Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is it possible to write a script to reset user's password? Post 302170508 by nj78 on Monday 25th of February 2008 08:55:24 PM
Old 02-25-2008
You may want to check out NIS.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Looking for a script to reset password

All, I have a Solaris 9 system and I would like to create a script that would reset the password of a local user to something specific on a daily basis. Someone suggested the following: passwd --stdin username < passwd_file However, this doesn't work on Solaris. Does anyone know of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
3 Replies

2. Solaris

unable to reset user password

hi, i am unable to reset one of my server user password. whenever i make a "passwd username" i get the following error ======================================== New Password: Re-enter new Password: Permission denied ======================================== please advise.thanks... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
6 Replies

3. Solaris

LDAP user password reset script

Hey all, I'm looking for a script to auto-generate a password for users that forget their password. Currently, we are using a perl script (with cgi-bin) where users update their password, but would like to add to this and make it so that the users can also request a password reset and a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: em23
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to write script to send an email for password reset.

Hi all, Please suggest I want to write a scritp which will send a email to my mail address before the time duration of the password reset, Should write mail stating that your password will expire in so and so days"" Rgds:b: Ann. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Haque123
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Remote Reset Password for User ?

Hello, everyone i have a little scenario and would like help , SCENARIO OS : SunOS 5.10 Shell: KSH UserName 1 connects to Server1 .He should run a little command or somthing to server2 that Resets the password of user2. i have tried this : ssh user@server2 '/usr/local/bin/sudo passwd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shatztal
0 Replies

6. Solaris

how to Remote Reset Password for User ?

Hello, everyone i have a little scenario and would like help , SCENARIO OS : SunOS 5.10 Shell: KSH UserName 1 connects to Server1 .He should run a little command or somthing to server2 that Resets the password of user2. i have tried this : ssh user@server2 '/usr/local/bin/sudo passwd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shatztal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password reset script

Hi all, I am using an command which reset the password for the user, its working fine on Solaris boxes but sometimes the samw was not happening on some of linux boxes. /bin/echo username | passwd --stdin username I am new to unix and shell scripting,so it would be very helpful for me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudharson
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need to write a script user.sh that parses name & password

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a script called user.sh that parses the name and password of given in a file (user.txt) and creates the user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nygenesis
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

User password reset

Hello - I want to reset user password in multiple server via root ID. I have passwordless authentication for root between all the servers. I an use loop to reset the password. I am using below command in loop echo mypassword | passwd username --stdin However, if anyone sees history - he... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Giving password reset access to non-root user, in LDAP

Hi, We have two LDAP servers. Whenever we get a ticket to reset the password, we login to LDAP primary server and reset the password. For below example, I logged into primary LDAP server and resetting password to john to Welcome123# We are giving this work to tier-1 team, so that they can reset... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ron323232
1 Replies
ypwhich(1)							   User Commands							ypwhich(1)

NAME
ypwhich - return name of NIS server or map master SYNOPSIS
ypwhich [-d domain] [ [-t] -m [mname] | [-Vn] hostname] ypwhich -x DESCRIPTION
ypwhich returns the name of the NIS server that supplies the NIS name services to a NIS client, or which is the master for a map. If invoked without arguments, it gives the NIS server for the local machine. If hostname is specified, that machine is queried to find out which NIS master it is using. Refer to ypfiles(4) for an overview of the NIS name services. OPTIONS
-d domain Use domain instead of the default domain. -t This option inhibits map nickname translation. -m mname Find the master NIS server for a map. No hostname can be specified with -m. mname can be a mapname, or a nickname for a map. When mname is omitted, produce a list of available maps. -x Display the map nickname translation table. -Vn Version of ypbind, V3 is default. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ypfiles(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 7 Apr 1995 ypwhich(1)