Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting adding spaces for a variable value Post 302170605 by dnat on Tuesday 26th of February 2008 04:32:46 AM
Old 02-26-2008
Thanks a lot. This solved my problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding Trailing Spaces to a file

I have a text file which is not fixed width. I want to put trailing spaces to each line and make it a 100 byte fixed width file. Can someone please help me as soon as possible? Thanks, Denis (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 222001459
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable containing spaces

Hi, my var is: PATH_LOG=/opt/WebSphere/CR Comune Roma.log a filename which contains blank chars. How can I call it from prompt ? Ex: ls $PATH_LOG or cat $PATH_LOG tks, Carmen- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carmen123
2 Replies

4. Programming

Removing empty spaces and adding commas

I have a file which contains numbers as follows: 1234 9876 6789 5677 3452 9087 4562 1367 2678 7891 I need to remove the empty spaces and add commas between the numbers like: 1234,9876,6789,5677,3452, 9087,4562,1367,2678,7891 Can anyone tell me the command to do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding spaces to a line

Is there any command to add spaces to a lline....say i need 50 spaces between the data like "aaabbbccc dddeeefff" or may be like this "aaaabbbbbbcccccdddddeeeffff " your help is appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding spaces to record

Hi, I want to print spaces in a trailer record which is a single command. namely the unix command which i already have recs=`wc -l $TargetFileDir/myfile.txt|cut -c1-9`;export recs;echo 'PCPC.DXDINPT.FC0.INPUTFLE.PASS'`date +%Y%m%d``printf '%015d\n' $recs` >> $TargetFileDir/myfile1.txt I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvenkat010
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding character to spaces in a table

Hi All, I am trying to get the spaces in the below table to be fill up with a character " - ". For eg, coordinates 0202 is a space but i would want to fill up with " - ". Can anybody help ? Input: 04 D H ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk adding spaces.

I have a file that contains... elm,mail elm,lisp,composer,cd,ls,cd,ls,cd,ls,zcat,|,tar,-xvf,ls,cd,ls,cd,ls,vi,ls,cd,ls,vi,elm,-f,ls,rm,ls,cd,ls,vi,vi,ls,vi,ls,cd,ls,elm,cd,ls,cd,ls,vi,vi,vi,ls,vi,ls,i,vi,ls,cp,cd,fg,ls,rm,cd,ls,-l,exit elm,mail,biff,elm,biff,elm,elm elm,ls ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail with cat adding extra spaces in email body

when I try to read a file and send email using cat and sendmail: The email received having additional spaces.(Between the letters of words in the text) My code: export MAILTO="sa@y.com" export SUBJECT="mydomain PREPROD MONITOR AT ${DATE}" export... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: visitsany
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add spaces to variable

Hi, I'm passing a variable to a scrpit which can be 1 to 3 characters long. How can I force it to be three character long and add spaces to it? The passed variable is stored in $1 and I would like to be stored in NewName I tried without success NewName=$(printf "%*s 3 $1) So if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
2 Replies
pr(1)							      General Commands Manual							     pr(1)

Name
       pr - print files

Syntax
       pr [ options ] [ files ]

Description
       The  command  prints  the  named files on the standard output.  If file is designated by a minus sign (-), or if no files are specified the
       command assumes standard input.	By default, the listing is separated into pages, each headed by the page number, a date and time, and  the
       name of the file.

By default, columns are of equal width, separated by at least one space.  Lines that do not fit are truncated. However, if the -s option is
       used, lines are not truncated and columns are separated by the separation character.

If the standard output is associated with a terminal, error messages are withheld until has finished printing.

Options
       The following options can be used singly or in combination:

-a      Prints multi-column output across the page.

-b      Prints blank headers.

-d      Double-spaces the output.

-eck    Expands input tabs to character positions k+1, 2*k+1, 3*k+1,... n*k+1.  If k is 0 or is omitted, tabs are set at every eighth posi-
	       tion.  Tab characters in the input are expanded into the appropriate number of spaces.  The default for c (any non-digit character)
	       is the tab character; therefore, if c is given, it is treated as the input tab character.

-f      Uses form-feed character for new pages.	The default is to use a sequence of line-feeds.  The -f option causes the command to pause
	       before beginning the first page if the standard output is associated with a terminal.

-h      Uses the next argument as the header to be printed instead of the file name.

-ick    Replaces  white space in output by inserting tabs to character positions k+1, 2*k+1, 3*k+1,...n*k+1.  If k is 0 or is omitted, tabs
	       are set at every eighth position.  The default for c (any non-digit character) is the tab character; therefore, if c is	given,	it
	       is treated as the input tab character.

+k      Begins printing with page k (default is 1).

-k      Produces k-column output (default is 1).  The -e and -i options are assumed for multi-column output.

-lk     Sets the length of a page to k lines.  The default is 66 lines.

-m      Merges and prints all files simultaneously, one per column (overrides the -k, and -a options).

-nck    Numbers	lines.	The default for k is 20.  The number occupies the first k+1 character positions of each column of normal output or
	       each line of -m output.	If c, which is any non-digit character is given, it is appended to the line number  to	separate  it  from
	       whatever follows.  The default for c is a tab.

-ok     Offsets	each line by k character positions (default is 0).  The number of character positions per line is the sum of the width and
	       offset.

-p      Pauses before beginning each page if the output is directed to a terminal.  The command rings the bell at the terminal and awaits a
	       carriage return.

-r      Suppresses diagnostic reports on failure to open files.

-sc     Separates columns by the single character c instead of by the appropriate number of spaces (default for c is a tab).

-t      Suppresses  the	five-line  identifying header and the five-line trailer normally supplied for each page.  The -t option causes the
	       command to quit printing after the last line of each file without spacing to the end of the page.

-wk     Sets the width of a line to k character positions.  The default is 72 for equal-width multi-column output; otherwise  there  is	no
	       limit.

Examples
       Print file1 and file2 as a double-spaced, three-column listing with the heading:  file list.
       pr -3dh "file list" file1 file2
       Write file1 on file2, expanding tabs to columns 10, 19, 28, 37,...:
       pr -e9 -t <file1>file2

Files
       /dev/tty* to suspend messages

See Also
       cat(1)

pr(1)