Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perform some checks on file using perl Post 302169789 by zedex on Friday 22nd of February 2008 02:01:10 PM
Old 02-22-2008
perform some checks on file using perl

hi

i want check for PVCS header in file if its present then check if its in proper format or not i want to do this is in perl on windows.

this is what i am doing :

1 . open file
2 . check for "PVCS information" if found then store the line no to $line var.
3 . check for "sccs" header
4 . if sccs header found then exit
5. close file
6 . if PVCS header found then call another subroutine with $line.
6.1 . again open the file skip lines till $line
6.2 . add 1 to $line and check for desired word
add 2 to $line and check for next word
6.3 . if header is in proper format then set a flag for each if statement and if all are set then return 0 or return 1 .
6.4 . close file.

now i am ready with small script for this ( which is in my office i will post it tomorrow ) but is there any better way of checking if PVCS header is in proper format or not ??

PVCS header sample :
Code:
     *** Start of PVCS information ***
     * $Workfile : 
     * $Author :
     * $Date :
     * $Log :

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Doing Checks on a file

I have a process that I am trying to provide a solution for and have hit a brick wall and would like some pointers in the right direction. Basically on a daily basis a report is automatically generated in a CSV format (FIRST.CSV) which includes codes and amounts in the following format: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SAMZ
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to perform checks line by line on a file

Hi, I have a file abc.txt with data like this 1 /test/ 2 /test/file.txt 3 /data/ 4 /data/file1.txt 5 /data/file2.txt I want to take out every path from the file and check if its a directory or file. I am trying it with cut with something like this but it doesnt work ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: muaz
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

speed test +20,000 file existance checks too slow

Need to make a very fast file existence checker. Passing in 20-50K num of files In the code below ${file} is a file with a listing of +20,000 files. test_speed is the script. I am commenting out the results of <time test_speed try>. The normal "test -f" is much much too slow when a system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nullwhat
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to perform record format checks

Hi All, I have a requirement to perform the following checks. Input file is a "|" delimited file and looks like this. A|c1|c2|c3|.... B|G1|G2|G3.... C|H1|H2|H3... A|c4|c5|c6|.... B|G4|G5|G6.... C|H4|H5|H6... Now the check is to see if all the "A" records have a corresponding B... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsjdrr
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script that checks against Future time

Ok, so this may be an unusual request. But I have a certificate that expires sometime in may of 2011. Now, i have to monitor this certificate and alert when the current time is within 30 days of may 20, 2011. #!/usr/bin/perl # use Time::Local; # $sec=59; $min=59; $hours=23; $day=31;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Daily File Checks

Hello all, I'm sorry if this is answered elsewhere, I've used the search function and can't find the specifics of what I'm after. I am brand new to playing with linux, and ideally I want to get better to help the company that I now work for. What I want to do: Create a script that I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perform Lookup File In Perl From One input File

Hi Perl Guru, I'm new to Perl Programming & need some help. I need to have some kind of similar code template so I can start to work on it. I'm been reading some forums and did not find anything that are similar so I start to work on it. I've been struggling on how to start it. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: devvvt168
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Read an array and write to another array with intial string pattern checks

I have an array and two variables as below, I need to check if $datevar is present in $filename. If so, i need to replace $filename with the values in the array. I need the output inside an ARRAY How can this be done. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perform an action if certain text exist in output (PERL)

Hello, I'm attempting to write a tool that checks an IP address for existing PTR records then if there are no PTR records does a ping to see if it response. Then if there is no response, it should print a message saying This is what I have so far. #!/usr/bin/perl $nxdomain =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartan22
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to perform File Functions?

I have a Student File (rno, name, marks1, marks2, marks3) How do I display a student with the highest percentage and with a percentage between 50-60. and how to sort students in ascending order as per their name (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ankit Saraogi
1 Replies
gzip(3) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   gzip(3)

NAME
PerlIO::gzip - Perl extension to provide a PerlIO layer to gzip/gunzip SYNOPSIS
use PerlIO::gzip; open FOO, "<:gzip", "file.gz" or die $!; print while <FOO>; # And it will be uncompressed... binmode FOO, ":gzip(none)" # Starts reading deflate stream from here on DESCRIPTION
PerlIO::gzip provides a PerlIO layer that manipulates files in the format used by the "gzip" program. Compression and Decompression are implemented, but not together. If you attempt to open a file for reading and writing the open will fail. EXPORT
PerlIO::gzip exports no subroutines or symbols, just a perl layer "gzip" LAYER ARGUMENTS
The "gzip" layer takes a comma separated list of arguments. 4 exclusive options choose the header checking mode: gzip The default. Expects a standard gzip file header for reading, writes a standard gzip file header. none Expects or writes no file header; assumes the file handle is immediately a deflate stream (eg as would be found inside a "zip" file) auto Potentially dangerous. If the first two bytes match the "gzip" header "x1fx8b" then a gzip header is assumed (and checked) else a deflate stream is assumed. No different from gzip on writing. autopop Potentially dangerous. If the first two bytes match the "gzip" header "x1fx8b" then a gzip header is assumed (and checked) else the layer is silently popped. This results in gzip files being transparently decompressed, other files being treated normally. Of course, this has sides effects such as File::Copy becoming gunzip, and File::Compare comparing the uncompressed contents of files. In autopop mode Opening a handle for writing (or reading and writing) will cause the gzip layer to automatically be popped. Optionally you can add this flag: lazy For reading, defer header checking until the first read. For writing, don't write a header until the first buffer empty of compressed data to disk. (and don't write anything at all if no data was written to the handle) By default, gzip header checking is done before the "open" (or "binmode") returns, so if an error is detected in the gzip header the "open" or "binmode" will fail. However, this will require reading some data, or writing a header. With lazy set on a file opened for reading the check is deferred until the first read so the "open" should always succeed, but any problems with the header will cause an error on read. open FOO, "<:gzip(lazy)", "file.gz" or die $!; # Dangerous. while (<FOO>) { print; } # Whoa. Bad. You're not distinguishing between errors and EOF. If you're not careful you won't spot the errors - like the example above you'll think you got end of file. lazy is ignored if you are in autopop mode. AUTHOR
Nicholas Clark, <nwc10+perlio-gzip@colon.colondot.net> SEE ALSO
perl, gzip, rfc 1952 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1952.txt> (the gzip file format specification), rfc 1951 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1951.txt> (DEFLATE compressed data format specification) perl v5.16.2 2006-10-01 gzip(3)