, I've a file like below: DeptFile.csv DeptID EmpID ------- ------ Dep01 Emp01 Dep01 Emp02 Dep01 Emp03 Dep02 Emp04 Dep02 Emp05 I've another file which has EmpFile.csv EmpID Salary ------ ------ (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Matrix2682
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail cleanup from ksh script, keeping 50 most recent msgs

I found some posts describing how to completely clean out a mailbox in Unix/Linux. But I want to keep the 50 most recent messages. Any ideas out there? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: OPTIMUS_prime
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have to learn sed and awk commands in kSH?

Links Please??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diddy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: substitution character, AWK or SED?

Hi Gurus, I am working with a korn shell script. I should replace in a very great file the character ";" with a space. Example: 2750;~ 2734;~ 2778;~ 2751;~ 2751;~ 2752;~ what the fastest method is? Sed? Awk? Speed is dead main point, Seen the dimensions of the files Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: GERMANICO
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pick a group of data using awk/ksh

Hi gurus, I have data coming in as shown below. And in each case, I need to pick the data in the last group as shown below. Data Set 1: DC | 18161621 LA | 15730880 NY | 16143237 DC | 18161621 LA | 17316397 NY | 17915905 DC | 18161621 LA | 17993534 NY | 18161621 DC | 18161621... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: calredd
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using sed to change file into an awk script

Hi I want to use sed to change a text files input into an awk script. For example if the input says " chord -- english " I want to change this using sed 's/pattern 1 /pattern 2 /'g filename but I don't understand how to use part of the pattern 1 to input that into pattern 2 . Like after... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: enforcer
10 Replies
ISWALPHA(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       ISWALPHA(3)

NAME
iswalpha - test for alphabetic wide character SYNOPSIS
#include <wctype.h> int iswalpha(wint_t wc); DESCRIPTION
The iswalpha() function is the wide-character equivalent of the isalpha(3) function. It tests whether wc is a wide character belonging to the wide-character class "alpha". The wide-character class "alpha" is a subclass of the wide-character class "alnum", and therefore also a subclass of the wide-character class "graph" and of the wide-character class "print". Being a subclass of the wide-character class "print", the wide-character class "alpha" is disjoint from the wide-character class "cntrl". Being a subclass of the wide-character class "graph", the wide-character class "alpha" is disjoint from the wide-character class "space" and its subclass "blank". Being a subclass of the wide-character class "alnum", the wide-character class "alpha" is disjoint from the wide-character class "punct". The wide-character class "alpha" is disjoint from the wide-character class "digit". The wide-character class "alpha" contains the wide-character classes "upper" and "lower". The wide-character class "alpha" always contains at least the letters 'A' to 'Z' and 'a' to 'z'. RETURN VALUE
The iswalpha() function returns nonzero if wc is a wide character belonging to the wide-character class "alpha". Otherwise, it returns zero. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +-----------+---------------+----------------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +-----------+---------------+----------------+ |iswalpha() | Thread safety | MT-Safe locale | +-----------+---------------+----------------+ CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008, C99. NOTES
The behavior of iswalpha() depends on the LC_CTYPE category of the current locale. SEE ALSO
isalpha(3), iswctype(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2015-08-08 ISWALPHA(3)