Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grepping issue..
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grepping issue.. Post 302171129 by joeyg on Wednesday 27th of February 2008 03:53:43 PM
Old 02-27-2008
Question want to see an intermediate file

Rather than my trying to re-create your scenario, you are determining the number of each disk size from "vxdisk_avail_$SIZE.txt".
Can you post this file from your run? My thinking is to do something with a cut based on -d":" and then a numeric comparison.
But, I cannot work through all of the logic in my head.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping

Is there a way to grep for something and then print out 10 lines after it. for example if I want to grep for a word, then output the following 10 or whatever number of lines after the word. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping for a sentence

Can you grep for a sentence. I have to search logs everyday at work and I was wondering if I could search for a string of words instead of just one. for example, if I had to find this sentence: "Received HTTP message type" How would I grep it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grepping around

Using shell scripts, I use grep to find the word “error” in a log file: grep error this.log. How can I print or get the line 3 lines below the line that word “error” is located? Thanks in advance for your response. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbeauty
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help on grepping

Hi All, I have a log file and I want to parse the logfile with a script.A sample text is shown below: I would grep on "return code " on this file. Any idea how the lines above and below the grep patterns could also be extracted. Thanks! nua7 The runLoggingInstall return code is 0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with grepping within variables

I've got a script at the moment that looks like this: if then echo "How many hours would you like users to have logged in for? (single digits)" read hours tim= echo "These are the users who were logged in for $hours... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chris_rabz
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping a variable

I need to pass a parameter that will then be grepped. I need it to grep /paramater and then have a space so if 123 was passed my grep would be grep '/123 ' sample.log this works fine from the command line but when i try and set it searchThis="/$2 " and then run grep $searchThis... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnia
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grepping by digit

Hi all, Need your help here. I have a file with thousand of lines, as shown in example below KDKJAA 98324 OIDSAJ 324 KJAJAK 100 KJKAJK 89 JOIJOI 21 JDKDJL 12 UOIUOD 10 UDUYDS 8 UIUHKK 6 I would like to grep using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterpiece
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grepping using -w and dashes (-)

I have a script to sort a list of arbitrary hosts and determine if they are supported by grepping them into a master supported list. I cut all the suffixes of the hosts in the arbitrary list, leaving the "short" hostname if you will, then grep -w them into the master list. For example: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaindotC
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping more than one word

Dear Experts, Need your help. Typically we use "grep" to search and display a pattern in a txt file. However, here what we want is, we want to grep a line which contains 4 words any where in a line. For example. File has 10,000,000 lines in it out of which there is a particular line which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance issue in Grepping large files

I have around 300 files(*.rdf,*.fmb,*.pll,*.ctl,*.sh,*.sql,*.prog) which are of large size. Around 8000 keywords(which will be in the file $keywordfile) needed to be searched inside those files. If a keyword is found in a file..I have to insert the filename,extension,catagoery,keyword,occurrence... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
8 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specified size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=RFILE base size on RFILE -s, --size=SIZE set or adjust the file size by SIZE bytes --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The SIZE argument is an integer and optional unit (example: 10K is 10*1024). Units are K,M,G,T,P,E,Z,Y (powers of 1024) or KB,MB,... (pow- ers of 1000). SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: '+' extend by, '-' reduce by, '<' at most, '>' at least, '/' round down to multiple of, '%' round up to multiple of. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report truncate translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/truncate> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) truncate invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TRUNCATE(1)