Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help me streamline this counting part of my script. Post 302170724 by joeyg on Tuesday 26th of February 2008 02:45:33 PM
Old 02-26-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver Limits only by the mask values

Code:
#         printf "%.2d \n" $CURRENT
         printf "%.2d \n" $CURRENT >>count.txt
         lv_val=$(printf "%.2d" $CURRENT)

The %.2d says to format for two digits, thus can allocate from device _02 to _99. If you want to be able to go past this, simply change the script to %.3d before you execute. (Your example seemed to skip over the possibility of a _01 device.)
However, I would find it unusual to think you would be configuring more than 99 devices.

Before implementing this or any other suggestions, strongly recommend 'trial runs' where you do not execute the commands, but display/print the commands you are about to run.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting in shell script

hi i am writing a korn shell script to compile all programs there are arount 2000+ files now i have a script that can compile programs but i want to show status of compilation because to compile all programs it takes around 10-15 mins so how can i display status like it should print no of files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Streamline script to search for numbers in a certain range

Hello all, I need help making a script run faster since I have a huge file to sift through. The file I am running my script on looks like this: 1 -1.9E+001 -1.8E-001 1.5E+001 3.32E+001 2 -1.7E+001 -1.0E-002 1.2E+001 6.37E+001 3 -1.5E+001 -3.8E-006 6.7E+001 4.81E+001 The... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: butson
12 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)