Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Probably an easy AIX-SMIT question with mkroute Post 302170146 by bakunin on Sunday 24th of February 2008 02:56:34 PM
Old 02-24-2008
Quote:
AIX- a good point, but to save myself from the wrath of Geek agression, I placed myself in the "Dummy forum".
Even when we use IBMs Unix we bite only rarely. ;-)

If you do that on a (or even several) production machine(s): Please try the procedure on a test machine before using it!

I really hate to damage my reputation but: i make errors. (Letting pass my carreer actually a lot of them: it is called professional experience.) So please: don't take my word without testing what i say. If you want to destroy a lot of machines with a single error please do not rely on me to provide it - make your own ones.

Regarding the "cmd_to_exec()" function out of SMIT: you don't even have to understand what it does. Copy the whole function into a file (the content of a function is - like in C - everything from "{" to "}") and the line with the function call below it. Then save the file, issue a "chmod 755 <filename>" and you have a ready-to-go script you can use on all of your machines.

Again: test it first before you go over the productive machines. SMIT is written by guys like me and they make errors too (but they bite rarely).

I hope this helps and all the best for your change.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy question

I know the Sun Solaries versions are ( 2.3 , 2.4 , 2.5 ... 7 , 8 ) . But some times I see sun os v5.x what does it mean ?? also what is the last new machine for sun and what are its details specifications . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another easy question

Hello Again, Ok guys. Thanks again for your help last time but I am in need of your experience again. I wrote this script: #!/bin/sh # List either files or directories in individual accounts # using 1, 2 or 3 with invalid case $1 in echo select 1 to see the FILES in your... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catbad
3 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

AIX Smit menu designer. WinSmit

Hi, Please excuse me for posting an "ad" message here. Over the last few months I have created software called WinSmit, with this tool you can create your own AIX smit menus and corresponding message files. We all know the smit or smitty menus that IBM provides to maintain the system, the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mimyrtek
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hopefully an Easy Question

I have a file name in this format ABC_WIRE_TRANS_YYYYMMDD_00.DAT I need to cut out the _00 out of the file name everytime. It could be _00, _01,_02, etc .... How do I cut it out to look as follows? ABC_WIRE_TRANS_YYYYMMDD.DAT (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy question

Hi everybody: Could anybody tell me if I have several files which each one it has this pattern name: name1.dat name2.dat name3.dat name4.dat name10.dat name11.dat name30.dat If I would like create one like: name_total.dat If I do: paste name*.dat > name_total.dat (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
15 Replies

6. AIX

Probably an easy SMIT question- "Unable to open temp file"

Hi All, Can't find any documentation on the web for this anywhere, except about three web pages that are in Chinese. When I enter SMIT on this box, I get ERROR MESSAGE: Unable to open temp file I suspected smit.log, but it is universal readable, writeable by root, and I am root.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffpas
6 Replies

7. Solaris

SMIT i AIX Sun Solaris ?

i now when i want use the smit in AIX is possible but a ask if you has in sun same job in sun tel me please awating supports (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yalmalki
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using expect script with AIX's SMIT in cron

My searches turned up nothing relevant, so I apologize if this has already been looked at. I am trying to run an expect script from a Solaris machine, that ssh's into an AIX machine, and interacts with a SMIT created menu system that runs a few backups for me. The expect script runs fine when... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mariognarly
0 Replies

9. AIX

How do I killed ideal users from AIX 5.3 smit?

Hi, I'm newbee to AIX and would like to setup a process which kills 1 Hr. ideal users from smit. Please advise for making it work. :) Thanks, Sumit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit30
2 Replies

10. AIX

AIX 5.3 Using sudo to control smit

Does anyone have any experience using sudo to control smit on AIX 5.3? These are the smit commands that I want certain users to execute: # Cmnd alias specification Cmnd_Alias SMIT = /bin/smit hacmp, \ /bin/smit pxdam, \ /bin/smit cl_lsuser, \ /bin/smit cl_users, \ /bin/smit cl_passwd ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tharrieswk
5 Replies
rwho(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   rwho(1)

NAME
rwho - show who is logged in on local machines SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
produces output similar to the output of the HP-UX command for all machines on the local network that are running the daemon (see who(1) and rwhod(1M)). If has not received a report from a machine for 11 minutes, assumes the machine is down and does not report users last known to be logged into that machine. output line has fields for the name of the user, the name of the machine, the user's terminal line, the time the user logged in, and the amount of time the user has been idle. Idle time is shown as: If a user has not typed to the system for a minute or more, reports this as idle time. If a user has not typed to the system for an hour or more, the user is omitted from output unless the flag is given. An example output line from would look similar to: This output line could be interpreted as is logged into and his terminal line is has been logged on since September 12 at 13:28 (1:28 p.m.). has not typed anything into for 11 minutes. WARNINGS
output becomes unwieldy when the number of users for each machine on the local network running becomes large. One line of output occurs for each user on each machine on the local network that is running AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
Information about other machines. SEE ALSO
ruptime(1), rusers(1), rwhod(1M). rwho(1)