Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Open Source What is your favorite Linux distro? Post 302169641 by maverix on Thursday 21st of February 2008 11:09:41 PM
Old 02-22-2008
I voted for SuSe coz I am using it now. Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux distro

Hi I'm have old toshiba laptop(t1900) 486, 4mbRAM and ~120MB of hdd I'm looking for distro to suite my comp, no need for X windows but not enything that runs on FAT, just normal small Linux. Actually, *BSDs will do as well. If u know any distro that would do this I will be thankful for hint ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolk
4 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Post Your Favorite UNIX/Linux Related RSS Feed Links

Hello, I am planning to revise the RSS News subforum areas, here: News, Links, Events and Announcements - The UNIX Forums ... maybe with a subforum for each OS specific news, like HP-UX, Solaris, RedHat, OSX, etc. RSS subforums.... Please post your favorite OS specific RSS (RSS2) link... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to linux. Which distro should i use?

want to know which Linux distro is 4 me. want 2 teach my self programing and problem solving. i want to learn code and write code. i have an acer aspire one 2GB memory 160 GB HDD intel Atom. look im as noobie as it gets im a MS xp, vista boy want to go beyond graphical click and do... any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BizilStank
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

What's your favorite SSH client to connect to UNIX/Linux machines?

I am curious about the most popular ssh client on Windows environment. Talking about me, I use PuTTY most of the time coupled with WinSCP to transfer files. But, I like Tera Term too. It has great drag-drop feature where you can drag a file/folder and drop on the window and it will transfer the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
14 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

What's your all time favorite UNIX/Linux book?

I can bet everyone has their one favorite book even though we have had read many books on UNIX or Linux. My all time favorite is "Unix Power Tools". This book always made me geeky and I loved the little tricks/tips in the book. I still do! The next favorite would be "Prentice Hall Unix and Linux... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
0 Replies

6. Linux

Best Linux Distro

Hello, I have a Compaq Presario v3000 5 year old laptop, with 1 GB RAM and currently running the (slow and stupid) Windows 7 32 bit, thus I would like to dual boot it with an appropriate distro of Linux that 1) Doesnt consume too much resources (1 GB RAM is not a lot of space) and it ll be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
4 Replies

7. Linux

Favorite Synchronizers for Win & Linux

I'm looking for a new file/directory synchronizer. I've been using unison because it works on both windows and linux. However, it often chokes on the very long directory paths and file names I encounter when backing up eclipse and eclipse workspace directories. I suppose one could argue that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis https://youtu.be/doa9sA6q9Uw With so many great flavors of Linux to choose from, we asked our UNIX.com members what is their favorite Linux distro and why. Here are the results: What is your favorite Linux distro? ... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

What is Your Favorite Editor for Linux and UNIX? | A Video in 1080 HD

We have asked UNIX.com users over the years what is their favorite editor and why. Here is the top three answers. Here is a new YT video on this question: What Editor Does Everyone Use? https://youtu.be/gqE8RTZZt9g Of course, vi was the overwhelming favorite. Credits: 1080 HD... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
FONTFORGE(1)						      General Commands Manual						      FONTFORGE(1)

NAME
fontforge - create and modify PostScript, TrueType and SVG fonts SYNOPSIS
fontforge [-c string] [-cmap maptype] [-depth pixeld] [-display str] [-lang=ff] [-lang=py] [-last] [-library-status] [-help] [-keyboard ktype] [-new] [-nosplash] [-recover mode] [-script file] [-sync] [-usage] [-vc vclass] [-version] fontfile ... DESCRIPTION
The program fontforge allows you to create and modify font files, accepting input in the following formats (with associated file extensions appearing in parentheses): Glyph Bitmap Distribution (.bdf) Macintosh resource fonts (.dfont, .bin, .hqx) OpenType (.otf) fontforge spline font database (.sfd) POSTSCRIPT, which includes: ASCII format (.pfa) Binary format (.pfb) CID-keyed fonts, Adobe convention used primarily for Asian characters (.cid, .otf) POSTSCRIPT Type 0 (.ps) POSTSCRIPT Type 3 (.ps) Scaleable vector graphics fonts (.svg) TeX bitmap (.pk) TrueType (.ttf, .ttc) X11 bitmap (.pcf) If the argument list contains a font file name (or several), fontforge opens a fontview window for each font displaying the characters of the that font. In the absence of options or arguments, the program opens a file-picker window, allowing you to browse your disk to find a font file, or create a new one. This manual page is intended only as a rudimentary overview; see the HTML Users Manual for more complete information. OPTIONS
-c string Must be the first argument. Executes "string" as a set of scripting commands. Any additional arguments will be passed to the script. -cmap maptype Employ the specified method to control 8-bit colormaps, where maptype assumes one of these three values: current Attempt to allocate colors in the current (shared) colormap. The program will likely not find everything it requires. copy Allocate what can be allocated, then copy the current colormap; it can thus make use of cells other programs are using. private Create a new colormap and fill it with the required colors. -depth pixeld Attempt to employ a visual that matches the specified pixel depth, pixeld. -display str Employ the X display specified by the string str (for example: localhost:0). -help Display the usage description and start a web client displaying the online documentation. -keyboard ktype Alter the displayed menus to employ modifier keys appropriate to the specified keyboard type, where ktype assumes one of the follow- ing four values: ibm IBM PC type keyboard. mac Apple Macintosh keyboard. sun Sun workstation keyboard. ppc Macintosh keyboard, but on a system running SuSe linux (the mappings differ from those used under MacOS X). -last Opens whatever font you last edited with fontforge. If you specify n -last fontforge will open the last n fonts. -lang=ff Interpret the script with the fontforge interpreter. -lang=py Interpret the script with the python interpreter. -library-status Prints information about optional libraries. -new Create a new font with the ISO 8859-1 encoding (the international encoding standard for western Europe, and the standard for most X fonts). -nosplash Suppress display of the splash screen. -recover mode Control the crash recovery mechanism (helpful if crash recovery causes problems), where mode takes on one of three allowed settings: auto perform automatic recovery (default) if the program crashed before saving changes. clean Delete recovery information. none Suppress crash recovery. -script file Execute the script named file. Does not open the X display. This must be the first argument passed to fontforge. Any other argu- ments are handled by the scriptfile itself. Any other command line arguments will be passed to the script. The program contains a command interpreter which allows access to most but not all of its interactive features. If a scriptfile is executable, and if its first line contains the string "fontforge", then the argument -script may be omitted. This means that fontforge can be used as an interpreter. -sync Make X synchronous. Used primarily for debugging, this option slows X down. -usage Display the usage description. -vc vclass Attempt to use a visual that matches the class, vclass, specified as either the name of a visual class or an integer enumerating a visual class. -version Display the current version (a six digit string containing the date stamp of the source files). ENVIRONMENT
If any of the following environment variables exist, they are used: BROWSER Specifies the name of a browser program for examining documentation. AUTOTRACE Specifies the location of the autotrace program (usually FontForge can figure this out without help, but not always). MF Specifies the location of the metafont program. FONTFORGE_VERBOSE Turns on verbose mode in scripting. Each statement is printed as it is executed. FILES
~/.FontForge/autosave/ crash recovery directory /usr/local/share/fontforge/*.ui translations for the user interface /usr/local/share/doc/fontforge/*.html optional location for online documentation. /usr/local/share/fontforge/*.cidmap "encoding" files for Adobe's cid formats from http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/cidmaps.tgz SEE ALSO
sfddiff(1) The HTML version of the fontforge manual, available online at: http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/ NOTE
fontforge used to be called pfaedit. AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 2000-2007 by George Williams (gww@silcom.com). Original manual page by Tom Harvey, subsequently modified by George Williams. Heavily rewritten and modified to use standard -man (5) macros by R.P.C. Rodgers (rodgers@nlm.nih.gov), 23 October 2002. BUGS
Undoubtedly many, but unknown and ever changing. See http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/#known-bugs for a current list. 2 March 2004 FONTFORGE(1)