Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Left filled with zeros
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Left filled with zeros Post 302170290 by fpmurphy on Monday 25th of February 2008 05:23:59 AM
Old 02-25-2008
Here is an example of one way to do it:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh

tmp=file.$$

cat <<EOT >$tmp
EOT

awk '{ printf "%03d\n", $1 }' $tmp

rm $tmp
exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

'tar -xvf' command filled up /dev/root

On a newly configured hp unix server, I got the following error while I was trying to untar a file: tar -xvf 9201rdbms.tar .... /htc_ora_prod/stage9.2.0_64bit/Disk2/stage/Components/oracle.rdbms.seeddb.compoltp/9.2.0.1.0/1/DataFiles/Expanded/seed/templates/Transaction_Processing.dfj, 174282115... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YuChing
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leading zeros

How to insert leading zeros into a left-justisfied zip code? e.g. Zip code is written as 60320 which is left-justified to make it be read as 0060320. We have to move it to right-justifiable then insert 2 leading zeros into it... ;) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wtofu
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pad Zeros

Hi can I know command to pad Zeros to a value I get 16 and I need to send 0000000016 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

trimming zeros

Hi, I want to trim +with leading zero's with amount fields.I know using awk for trimming leading zeros with +,but I want get the entire row itself. cat file_name |awk -F " " '{printf "%14.4f%f\n",$4}' ex: 10 xyz bc +00000234.4500 20 yzx foxic +002456.000 Expexted 10 xyz bc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan705
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read space filled file and replace text at specific position

Hi I have a spaced filled file having records like below: What I want is to read line having RT3 at position 17-19 then go to position 2651 check the 18 characters (might be space filled till 18 characters). This position should have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: COD
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Padding with zeros.

Hi Friends, I would like to left pad with "0's" on first column say (width six) I have a large file with the format: FILE: 1: ALFRED 84378 NY 8385: JAMES 88385 FL 323: SMITH 00850 TX My output needs to be like: 000001: ALFRED 84378 NY 008385: JAMES 88385 FL 000323: SMITH... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
10 Replies

7. AIX

Check that memory page is filled by zeros when a process gets it in first time

I have to check whether AIX fills physical memory pages by zeros when they are given for a new process (or may be when they are freed from an address space, but it's hardly probable). In other words when a process gets a new memory page, this one must be cleaned. I've solved this issue for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sokolovm
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris full /tmp - du and df different swap NOT filled

Hello all, The issue is # df -h /tmp Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on swap 4.0G 4.0G 8.7M 100% /tmp # du -sh /tmp/ 87M /tmp By now you probably will say that this is open file destriptor issue. Well no, nothing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: click
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pad Zeros at the end

I have number/strings like below input =23412133 output = 234121330000 (depends on the number give at runtime) i need to padd zeros based on runtime input . i tried below printf ' %d%04d\n', "23412133"; But the precision 4 is static here how can i pass this as runtime input. i am... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter filled variable to a script.

Say I have something like this to try and build a parameter string: OPT1="This is my Option"; OPT2="/folder/file"; PARMS="-u me -J \"$OPT1\" -g \"$OPT2\""; ./script.ksh -n 1 $PARMS; ./script.ksh -n 2 $PARMS; ./script.ksh -n 3 $PARMS; ./script.ksh -n 4 $PARMS; But this doesn't work. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
2 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)