Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Probably an easy AIX-SMIT question with mkroute Post 302170056 by jeffpas on Saturday 23rd of February 2008 11:55:09 PM
Old 02-24-2008
Probably an easy AIX-SMIT question with mkroute

Hi All,

I am on a project and logging into about 100 servers one at a time. One of the steps I am performing is setting up a link with smit mkroute. I am using AIX versions 5.2 and 5.3

Does anyone know a quick command line to set DESTINATION ADDRESS, GATEWAY address, Network MASK, and Network Interface automatically on the command line (the Interface is always 'en0' and the others I mentioned are always the same numbers, everything else is default) I found this:

ProQuest Information and Learning - 0738423777 - IBM eServer Certification Study Guide - pSeries AIX System Administration

Which shows how you can use the *route* command instead of SMIT.
But that example is from version 4, which doesn't have all the options. And if I hit F6 for "COMMAND", I get a complex script, and not a single command line.

I could put this line into a script and it would save me tons of time, instead of going in and retyping these #s over and over- looking all over the web, but I can't seem to find an example anywhere. It's probably an easy question if you are a networker, I am mostly a programmer. Thanks if anybody knows.Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy question

I know the Sun Solaries versions are ( 2.3 , 2.4 , 2.5 ... 7 , 8 ) . But some times I see sun os v5.x what does it mean ?? also what is the last new machine for sun and what are its details specifications . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another easy question

Hello Again, Ok guys. Thanks again for your help last time but I am in need of your experience again. I wrote this script: #!/bin/sh # List either files or directories in individual accounts # using 1, 2 or 3 with invalid case $1 in echo select 1 to see the FILES in your... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catbad
3 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

AIX Smit menu designer. WinSmit

Hi, Please excuse me for posting an "ad" message here. Over the last few months I have created software called WinSmit, with this tool you can create your own AIX smit menus and corresponding message files. We all know the smit or smitty menus that IBM provides to maintain the system, the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mimyrtek
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hopefully an Easy Question

I have a file name in this format ABC_WIRE_TRANS_YYYYMMDD_00.DAT I need to cut out the _00 out of the file name everytime. It could be _00, _01,_02, etc .... How do I cut it out to look as follows? ABC_WIRE_TRANS_YYYYMMDD.DAT (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy question

Hi everybody: Could anybody tell me if I have several files which each one it has this pattern name: name1.dat name2.dat name3.dat name4.dat name10.dat name11.dat name30.dat If I would like create one like: name_total.dat If I do: paste name*.dat > name_total.dat (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
15 Replies

6. AIX

Probably an easy SMIT question- "Unable to open temp file"

Hi All, Can't find any documentation on the web for this anywhere, except about three web pages that are in Chinese. When I enter SMIT on this box, I get ERROR MESSAGE: Unable to open temp file I suspected smit.log, but it is universal readable, writeable by root, and I am root.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffpas
6 Replies

7. Solaris

SMIT i AIX Sun Solaris ?

i now when i want use the smit in AIX is possible but a ask if you has in sun same job in sun tel me please awating supports (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yalmalki
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using expect script with AIX's SMIT in cron

My searches turned up nothing relevant, so I apologize if this has already been looked at. I am trying to run an expect script from a Solaris machine, that ssh's into an AIX machine, and interacts with a SMIT created menu system that runs a few backups for me. The expect script runs fine when... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mariognarly
0 Replies

9. AIX

How do I killed ideal users from AIX 5.3 smit?

Hi, I'm newbee to AIX and would like to setup a process which kills 1 Hr. ideal users from smit. Please advise for making it work. :) Thanks, Sumit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit30
2 Replies

10. AIX

AIX 5.3 Using sudo to control smit

Does anyone have any experience using sudo to control smit on AIX 5.3? These are the smit commands that I want certain users to execute: # Cmnd alias specification Cmnd_Alias SMIT = /bin/smit hacmp, \ /bin/smit pxdam, \ /bin/smit cl_lsuser, \ /bin/smit cl_users, \ /bin/smit cl_passwd ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tharrieswk
5 Replies
ypstart(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       ypstart(1M)

NAME
ypstart, ypstop - Start and stop NIS services SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/netsvc/yp/ypstart /usr/lib/netsvc/yp/ypstop DESCRIPTION
The ypstart command is used to start the Network Information Service (NIS). After the host has been configured using the ypinit(1M) com- mand, ypstart automatically determines the NIS status of the machine and starts the appropriate daemons. The ypstop command is used to stop the Network Information Service (NIS). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWypu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ypinit(1M), attributes(5) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration NOTES
The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Sun Yellow Pages (YP). The functionality of the two services remains the same; only the name has changed. The name Yellow Pages is a registered trademark in the United Kingdom of British Telecommunications PLC, and must not be used without permission. SunOS 5.10 24 Oct 1996 ypstart(1M)