Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Noob, wat do i need etc
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix Noob, wat do i need etc Post 302170083 by skylin3fr3ak on Sunday 24th of February 2008 08:54:16 AM
Old 02-24-2008
Unix Noob, wat do i need etc

Hey everyone

I am currently starting University, (Aus) and i am required to study Unix as apart of my study. We have gone through the basics in orientation but here at home they said i can access my files through the 'ssh' command.

All i need to know is:

- How will my wireless internet be used on Unix ?
- Can i install Unix on a basic system, e.g, PIII, 512mb SD RAM, 30GB HDD ETC.
- Will i need Unix drivers for the hardware i am installing it on ?

Currently i don't want to use it on my Core 2 setup as i believe it is too powerful, so im buying a cheap $80(AU)< system off ebay.

any help would be nice, (University said they can supply unix).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

KDE & Gnome, wat is the difference?

i have been reading some atticles but i still do not understand the diferrence btw KDE & Gnome. Someone once told me he prefers Gnome to KDE 'coz of it's audio support & Redhat says ver 7.3 has KDE 3.0 & Gnome 1.4. So could someone explain? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: da_gee
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Noob learning Unix: backup commands

I am trying to learn some unix here and i have some question that i would like to ask: What's the most basic backup command? What is the command to pause a backup? What is the command to resume backup? Can we backup a job that is running ? How can we pause the backup of the job and than... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lotusx
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

wat is the command to view the cpu utilization ? nothing works !!!!

hi ! i m in AIX box. i wanna chk the overall CPU utilization : in % . wat command i can try ? i m already done with Vmstat : giving some output iostat : not working (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingme8705
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am a unix noob

Hello i am new to this forum. I signed up here really to ask one question. I recentaly got a old unix server from my work and i never really understood what unix is or what is does. Dont get me wrong i and very smart with computers as long as its windows, mac, or linux i can use them all but i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alt+f4
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

wat is execute permission denied???

hi, i have a problem and is needed by next week. when i need to run a program at the specified time using the crontab, after that the program which will send a messege to the screen using the say command, which will show "Hello" but there is an error when i run it, in the mail it show that ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckng
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Noob

Hi all, I am trying to write a shell script that will move files from one directory to another, the only thing is I want to to check loads of different source directory and move the files to loads of different directories. I am totally new to shell scripts but not to UNIX (although I would... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sax
16 Replies

7. AIX

do u know wat it ll cause?

hi all, if the error log was fully touched(made it to zero byte) then wat ll happen????? is the new error log ll printed here????? I think it may not..... please share your thoughts........ regards, rr (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrlog
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

complete unix noob (sorry)

This is my first time in this forum so, Hello to all!!! I have been supporting windows based machines for a few years now and I have been writing batch files to do certain tasks for what seems like an age. I've recently started a new job (as it support) and my new colleagues have said,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blastman
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix noob help with awk?

Hi I'm really new to this so sorry if this is trivial What I'm trying to do is take a file with 3 columns of numbers and cat all the entries of the second and third columns which have the same entry in the first column into a file with the number from the first column in the name. So say 1... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: AnnaLynn
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Noob on Unix.

This may seem really easy to alot of you but i am a real noob on unix. I have been set the task to make a script which will answer a query. Basically I will have made files for people and i want to be able to search for a persons file and then select certain variables from the files. e.g... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobtheb
7 Replies
MACUTIL(1)						      General Commands Manual							MACUTIL(1)

NAME
macutil - A package that deals with MacIntosh files on a Unix system DESCRIPTION
macutil is a package that contains a number of utilities that deal with MacIntosh files on a Unix system. It contains the following pro- grams: binhex Convert files to BinHex 4.0 compatible hexified form. frommac Receives files from the MacIntosh on the Unix system. hexbin Convert hexified files to their MacIntosh format. macsave Save a series of files from a MacBinary stream as individual files. macstream Combine a series of files to a MacBinary stream. macunpack Unpack a MacIntosh archive into its constituents. tomac Transmits files from the Unix system to a MacIntosh. BUGS
This manual page is hopelessly incomplete! SEE ALSO
binhex(1), frommac(1), hexbin(1), macsave(1), macstream(1), macunpack(1), tomac(1) AUTHOR
Dik T. Winter, CWI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (dik@cwi.nl) 3rd Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1992 MACUTIL(1)