Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need couple of ksh tricks please Post 302169997 by Perderabo on Saturday 23rd of February 2008 12:55:39 PM
Old 02-23-2008
vi commands work only if vi mode is on. I use emacs mode. You them them on with one of:
set -o vi
set -o emacs
But by default neither is on.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar tricks

Hello there, Is there anyway to make the tar utility print the contents of the files inside it (not list the files, but rather their contents) sequentially from the command line? What I ultimately would like to do is to have a way of printing the contents of each file in the tar archive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Set prompt, problems and tricks

I'm using a csh shell (or, that'd be my guess from the .cshrc file I see) and I'm looking to change my prompt. There are about 10 other threads, I know, but this question is a little more specific. I want to know, is there a way to list the current directory from a certain level or directory... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: HybridLogic
6 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Solaris tips and tricks

What do you think could we open new top topic with tips and tricks and to show to other users some tricks what do we know like dtrace , new virtual server , how to add new users etc. This is only suggestion (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed Tricks

I have a file which containd a string "old" and I need to replace all old with "new" if and only if it is a string not part of a string like Gold or fold etc. I tried with sed like below echo "old gold old" | sed 's/old/new/g' It doesn't give the desired output, It give "old Gnew new".... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Basic VI tricks

I found a decent guide of VI basic tricks. This guide does expect you to have a decent understanding of VI. It does not go over very much beginner related. vi Manual (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Vim tips and tricks

Vim Tips and Tricks Save and quit :w => Save :q => Exit as long as there have been no changes :q! => Exit and ignore any changes :wq => Save and Exit. :x => Exit, saving changes ZZ => Exit and save changes if any have been made :10,20w filename => writes the... (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
34 Replies
MAILCAP.ORDER(5)                                               Order Mailcap Entries                                              MAILCAP.ORDER(5)

NAME
/etc/mailcap.order - the mailcap ordering specifications DESCRIPTION
The order of entries in the /etc/mailcap file can be altered by editing the /etc/mailcap.order file. Each line of that file specifies a package and an optional mime type. Mailcap entries that match will be placed in the order of this file. Entries that don't match will be placed later. Example mime-support:*/* gv:application/postscript netscape:text/html less:text/* emacs:text/* The above would make any entries provided by the mime-support package (as found in the /usr/lib/mime/packages directory) take priority over everything else. The gv package will be used over anything else when it comes to postscript documents. Netscape will be used for any html documents and less will be used for any remaining text documents. However, since neither netscape or less provide for editing documents, any edit or compose actions will fall through to the emacs rules. After modifying this file, be sure to run /usr/sbin/update-mime (as root) to propagate the changes into the /etc/mailcap file. Remember that this files takes package names and not executable names. If you want to define rules that reference specific programs, the best way is to include them in ~/.mailcap or the user section of the /etc/mailcap file. LIMITATIONS
There is currently no way to break out a certain type from a wildcard rule. If, for example, both xv and gimp were to specify "image/*" rules, it isn't possible to use xv for gif images but use gimp for jpeg images. Also, I would like to add the ability to specify certain actions in the rules. For example, if netscape were to have an edit rule but I wanted to use emacs for editing/creating html documents, I could place a line like emacs:text/* action=edit|compose before the netscape entry. The update-mime program would then spit out entries such that netscape view rule comes before the emacs view rule but have the netscape edit rule comes after the emacs edit rule. SEE ALSO
mailcap(5) run-mailcap(1) update-mime(8) AUTHOR
The mailcap.order specification was written by Brian White <bcwhite@pobox.com> Debian Project 16th Aug 1998 MAILCAP.ORDER(5)